[comp.sys.ti.explorer] list callers.

) (01/06/90)

has anyone had trouble with list callers? I find it crashing the machine
most of the time (not saying it isn't my fault, given the various weird
things I do). today I got "the word DTP-TRAP was read someplace-or-other",
instead of crashing (an improvement).

 -- clint

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (01/06/90)

In article <9001060033.AA02673@ti.com> Clint Hyde writes:

> has anyone had trouble with list callers? I find it crashing the machine
> most of the time (not saying it isn't my fault, given the various weird
> things I do). today I got "the word DTP-TRAP was read someplace-or-other",
> instead of crashing (an improvement).
>
>  -- clint

It's probably not a problem with list-callers - if a word whose type bits are
DTP-TRAP is encountered, it means either that you are attempting to reference
a word which is in freespace (unallocated storage), or the garbage collector
has left junk around.  The latter is probably what is happening, since I've
seen that before.  This tends to mostly affect things which walk through
allocated memory looking for stuff, rather than following pointer chains.

If you get this kind of crash, warm booting will usually recover from it,
and you can tell what happened with report-last-shutdown or
report-all-shutdowns.  You might want to submit this to TI.

I was getting crashes like "Data illegal type: #x11 read from ..." for a
while, but this turned out to be caused by using Explorer I MCR 601 instead
of 602, which is the most recent version (I don't know the ExpII numbers).
Make sure you've got the right microcode.

If when you warm boot, the machine goes hands up again just after turning on
automatic GC, then you're probably hosed.  Try warm booting again, and typing
Terminal Control-C over and over, to get to the cold-load listener as soon
as possible.  Then call GC-OFF, and resume.  This might let you stay up long
enough to save your buffers.

		-- Jamie