[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Head Start's Explorer Personal Computer.

snicoud@ATC.BOEING.COM (Stephen Nicoud) (12/08/89)

I pulled this off of comp.lang.lisp.  Does anyone have more informed info?

Article 2650 of comp.lang.lisp:
From: snicoud@bcsaic.UUCP (Stephen Nicoud)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: Explorer
Date: 8 Dec 89 05:55:24 GMT

In article <32052@news.Think.COM> barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
>I just saw a TV commercial for a home computer called "Explorer".  At first
>I thought, "What?  TI is marketing their Lisp Machine to home users?"  From
>the rest of the commercial I found out that it is a completely different
>machine by a different manufacturer.
>
>So, did TI forget to trademark the name "Explorer"?  Or are these new guys
>about to get their asses sued?

I, too, saw that commercial last night.  At the last X3J13 meeting, I
first heard about this new "Explorer" from the TI folks.

Apparently, TI has been aware of this and is pursuing it.  I believe,
however, that TI trademarked "Texas Instruments Explorer" and not just
"Explorer" which could account for why this other group [Head Start?]
went ahead with it.
--
Stephen Nicoud	<snicoud@atc.boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Advanced Technology Center for Computer Sciences