[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Rel 6.1, and TI pulling out

Bjorn.Victor@docs.uu.se (Bjorn Victor) (11/23/90)

FYI:

TI Sweden came back to me yesterday and told me that release 6.1 is
scheduled for november 26 (in the US), and will take something like
two weeks to get here.

They also confirmed that they are now trying to port the environment
to standard UNIX machines (but they said something about C++, so I
don't think the person *really* knew what he was talking about).  He
wasn't sure about whether the release after 6.1 will be 6.2 or 7.0,
but then again, who could know...

Would any TIite care to comment this?

I for one will not hold my breath waiting for TI to port their
environment -- just look at how Xerox failed.

-- Bjorn Victor			Bjorn.Victor@DoCS.UU.SE
Dept. of Computer Systems    or Bjorn.Victor%DoCS.UU.SE@uunet.UU.NET
Uppsala University, Sweden	"I'd rather hack a Lisp Machine!"

pf@islington-terrace.csc.ti.com (Paul Fuqua) (12/01/90)

    Date: Friday, November 23, 1990  6:47am (CST)
    From: Bjorn.Victor at docs.uu.se (Bjorn Victor)
    Subject: Rel 6.1, and TI pulling out

    TI Sweden came back to me yesterday and told me that release 6.1 is
    scheduled for november 26 (in the US), and will take something like
    two weeks to get here.

Sounds about right.  My direct involvement in 6.1 ended on July 1 (I
haven't been part of the Explorer development group since Release 3, but
I spent eight months half-time working on CLIO), the band was roughly
finished a few weeks after, and the usual test/audit/release procedure
has been grinding along since.

    They also confirmed that they are now trying to port the environment
    to standard UNIX machines (but they said something about C++, so I
    don't think the person *really* knew what he was talking about).  He
    wasn't sure about whether the release after 6.1 will be 6.2 or 7.0,
    but then again, who could know...

    Would any TIite care to comment this?

I would care to, but frankly I don't know what they're doing.  I asked
the head of the Explorer project, and he tells me he doesn't know the
official story either, so I guess they're deciding higher up than that.
It's a different division and 200 miles away, so who knows?

Paul Fuqua                     pf@csc.ti.com, ti-csl!pf
Texas Instruments Computer Science Center, Dallas, Texas

"Hey, Joey!  Come look!  Erica's about to give blood!" -- AMC