[alt.sources.amiga] Amiga Blues

guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) (08/07/90)

The Amiga is a VERY nice machine.  It's capabilities with graphics and
sound allow the machine great versitility and user-friendliness in a
UNIX-style environment.  Why are there no notes about this very very very
good machine?

jonb@specialix.co.uk (Jon Brawn) (08/07/90)

guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) writes:
>                         Why are there no notes about this very very very
>good machine?
Maybe no-one has any gripes about it, and are too busy using it.
--
Jon Brawn, Specialix, 3 Wintersells Road, Byfleet, Surrey, KT14 7LF, UK.
Tel: +44(0)9323-54254,	Fax:+44(0)9323-52781,	jonb@specialix.co.uk

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (08/07/90)

In article <20260001@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) writes:
>The Amiga is a VERY nice machine.  It's capabilities with graphics and
>sound allow the machine great versitility and user-friendliness in a
>UNIX-style environment.  Why are there no notes about this very very very
>good machine?

There are.  Try these newsgroups:
  comp.sys.amiga
  comp.sys.amiga.tech
  comp.sys.amiga.hardware
  comp.sys.amiga.games
  comp.sources.amiga
  comp.binaries.amiga

All of these together average about 150 posts a day in the summer and
some absurdly obnoxious way-out ridiculous figure of about probably 700
in one day during the rest of the year (when all the college students
are using their accounts).  I have seen upwards of 300 postings in one
day in just comp.sys.amiga.

Here are the reasons you don't see any postings _here_:
  (1)  This newsgroups is for source code (not like what I'm posting).
  (2)  There is already comp.sources.amiga.
  (3)  Fred Fish does a wonderful job of distributing source code.

I hope this eases your heavy Amiga blues.
"The machine minded material man                    Logan Shaw
 desperately dreams of a brand new sedan.           lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Wlll he expect long lasting gain                   ========================
 from a toy that will race then rust in the rain?" - elim Hall, Things Break

guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) (08/07/90)

Ok.  Ok....so I am looking in the wrong place!

alanh@hpsmeng1.HP.COM (Alan Haight) (08/07/90)

Ahhh, but their are many topics here on the AMIGA.
Just try one of these area's :

alt.sources.amiga
aus.computers.amiga
bit.listserv.i-amiga
comp.binaries.amiga
comp.sources.amiga
comp.sys.amiga
comp.sys.amiga.games
comp.sys.amiga.hardware
comp.sys.amiga.tech
uw.sys.amiga

 ;-) Alan

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (08/08/90)

In article <20260001@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) writes:
>The Amiga is a VERY nice machine.  It's capabilities with graphics and
>sound allow the machine great versitility and user-friendliness in a
>UNIX-style environment.  Why are there no notes about this very very very
>good machine?

Because IMHO, the people that make the Amiga lie through their teeth when
it comes to supporting the hardware and living up to their claims of
expandability. Especially, but probably not limited to, the A1000.

I'm not real crazy about buying any more Amiga equipment so that I can
be told things like:

	1. We don't support that hardware any more.
	2. We don't support that software any more.
	3. Our software doesn't have to be forward compatible.
	4. Our software doesn't have to be backward compatible.
	5. You have to reboot in order to run our program.
	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.
	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.
	8. Guru crashes are the fault of the Amiga, they are caused by
	   vendors who don't write software the way Commodore wants.

I love what the Amiga does. I hate what the Amiga does.
--
-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM
 As long as the systems are up, my employers don't care what I think

"Obviously, I am dealing with inferior mentalities."   -  Daffy Duck

In article <1037@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>In article <20260001@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) writes:
>>The Amiga is a VERY nice machine.  It's capabilities with graphics and
>>sound allow the machine great versitility and user-friendliness in a
>>UNIX-style environment.  Why are there no notes about this very very very
>>good machine?

>Because IMHO, the people that make the Amiga lie through their teeth when
>it comes to supporting the hardware and living up to their claims of
>expandability.

What are you on, acid or something?  Is the Amiga the only computer you've
ever had experience with?  Care to site just one case of where you have been
lied to?

>I'm not real crazy about buying any more Amiga equipment so that I can
>be told things like:

>	1. We don't support that hardware any more.

Computers are eventually out of date.  The A1000 is not made anymore, though
you can still get most of the parts.  Have you tried IBM for support on the
original PC lately?  How about Apple on the Apple I or the original Apple II?
Tandy on the TRS-80 model 1?  DEC on the PDP-8?  Sun on the Sun-2?  No computer
lasts for ever.

Still, the A1000 can be upgraded to do much of what an A2000 does by way of
third party add-ons, especially an internal device called "the Rejuvenator",
which gives the A1000 extra Chip memory, 512K ROMs, and a video slot.

