[comp.sys.ti.explorer] X server AND MacTCP incompatibilites

rdominy@palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (02/09/90)

In article <9002070910.AA22367@lri.lri.fr> mvm@FRLRI61.BITNET writes:
> It is my understanding that the X server does not run on the
microExplorer
> and that TI is waiting for Apple to release their X server on the mac
> (under MacOS). My question is: has anyone tried to make it run with
> alternative X servers on the mac (for example Exodus). What would be
> involved in making it work (i.e. how much work).
One problem with the Mac X server (say Exodus or MacX) and a microExplorer
X client running on the same machine is that the microExplorer seems to
be incompatible with Apple's MacTCP drivers. I suspect that this is because
both MacTCP and the uExplorer are trying to insert their own handlers for
the same protocol.

Does anyone know if TI is working on this problem? It seems logical that they
could dump their own TCP drivers and use/license the MacTCP drivers.  The
current situation is a minor annoyance to me as I have to reboot without
the MacTCP drivers to use the uExplorer - it will become a major problem
soon when I'll need to run Mac application that uses TCP concurrently with
uExplorer for an upcomming project.

-------------------------------
Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

bonura@APPLE.COM (Thomas Bonura) (02/13/90)

I have been involved with this for several months now.  Yes,  TI is
working on the TCP driver problem.  The solution involves removing
any calls to their TCP and use MacTCp.  One would think that this would
not be a difficult fix but it was apparently harder than expected.  I
haven't checked with TI in a couple of weeks about the status but the
last thing I heard was that they were close to a pretty stable system.

I am less aware of the status of MacX but I know that TI has been
working on integrating it with the MX environment.  I can let you know
as things progress.

Tom Bonura
Advanced Technology Group
Apple Computer,
20525 Mariani Ave
Cupertino CA

(408)974-4538

acuff@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Richard Acuff) (02/13/90)

>>  I have been involved with this for several months now.  Yes,  TI is
>>  working on the TCP driver problem.  The solution involves removing
>>  any calls to their TCP and use MacTCp.  One would think that this would
>>  not be a difficult fix but it was apparently harder than expected.  I
>>  haven't checked with TI in a couple of weeks about the status but the
>>  last thing I heard was that they were close to a pretty stable system.

I believe one problem (that network types might be interested in) is that
MacTCP takes over all ARP packets, so the mX can't resolve Chaos addresses
into EtherNet addresses, effectively disabling Chaos networking.  The is a
deficiency that Apple needs to address.

	-- Rich