[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Sound/Odyssey audio file format

johnk@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (dead guy.) (04/07/91)

Does anyone out there know the formats for either the standard TI
sound file or the odyssey board's record-speech-poll files?  What I'm
interested in doing is reordering the bytes that constituted the
actual audio data (ie, i want to play things backwards and such).

There was a waveform editor available on the archives at spice, but I
have been unable to get this program working for me (along with the
majority of the other software available there :( ).

Thanks.

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (04/07/91)

In article <46811@ut-emx.uucp> johnk@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (dead guy.) wrote:

> Does anyone out there know the formats for either the standard TI
> sound file or the odyssey board's record-speech-poll files?

"Use the force, read the source!"  See the definition of #'SAVE-SPEECH in
SYS:WINDOW;SOUND.LISP#>.  The format is something like

  the string "This is a sound file"
  followed by the length of the data as two 8-bit bytes (MSB, LSB)
  followed by the 8-bit samples

The sample-editor on spice does not use this format, however; 16 bits of
length only gives you 65535 samples, which at 8kHz is about 8.2 seconds of
sound.  I wanted to save samples that were longer than that, so I dump them
to a FASL file with SYS:DUMP-FORMS-TO-FILE.

> What I'm interested in doing is reordering the bytes that constituted the
> actual audio data (ie, i want to play things backwards and such).

Then you probably don't want to be dealing with files, anyway.  The file
format is irrelevant; just load it into memory and manipulate the sound-array
directly.

> There was a waveform editor available on the archives at spice, but I
> have been unable to get this program working for me (along with the
> majority of the other software available there :( ).

Well since the majority of the software available there was written by me,
you must be doing something wrong!  If you have a problem with a program,
you should ask its author.  Griping about it to the net in vague terms
isn't a very productive undertaking.

	-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>