[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Trouble getting onto net

tanenbla@cs.columbia.edu (Michael Tanenblatt) (03/20/90)

Hello,

I have inherited an Explorer II from someone on campus, and I am trying to
connect the machine to the network.  I believe that the physical connections
are OK, and that I have set up the namespace correctly with the relevant
IP addresses set.  The problem is, when I try to connect to another machine
on the net using telnet or the VT100 emulator, I get the following message:

"No service was able to handle the CONNECT LOGIN operation."

Can anyone out there give me any clues as to what might be wrong or where
to proceed next?

Thanks in advance...Michael Tanenblatt

(tanenbla@cs.columbia.edu   mat1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu)

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar19.180343.15081@cs.columbia.edu> tanenbla@cs.columbia.edu (Michael Tanenblatt) writes:
> [...] The problem is, when I try to connect to another machine on the net
> using telnet or the VT100 emulator, I get the following message:
>
> "No service was able to handle the CONNECT LOGIN operation."
>
> Can anyone out there give me any clues as to what might be wrong or where
> to proceed next?

This is because the TI networking software is more than a little bit silly.
Even if a host supports a protocol, the Explorer won't even *try* to connect
to that host unless you have advertised that connect-option in the namespace.

Explorers should have these :SERVICES attributes:

	((:STATUS	:CHAOS		:CHAOS-STATUS)
	 (:STATUS	:TCP		:IP-STATUS)
	 (:MAIL-TO-USER :CHAOS-STREAM	:MAIL)
	 (:MAIL-TO-USER :TCP-STREAM	:SMTP)
	 (:LOGIN	:CHAOS-STREAM	:TELNET)
	 (:LOGIN	:TCP-STREAM	:TELNET)
	 (:FILE		:LOCAL		:LOCAL-FILE)
	 (:FILE		:CHAOS		:QFILE)
	 (:FILE		:TCP		:FTP)
	 (:TIME		:CHAOS-SIMPLE	:TIME-SIMPLE)
	 (:TIME		:UDP		:TIME-SIMPLE-MSB)
	 (:UPTIME	:CHAOS-SIMPLE	:UPTIME-SIMPLE)
	 (:SHOW-USERS	:CHAOS-STREAM	:NAME)
	 (:SHOW-USERS	:TCP-STREAM	:ASCII-NAME)
	 (:LISPM-FINGER	:CHAOS-SIMPLE	:LISPM-FINGER)
	 (:LISPM-FINGER	:UDP		:LISPM-FINGER)
	 )

Unix boxes should have these :SERVICES attributes:

	((:STATUS	:TCP		:IP-STATUS)
	 (:MAIL-TO-USER	:TCP-STREAM	:SMTP)
	 (:LOGIN	:TCP-STREAM	:TELNET)
	 (:FILE		:TCP		:FTP)
	 (:FILE		:LOCAL		:LOCAL-FILE)
	 (:TIME		:UDP		:TIME-SIMPLE-MSB)
	 (:SHOW-USERS	:TCP-STREAM	:ASCII-NAME)
	 )

Another bogosity that you may have to deal with is, if you have an Explorer
in your namespace which is on a different subnet, that Explorer cannot have
a Chaos address listed.  Chaos packets don't make it through network gateways,
and (apparently) the only way to convince an Explorer that another Explorer
must always be accessed via TCP is to delete the Chaos address.

		-- Jamie