[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Screen print file format

gardiner@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (David Gardiner) (05/03/90)

I am trying to send screen image files to a remote postscript printer
by uploading them to our Sequent (we do not have a printer direct
attached to the Explorer IIs).  Even though the printer is defined
as Postscript, the image files are in some kind of bitmap format.
Is there any way to have the system put Postscript code in a file?
If not, what bitmap format is used?

Thanks.

David
David Gardiner        University of Minnesota Computer Science Dept.
gardiner@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.193423.7100@cs.umn.edu> gardiner@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (David Gardiner) writes:

> I am trying to send screen image files to a remote postscript printer
> by uploading them to our Sequent (we do not have a printer direct
> attached to the Explorer IIs).  Even though the printer is defined
> as Postscript, the image files are in some kind of bitmap format.

The easiest way to do this is to get the code in
"spice.cs.cmu.edu: /usr/jwz/public/rexec/*"
which lets Explorers queue print requests to printers which are
attached to Unix machines.  The Explorer print software is totally
incompatible with the rest of the world, and the rexec code stomps
on it until it agrees to speak the unix LPD protocol.

> Is there any way to have the system put Postscript code in a file?

Probably not without hacking on the printer code a little bit.
If for some reason you can't use the code mentioned above, you might
be better off writing your own code to convert bitmaps to PostScript
and copying the file to your print server.  Or you could use the
code in "spice.cs.cmu.edu: /usr/jwz/public/compress-postscript.lisp"
which converts single-plane bitmaps to a run-length compressed PostScript
representation, which (unless you have a blindingly fast connection to
your printer) will print faster.

I've dealt with this sort of printer nonsense before, so if you have
any questions, feel free to ask.

		-- Jamie