>	2. We don't support that software any more.
>	3. Our software doesn't have to be forward compatible.
>	4. Our software doesn't have to be backward compatible.
>	5. You have to reboot in order to run our program.

All software is required to be upward compatible.  And it should exit
gracefully if it requires hardware of software revisions not present.  And
it's illegal to take over the machine.  All developers know these things.
But Commodore-Amiga can no more force developers to do things than IBM
or Microsoft can under MS-DOS or Apple can under MacOS.  You'll the same
story on any other platform -- good companies upgrade their software,
especially if failures are due to their own programming mistakes or dirty
tricks.  Bad companies often don't upgrade their software.  The Amiga's
overall probably got more programs that survive OS upgrades than most
systems.  Ever notice how many MS-DOS 4.0 users keep copies of 3.3 or 2.x
handy?  Or how many different versions of Finder the typical Mac owner
keeps around?  This is a problem, and it's up to all of us to badmouth
the companies that refuse to upgrade their software.

>	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.

That's completely illegal, and anyone claiming that will likely fail on
the Amiga 3000's backplane and be forced to fix their mistakes rather
than burden the user with them.  And you do find this kind of thing on
the ISA (PC/AT) bus as well.

>	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
>	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.

Just like with any computer, once you're out of on-board memory, you
need to add a memory board, not simply another chip.  Zorro II memory
boards for the 2000 can be had for under $300 for 2 Megs boards, under
$800 for 8 meg boards, which in fact does happen to work out to $100/Meg.
A1000 memory boards in their own case go for more like $400 for 2 megs.

>	8. Guru crashes are the fault of the Amiga, they are caused by
>	   vendors who don't write software the way Commodore wants.

Or, for that matter, the way Motorola requires it to be written to
function on the 68000.  The vast majority of GURUs are the result of
sloppy programming.  The Amiga is better at identifying software
failures than the PC/MS-DOS or the Mac, since programs run in User
mode while the Exec runs in Supervisor mode (eg, the way Motorola
intended it to be).  So the Amiga tells you of a failure, where the
Mac or PC might simply freeze up.

>-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM
      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/08/90)

In article <20260001@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> guest@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Guest) writes:
>The Amiga is a VERY nice machine.  It's capabilities with graphics and
>sound allow the machine great versitility and user-friendliness in a
>UNIX-style environment.  Why are there no notes about this very very very
>good machine?

There are many "notes" (aka net-news articles) on the Amiga.  You're looking
at the wrong newsgroup.  For instance, on my Unix system, the "news" program
reports the following:

newsgroup		highest article number		unexpired articles
-------------------	----------------------		------------------
alt.sources.amiga		00023				   1
comp.binaries.amiga		00753				 123
comp.sources.amiga		00617				  61
comp.sys.amiga			28919				7221
comp.sys.amiga.games		00743				  91
comp.sys.amiga.hardware		02860				1472
comp.sys.amiga.tech		08519				2253

So, tell the "notes" program that you want to read the comp.sys.amiga
newsgroup and you will be inundated with articles.  This newsgroup
(alt.sources.amiga) is the "other" newsgroup for posting the sources
to programs that run on the Amiga.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (08/09/90)

In article <13697@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1037@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>
>>Because IMHO, the people that make the Amiga lie through their teeth when
>>it comes to supporting the hardware and living up to their claims of
>>expandability.
>
>What are you on, acid or something?  Is the Amiga the only computer you've
>ever had experience with?  Care to site just one case of where you have been
>lied to?

Uh, no, I don't drink cola. No, the amiga isn't the only computer, in
fact I have run more different kinds of systems than I can even
remember, but that's not the point. I say they lie because they make
promises that never come true....at least, not without buying/upgrading
another system. 1000 -> 2000 -> 3000 -> 4000. Basically, I was told the
Amiga 1000 would be a true, expandable, multi-user system. The fact that
the expansions do not work unless they are the last one on the bus, and
I have to reboot to run most of the programs that really use graphics,
means that they lied. More importantly, they tried to cover up the fact
that they promised more than they could deliver and then tried to blame
it on everyone but themselves.

>>I'm not real crazy about buying any more Amiga equipment so that I can
>>be told things like:
>>	1. We don't support that hardware any more.
>
>Computers are eventually out of date.  The A1000 is not made anymore, though
>you can still get most of the parts.  Have you tried IBM for support on the
>original PC lately?  How about Apple on the Apple I or the original Apple II?
>Tandy on the TRS-80 model 1?  DEC on the PDP-8?  Sun on the Sun-2?  No computer
>lasts for ever.

But I bought a product that SHOULD last more than 2 years. As soon as
the 2000 came out, the support for the 1000 dropped like eagle full of
rocks. My friends on their AT's still can buy equipment for them, and some
people are STILL selling those things.

