[net.followup] Sinking of the Lermontov off New Zealand

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (02/19/86)

The following message was sent to me in response to my
note in net.general about the sinking of the M.Lermontov,
the Soviet cruise ship, off the coast of New Zealand last
weekend.  The message is from a correspondant of mine in
Moscow who participates in teleconferences running at the
University of Stockholm (Sweden):
To: Speakers_corner@QZCOM.MAILNET,
        "(Richard Friedman)" <well!rchrd@LLL-CRG.ARPA>
Subject:     The Sinking of the M.Lermontov

   It is awful indeed...    People here are shocked, one reason is that
crashes like that one haven't happened for many many years. Luckily
all the passengers have been resqued (all 408, as far as I know) but
one crew member (out of about 330) died.
     But the most terrible thing that happened this year was no dought
the blow of "Challenger". I saw people crying in the streets in Moscow
and in Kiev (from where I arrived next day after it Happened). The first
thing my wife asked me while meeting me in doors - "have you seen it on
TV - it is awful"...   It was a sort of a funeral atmosphere around...

    ...Richard Friedman [rchrd]
       Pacific-Sierra Research
       2855 Telegraph #415, Berkeley CA 94705
       (415) 540 5216

       USENET:  {lll-crg,ptsfa,hplabs}!well!rchrd