[comp.sys.ti.explorer] Mx crashes MacIIfx under 7.0 in 32 bit mode

bonura@GOOFY ("Tom Bonura") (05/29/91)

Does anyone know if TI plans to rewrite the microexplorer driver such that it is
"32-bit clean"?  The version of the microexplorer which I have crashes a MacIIfx
when in 32 bit mode under Mac system 7.0.  The version of the driver which I am
using is 6.09.

Tom Bonura
|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
|Advanced Technology Group  |
|Apple Computer, Inc.       |
|20525 Mariani Ave. MS 76-3D|
|Cupertino, CA 95014        |
|                           |
|Phone: (408)974-4538       |
|e-mail: bonura@apple.com   |
|AppleLink: BONURA          |
|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++|

eam@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Emilio Agustin) (05/29/91)

In article <2884449118-811707@JEDI> bonura@GOOFY ("Tom Bonura") writes:
>Does anyone know if TI plans to rewrite the microexplorer driver such that it is
>"32-bit clean"?  The version of the microexplorer which I have crashes a MacIIfx
>when in 32 bit mode under Mac system 7.0.  The version of the driver which I am
>using is 6.09.

On a related note... We have a MicroExplorer inside a vanilla MacII
(yes the old ones with 800k floppy drives).
 The new system 7.0 seems to work ok except for the fact that the
cursor freezes. Not even booting with the installer disk works
(the cursor still freezes).

Does anybody know how to "defreeze" (:-) the mouse, or if the
problem is micro-Explorer related?

Thanks!.

Emilio Agustin			JANET:  eam@uk.ac.edinburgh.aipna
Dept. of AI			ARPA:   eam%uk.ac.ed.aipna@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
University of Edinburgh		UUCP:   ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk.aipna!eam
Scotland, U.K.

acuff@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Richard Acuff) (05/29/91)

As I understand it, there might be a problem with some Radius displays and
System 7.0, which results in a non-moving mouse after booting.

	-- Rich

acuff@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Richard Acuff) (05/30/91)

I would be surprised if the microExplorer application got fixed by TI to be
32 bit clean.  However, there are those that could probably do it for $$$.
However, the mX can still be used under 7.0 but not 32 bit clean.  (This
message is being composed with an mX running under 7.0).  To get this to work
even a little right I had to copy a KCHR resource from the microExplorer
document to the System file.  Then the Apple menu doesn't work but most other
things do.

	-- Rich

young@dsg.ti.com (Mark Young) (05/30/91)

  >  Subject: Re: Mx crashes MacIIfx under 7.0 in 32 bit mode
  >
  >  As I understand it, there might be a problem with some Radius displays and
  >  System 7.0, which results in a non-moving mouse after booting.
  >
  >  	-- Rich

 The problem with mac 7.0 and Radius displays is fixed by
 new roms in the Radius II Display controller card. I had
 very old controllers - I'm not sure what percentage of existing
 controllers would need the rom update.

eam@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Emilio Agustin) (05/30/91)

I already got a couple of responses that explains our mac's behaviour
with sistem 7.

In article <2884545206-1011965@LIBRA> young@dsg.ti.com (Mark Young) writes:

>  >  Subject: Re: Mx crashes MacIIfx under 7.0 in 32 bit mode
>  >
>  >  As I understand it, there might be a problem with some Radius displays and
>  >  System 7.0, which results in a non-moving mouse after booting.
>  >
>  >  	-- Rich
>
> The problem with mac 7.0 and Radius displays is fixed by
> new roms in the Radius II Display controller card. I had
> very old controllers - I'm not sure what percentage of existing
> controllers would need the rom update.

Yes, the culprit seems to be the Radius A4 display controller card.
We'll be contacting Radius to try to get the problem fixed.

We also need to move the KCHR resource from the uExplorer app. to the
System file (with ResEdit) as the uExplorer is currently unable to
install it itself.