Your point is not lost on me, but I had problems from the beginning. I
have NEVER gotten FULL use of this GREAT machine due to fights between
Commodore and its vendors and the and lack of hardware and lack of a large
customer base like the IBM and Apple (which I don't use anyway, and just
FYI, I am using a Sun2-50 to write this message, ;-), I also have UNIX
running on a VAX 11-750, so why not? I mean, I'm still playing Rocket
Ranger on my A1000, I just have to reboot the thing to play the game
on a multi-tasking system. Don't seem right, somehow.

>Still, the A1000 can be upgraded to do much of what an A2000 does by way of
>third party add-ons, especially an internal device called "the Rejuvenator",
>which gives the A1000 extra Chip memory, 512K ROMs, and a video slot.
>All software is required to be upward compatible.  And it should exit
>gracefully if it requires hardware of software revisions not present.  And
>it's illegal to take over the machine.  All developers know these things.

But they do it anyway...and they all say its due to those requirements
that it doesn't work. Some of them MUST be telling the truth. I have
heard of the Rejuvenator, but not until I told myself I wouldn't buy any
more hardware for a computer that has no support. I suppose I owe it to
myself to investigate this possibility.

>But Commodore-Amiga can no more force developers to do things than IBM
>or Microsoft can under MS-DOS or Apple can under MacOS.  You'll the same
>story on any other platform -- good companies upgrade their software,
>especially if failures are due to their own programming mistakes or dirty
>tricks.  Bad companies often don't upgrade their software.  The Amiga's
>overall probably got more programs that survive OS upgrades than most
>systems.  Ever notice how many MS-DOS 4.0 users keep copies of 3.3 or 2.x
>handy?  Or how many different versions of Finder the typical Mac owner
>keeps around?  This is a problem, and it's up to all of us to badmouth
>the companies that refuse to upgrade their software.

I do, I do. One of my favorite things to do in the world is point out
bugs to software vendors....usually, it becomes real obvious who is good
and who ain't by the way they handle the information.

>>	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.
>
>That's completely illegal, and anyone claiming that will likely fail on
>the Amiga 3000's backplane and be forced to fix their mistakes rather
>than burden the user with them.  And you do find this kind of thing on
>the ISA (PC/AT) bus as well.

But I have an A1000 that was DESIGNED to do this, and it don't work.
Illegal or not, they still do it. Allegra for one, and they are the ones
charging me an arm/leg for the extra memory and then saying it may or
may not work.

>>	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
>>	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.
>
>Just like with any computer, once you're out of on-board memory, you
>need to add a memory board, not simply another chip.  Zorro II memory
>boards for the 2000 can be had for under $300 for 2 Megs boards, under
>$800 for 8 meg boards, which in fact does happen to work out to $100/Meg.
>A1000 memory boards in their own case go for more like $400 for 2 megs.

8 meg for a Intel 386 machine is $700.00 RETAIL! I'm mad cause Allegra,
(who owns the Amiga division I'm told?!?!?) wants to charge me over $400
for ONE LOUSY MEG. This ain't right, chillun.

>>	8. Guru crashes are [NOT] (sic) the fault of the Amiga, they are
>>	   caused by vendors who don't write software the way Commodore wants.
>
>So the Amiga tells you of a failure, where the
>Mac or PC might simply freeze up.

I'm used to UNIX, I'll take your word for this one. Don't get me wrong,
I like the Amiga alot. But several years of frustration came out in my
last message, and it had to come from somewhere over the Amiga rainbow.

All I want is the graphics and sound of the Amiga combined with the
speed, power and functionality of UNIX along with the expandibility of
a mainframe on my desk at home. But I can't afford a Silicon Graphics
machine.
--
-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM
 As long as the systems are up, my employers don't care what I think

"Obviously, I am dealing with inferior mentalities."   -  Daffy Duck

stevef@bony1.uucp (Steve Faiwiszewski) (08/09/90)

Guys,
        In case you haven't noticed, this is a SOURCES newsgroup.
Please STOP posting noise messages here.  There are more appropriate
groups. Thanx (no flames please).
        - Steve -

--
Disclaimer : My employer disavows any knowledge of my actions
Internet: stevef@bony1.UUCP	|	    Steve Faiwiszewski

hamilton@intersil.uucp (08/09/90)

In article <1045@flash.UUCP>, klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
> But I bought a product [an Amiga 1000] that SHOULD last more than 2
> years. As soon as
> the 2000 came out, the support for the 1000 dropped like eagle full of
> rocks. My friends on their AT's still can buy equipment for them, and some
> people are STILL selling those things.

That's interesting.  I've got an Amiga 1000 with a 65M hardrive, a 68030 with
4M 32 bit fast ram, and I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time rationalizing the
purchase of an Amiga 3000, which I really want to do because it's new, sexy,
and does everything at least a little bit better than my 1000.  But I haven't
been able to do it.  I can't think of anything that I use my Amiga for (DTP,
WP, games, programming) that I can't do as well with my 1000.  The extra
be nice, the additional speed would be nice, but overall I can't justify it.
The last thing I feel is left out in the cold because I bought a 1000.

> I mean, I'm still playing Rocket
> Ranger on my A1000, I just have to reboot the thing to play the game
> on a multi-tasking system. Don't seem right, somehow.

So complain to Cinemaware.  If a game crashes an Apple or IBM you don't
whine about the platform, it's just lousy software.  It's a good enough
game it never bothered me too much that I had to spend an extra 30 seconds
waiting for it to start.  As a matter of fact, almost nothing you've
mentioned has ever bothered me.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (08/10/90)

[Followups have been pointed to comp.sys.amiga.]

In article <1045@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
   In article <13697@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
   But I bought a product that SHOULD last more than 2 years. As soon as
   the 2000 came out, the support for the 1000 dropped like eagle full of
   rocks. My friends on their AT's still can buy equipment for them, and some
   people are STILL selling those things.

Yes, support for the 1000 vanished when the 2000 appeared. That
steamed a lot of users (me among them). If CBM actually fails to ship
2.0 for the 1000, they're going to steam a lot more users. However, if
you look in the right places, you can still buy hardware for the 1000
- good expansion boxes, memory cards, accelerators, etc.

   >All software is required to be upward compatible.  And it should exit
   >gracefully if it requires hardware of software revisions not present.  And
   >it's illegal to take over the machine.  All developers know these things.

   But they do it anyway...and they all say its due to those requirements
   that it doesn't work. Some of them MUST be telling the truth.

I've watched several times as developers have argued with each other
over whether or not any piece of software _has_ to take over the
machine and require a reboot. There are good reasons for doing that
(usually related to performance). There are also ways to take complete
control of the Amiga. They aren't pretty, but they do exist. However
developers still just give up, and write software that doesn't follow
those rules.  There's only 1 good reason I've ever seen for that: "My
software just barely fits in 512K now; if I do it the legal way, it
won't run on the base-level machine anymore."

In other words, the people involved aren't competent enough to make
their program behave correctly in low-memory situations. They are
telling the truth - if they follow the rules, it doesn't work. If they
were competent, it would work. Check out things like  "Their Finest
Hour" to see that it can be done right.

You can help with this problem by refusing to buy games that don't
follow the rules.

   >>	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.
   >
   >That's completely illegal, and anyone claiming that will likely fail on
   >the Amiga 3000's backplane and be forced to fix their mistakes rather
   >than burden the user with them.  And you do find this kind of thing on
   >the ISA (PC/AT) bus as well.

   But I have an A1000 that was DESIGNED to do this, and it don't work.

No, the A1000 wasn't DESIGNED to do that. People making SOTS cards for
the A1000 are breaking the rules. If you do it right, those problems
tend to vanish. Right means buying a Zorro expansion box, and putting
everything in it. Trouble is, the CBM Zorro I -> Zorro II change
happened at about the same time as the A2000 introduction, killing
most of the expansion boxes. There are still some to be had, though.

   >>	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
   >>	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.
   >
   >Just like with any computer, once you're out of on-board memory, you
   >need to add a memory board, not simply another chip.  Zorro II memory
   >boards for the 2000 can be had for under $300 for 2 Megs boards, under
   >$800 for 8 meg boards, which in fact does happen to work out to $100/Meg.
   >A1000 memory boards in their own case go for more like $400 for 2 megs.

   8 meg for a Intel 386 machine is $700.00 RETAIL!

Considering the difference in the size of the markets, I'd say the
Amiga was doing pretty good to get that close to the IBM market.  But
it's better than that.  Retail prices for a bare 8meg board on the
amiga is about $200. Prices after that is usually less than $100/meg.
$50/meg is what Fry's charges for memory for the two Zorro memory
boards I sold last month.  That comes to 8 meg for $600 - at retail
outlets.

   I'm mad cause Allegra,
   (who owns the Amiga division I'm told?!?!?) wants to charge me over $400
   for ONE LOUSY MEG. This ain't right, chillun.

If that's $300 for a SOTS card and $100 for a meg, that's a little
high, but not outrageous.

   All I want is the graphics and sound of the Amiga combined with the
   speed, power and functionality of UNIX along with the expandibility of
   a mainframe on my desk at home. But I can't afford a Silicon Graphics
   machine.

You're screwing yourself (with some help from CBM). You bought a
machine with excellent expandability, then threw it away buying cheap
expansion boxes. You buy a multitasking machine, then buy software
that takes over the machine (I can point you to software for Unix
boxes that acts the same way).

These things are _not_ the fault of the machine or CBM. The only thing
that you can blame on CBM is that quality expansion boxes were a long
time coming, and that the price of the box is higher than it should
be.

	<mike
--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

In article <1045@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>In article <13697@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>What are you on, acid or something?  Is the Amiga the only computer you've
>>ever had experience with?  Care to site just one case of where you have been
>>lied to?

>Uh, no, I don't drink cola. No, the amiga isn't the only computer, in
>fact I have run more different kinds of systems than I can even
>remember, but that's not the point. I say they lie because they make
>promises that never come true....at least, not without buying/upgrading
>another system. 1000 -> 2000 -> 3000 -> 4000. Basically, I was told the
>Amiga 1000 would be a true, expandable, multi-user system.

The Amiga 1000 is a true system.  It is also expandable.  It was never sold
as a mult-user system, and to date, no Amigas are being sold as multi-user
systems.  The Amiga OS is by definition a single user multitasking OS and
Commodore has never claimed anything to the contrary.

>The fact that the expansions do not work unless they are the last one on the
>bus,

First of all, what expansion configuration do you have?  Commodore supports
two kinds of expansion mechanisms for the A1000 -- A **SINGLE** SOTS (Slap
On The Side) box, or a Zorro II compatible card cage.  Commodore does not
endorse daisy-chained SOTS boxes, and has never produced any device with a
passthrough connector.  If you have a gripe with this kind of device, your
gripe is with the company who made it, not Commodore or the Amiga itself.  I
asked you for details to support your claims, but you return nothing but
nebulous ramblings.

>and I have to reboot to run most of the programs that really use graphics,

I've used roughly 30 programs that use graphics.  Programs like Deluxe Paint,
Professional Draw, Sculpt-Animate 4D, etc.  The ONLY programs I have ever
encountered that require reboot are a subset of the available video games
on the market.  These are doing things that Commodore tells their Developers
not to do.  Commodore can't force any non-Commodore agency to do anything.
Your gripe, again, is not with the Amiga here.  If you buy a game that claims
to run under the operating system, and then actually requires you to reboot,
you have indeed been lied to, but by that game's creator.  Much the same as
on other systems.

>I mean, I'm still playing Rocket Ranger on my A1000, I just have to reboot
>the thing to play the game on a multi-tasking system. Don't seem right,
>somehow.

It isn't right.  There's nothing Commodore can do, really, to force authors
to use the OS.  But you are getting a little carried away here, really.  It
is only a couple of games that you're complaining about in this respect.
No non-game program ever written for the Amiga, at least to my knowledge,
throws out the OS.  About 1/2 the games out there are well behaved with
respect to the OS.  Personally, I don't really care that much about games on
this system, I use the thing to get work done.  Those games that are well
behaved will continue to work on more advanced hardware and OS releases, while
those that break the rules will eventually cease to work.  Let the buyer beware
is a good rule, regardless of whether you're buying a $40 game or a $400 word
processor.  Companies that write good, bug free code and use the OS will
ultimately be rewarded with a good reputation, customer loyalty, and many
fewer customer support nightmares.  Same as on any other system; all those
Mac programs that didn't follow Apple's rules are breaking under Multifinder,
on the Mac IIci or IIfx, and more will die when their new OS is released.

>>And it's illegal to take over the machine.  All developers know these things.

>But they do it anyway...and they all say its due to those requirements
>that it doesn't work. Some of them MUST be telling the truth.

Huh?  The vast majority of developers do things the right way, and don't get
into any trouble when new hardware or system software comes along.  Most of
the ones who through out the OS are simply being lazy, programming as if they
were on a C64.  If they tell you they have to throw out the OS, they are very
likely lying to you.  A very small percentage of video games may need to
take over the machine to go as fast as their authors would like them to go.
It's up to you whether you buy there or not.

>>>	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.

>But I have an A1000 that was DESIGNED to do this, and it don't work.

Again, huh?  The A1000 doesn't have an expansion bus, it has a single expansion
connector.  You can hang one device on that, or you can hand an expansion box
on that.  Any of these multiple-box configurations are doomed to failure, and
Commodore doesn't claim anything different.  If a developer chooses to disobey
the rules, that's bad, but there's nothing we can do to stop them.

>>>	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
>>>	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.

>8 meg for a Intel 386 machine is $700.00 RETAIL!

Microbotics sells an 8 meg board for the A2000 which I've seen for $750, and
you can probably find it for less.  The obvious problem with the 1000 is that
you need a place to put that board.  That's why the A2000 has the built-in
slots; you more for an A2000 than an A1000 or A500, but you'll make up for
it if you expand the thing.

>I'm mad cause Allegra, (who owns the Amiga division I'm told?!?!?) wants to
>charge me over $400 for ONE LOUSY MEG. This ain't right, chillun.

First of all, Allegra is a third party product, it has nothing to do with
Commodore-Amiga.  Commodore-Amiga, Inc. is a division of Commodore
Internation Limited.  Secondly, if they charge too much, look elsewhere.
This is a free market, and they charge what they believe the market will
bear.  With about 150,000 units, some of which are out of the market from
Commodore's "upgrade to A2000" offers, no one's selling alot of these
things.  I think the Microbotics Starboard goes for about $400 for 2 megs.

>>So the Amiga tells you of a failure, where the
>>Mac or PC might simply freeze up.

>I'm used to UNIX, I'll take your word for this one.

UNIX is very nice in this respect; it is extremely difficult for a user
program to bring the system down.  This capability (protected operating
systems) are moving onto PCs, but only to some degree.  The low end machines
like the A1000 simply cannot offer such protection; they don't have the
required MMU hardware.  High end Amigas like the 2500s and 3000s are capable
of running UNIX, which of course can give you such protection.  The current
thrust under the Amiga OS is to provide developer tools that will trap such
errant behavior using the MMUs on the high end systems.  When developers fix
these kind of bugs (and there are an amazing number of these kind of bugs
in some commercial programs), you'll see far fewer software errors, even down
at the low end.  The _majority_ of software vendors aren't intentionally
writing bad or buggy software, if anything, they're just rushing things to
keep up with the competition.

>All I want is the graphics and sound of the Amiga combined with the
>speed, power and functionality of UNIX along with the expandibility of
>a mainframe on my desk at home. But I can't afford a Silicon Graphics
>machine.

No much to ask, eh?  You need something between a SG machine and an A1000,
like something in the A3000 range, to actually run UNIX.  The Amiga OS
does have some advantages over UNIX: it's faster, it's more interactive
(real-time response), it runs in much less memory, it runs on cheaper
machines (68000 based), it takes less disk space, it's ROMable, it supports
user-installable device drivers and filesystems, etc.  Except for the chance
of a user program crashing it, I like just about everything about the Amiga OS
better than UNIX.  But they are two different animals.  For floppy based
A500s, you absolutely need Amiga OS.  For multiuser setups, you absolutely
need UNIX.  For the in-between, single user hard disk based system, either OS
will work; the choice may depend on your personal perferences and the job that
has to be done.  And, of course, UNIX isn't available just yet.

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (08/10/90)

+
+>All I want is the graphics and sound of the Amiga combined with the
+>speed, power and functionality of UNIX along with the expandibility of
+>a mainframe on my desk at home. But I can't afford a Silicon Graphics
+>machine.
+

Sorry, I just had to add a few cents here.  I spent a good bit of the summer
working on a program, and some of the development was on a SGI machine (a
Personal Iris).  I cannot really vouch for the fact that any right-thinking
American would wish this machine on him(her)self.  Don't get me wrong; the
hardware is very nice.  The display is stunning, the cpu can really churn,
etc.  However, the windowing system is so slow as to be unuseable, even on a
machine proported to have one of the fastest graphics systems around, and the
implementation on UNIX is among the buggiest I have encountered.  At one time
our program was dumping core *inside the malloc() routine*.  If malloc dumps
core (apparently because of a bit of memory fragmentation; rebooting the
computer would temporarily clear things up), god only knows what fun lies in
wait in the rest of the system.  Sun machines may be less trendy, but they
sure are stable.  Hell, the Beta AmigaOS 2.0's I've seen were more stable.
By an Amiga 3000 and get happy, friend.

+
+>-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM
+
+--
+Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

-kenny
--
         Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
          Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (08/10/90)

>another system. 1000 -> 2000 -> 3000 -> 4000. Basically, I was told the
>Amiga 1000 would be a true, expandable, multi-user system. The fact that
>the expansions do not work unless they are the last one on the bus, and
>I have to reboot to run most of the programs that really use graphics,
>means that they lied. More importantly, they tried to cover up the fact
>that they promised more than they could deliver and then tried to blame
>it on everyone but themselves.
>
>heard of the Rejuvenator, but not until I told myself I wouldn't buy any
>more hardware for a computer that has no support. I suppose I owe it to
>myself to investigate this possibility.
>
>I do, I do. One of my favorite things to do in the world is point out
>bugs to software vendors....usually, it becomes real obvious who is good
>and who ain't by the way they handle the information.

Have you looked at the expansion boxes for the A1000 which provide ZorroII
slots.  I know they aren't free, and it would have been preferable to have
had vendors make Zorro I products in the first place... but they didn't.  So
let's try and find the best solution for you.  The NET should be trying to
find answers for this problem.  I hope you don't get any "love it or leave it"
hardware) that compatibility does matter a great deal to Amiga owners.  I don't
think Commodore bashing is appropriate in this case either.

I bought my A500 over an A2000 on the HOPE that products would become available
for the expansion slot.  My gamble has paid off.  I have had 2 Megs RAM,
2 hard drives, and an Easyl all hanging off the slot.  Because Commodore
provides the CAPABILITY to do all these wonderful things does not mean they
guarantee to provide all the additional gizmos we want.  We vote with our $$$
which products we want manufacturers to provide.  Granted Commodore could have
done some things to increase sales of the original A1000 (like taking out ads)
which would have made a more attractive market for vendors.  Other than that,
I think Commodore HAS made a real effort to make their products expandable.
The A1000 upgrade offer was a much more reasonable upgrade offer than Apple's
Mac upgrades.  Hmmm, I can't seem to recall IBM's upgrade offers.

martens@iguana.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (08/10/90)

In article <3391@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:

	[ ... ]

>etc.  However, the windowing system is so slow as to be unuseable, even on a
>machine proported to have one of the fastest graphics systems around

	[ ... ]

Sounds like X11 to me.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)
"Life is like a bad margarita with good tequila, I thought as I poured
whiskey onto my granola and faced a new day."
	-- Peter Applebome, International Imitation Hemingway Competition

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (08/11/90)

>The Amiga 1000 is a true system.  It is also expandable.  It was never sold
>as a mult-user system, and to date, no Amigas are being sold as multi-user
>systems.  The Amiga OS is by definition a single user multitasking OS and
>Commodore has never claimed anything to the contrary.

Sorry, multitasking is what I meant...and if ya gotta reboot, it ain't.
I'm going to kill myself later today for making that mistake, and I'll
just hate myself in the morning. That should make up for it.

As for the rest of my nebulous ramblings that you responded to with your
hard, cold facts....you are right. I was wrong to question the great Amiga
Gods and their seeming ability to produce more hardware in three years
than IBM.

All I'm saying is this: Why don't they produce an AMIGA that will do
what people want and expect and were promised from the beginning? Then,
take the money that will pour in and develop the next generation. It
seems as though each new piece of iron is to fix the problems of the
last piece. With software I can appreciate the idea of updates, with
costly hardware, I cannot. Especially and possibly limited to: MY $$$$ ;-)

Give me that Amiga I so desire the first time, then in 5 years give me
enough new possibilities to make the new generation of iron worth the cost.

-Kevin
--

In article <1055@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
> All I'm saying is this: Why don't they produce an AMIGA that will do
> what people want and expect and were promised from the beginning?

They did. They have no control over the sort of crap PC-freak third-party
developers pull.

> It seems as though each new piece of iron is to fix the problems of the
> last piece.

Really? They look more like enhancements than bug-fixes to me. What problems
are you talking about?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (08/13/90)

In relation to this discussion (I won't quote as I am not responding IN
SPECIFIC to anyone) that is on the sources base...

I have a A1000 (one of the first 10 sold in NJ BTW - I worked at the store)
with 2.5 MEG of RAM , a hard drive, a 10 meg removable storage unit, 2
floppies, Genloc, Frame Grabber and audio digitizer.

Note that there are 2 devices on the bus, and when I have my other 1 MEG
expansion it was 3 .. all with pass thru. I NEVER had a problem with that
bus.

Some folks I know that DID have a problem solved it with a simple grounding
mod.

It is NOT C='s fault that some stupid developer could read a spec sheet for
his life and built it wrong.

The problem is that most PC owners will "accept" that "it isn't compatible
with your machine" stuff .. so the developers are used to getting away with
it.

I can run ALL the software that is available today (with the exception of
020/030 only programs) and have YET to see a reason to buy a 2000/2500. I
WILL get a 3000 though ;=).

My A1000 has done EVERYTHING I have asked, and pays my rent.

What more does anyone want ?

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]========
=      "And in the darkened offices, the terminals shine like stars."      =
============= Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ==================
= NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either             =
= Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.              =
==== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) (08/14/90)

  [Please note followup. This _IS_ a religious issue, and doesn't
belong in alt.sources.amiga. ]

In article <1037@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>Because IMHO, the people that make the Amiga lie through their teeth when
>it comes to supporting the hardware and living up to their claims of
>expandability. Especially, but probably not limited to, the A1000.

  Nope, just the A1000.

>	2. We don't support that software any more.

  Only broken software that didn't follow the rules.

>	3. Our software doesn't have to be forward compatible.

  Well, better to break it, than to do an IBM and just continue to
sell faster, more expensive, and less compatible hardware to fix what
is essentially a software problem. I overheard one fellow complain
that SPSS was too slow on his 33MHZ 386 with a Wren III disk.
  I asked him what OS is was running and then launghed.

>	4. Our software doesn't have to be backward compatible.

  Don't buy it. I agree that 2.0 should have been 1.4, and
2.0 SHOULDN'T have had a 'dos.library'

>	5. You have to reboot in order to run our program.

  Don't buy it. There are better ways.

>	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.

  The A1000 was not originally designed to be daisy chained.
The 2000 and 3000 have no such problems, and the only thing
stopping you from using your Zorro II cards in a 3000 is that
the 3500 isn't out, so you might run out of slots, and you
might stay up at night worying about not having 32 bit performance
out of your 16 bit boards.

>	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
>	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.

  Particularly if you insist on upgrading your 1000.
  You are right  -- you got sucked into buying a prototype. I couldn't
afford it at the time and then the 500 and 2000 came out. I could have
gotten a 500 a year and half earlier than when I got the 2000. I waited.

>	8. Guru crashes are the fault of the Amiga, they are caused by
>	   vendors who don't write software the way Commodore wants.

  What exactly ARE you saying?

>I love what the Amiga does. I hate what the Amiga does.

  Agreed.
--
   :!mcr!:            | < political commentary currently undergoing Senate >
   Michael Richardson | < committee review. Returning next house session.  >

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (08/14/90)

In article <138.26c18ff6@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp writes:

>That's interesting.  I've got an Amiga 1000 with a 65M hardrive, a 68030 with
>4M 32 bit fast ram, and I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time rationalizing the
>purchase of an Amiga 3000, which I really want to do because it's new, sexy,
>and does everything at least a little bit better than my 1000.  But I haven't
>been able to do it.  I can't think of anything that I use my Amiga for (DTP,
>WP, games, programming) that I can't do as well with my 1000.  The extra
>be nice, the additional speed would be nice, but overall I can't justify it.
>The last thing I feel is left out in the cold because I bought a 1000.

Yeh, and how much cash did you lay out to get it there? And how long did
you wait after the A1000 first came out before it was available? Sheesh.

>So complain to Cinemaware.  If a game crashes an Apple or IBM you don't
>whine about the platform, it's just lousy software.

First off, for the record, I think that Apples and IBM are EVIL, dig?
Second, just because Apple and IBM should jump off a cliff, does that mean
Commodore should also? That's like saying since Pintos explode on impact,
that I shouldn't be unhappy when my Cadillac does the same thing.

Third, I should complain to Cinemaware, (Actually, I did) who is at least
producing some games I like, instead of Commodore, who apparently is so
difficult to work with from a vendor standpoint, that most would rather
not. And don't flame me for this one, I didn't make it up and I heard
it all the time, back when I was trying to get software/hardware for my
A1000.

They were all wrong, and Commodore was right? The reason I heard, from
more than one vendor, was that apparently Commodore didn't release any specs
until they released the product. That seems like a real intelligent move
when you have the world's second tiniest customer base.

So I ended up with a GREAT fucking machine, that wouldn't run any decent
games, not to mention Business software, because they were not available,

And before you flame me for more "whining", it was a full year or more
after I bought my 1000, before I could get ANY worthwhile software for
the Amiga, except maybe from EA. And they don't do nuthin but games that
I'm aware of...Hardware was available, but it cost a fortune because of
the small customer base. And as I said before, it didn't all work together.
If Commodore isn't responsible for its vendors directly, they certainly
had a vested interest in working WITH those vendors instead of leaving
them in the dark because they (Commodore) didn't make any immediate $$$
from helping them.

But, you're probably right, I shouldn't question authority, after all,
the exploding Pinto wasn't Ford's fault, right?
--

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (08/15/90)

In article <1056@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
   And before you flame me for more "whining", it was a full year or more
   after I bought my 1000, before I could get ANY worthwhile software for
   the Amiga, except maybe from EA. And they don't do nuthin but games that
   I'm aware of...

You're not very aware. Then again, that's been apparent since your
second post. EA has a fair number of productivity tools on the market,
with names like Deluxe XYZZY. Deluxe Paint was available from day one.
I got my C compiler before the end of March, 86 - and it only took
that long because the things had sold out at the local dealer.

   Hardware was available, but it cost a fortune because of
   the small customer base. And as I said before, it didn't all work together.

Neither of which is CBM's fault.

And, if you were more aware, you'd realize that _everything_ you
complain about (as opposed to what you report hearing from vendors,
many of whom are apparently either lieing, or as badly informed as you
are) for the Amiga was true for every other machine when it was
released, unless it was compatable with some previous machine so that
there was a pre-existing software and/or hardware base.

You did something daring - you bought a new machine that had no
existing customer, support, hardware, or software base. Expecting it
to develop any of those overnight, and expecting products in them to
be anywhere near as cheap as machines that had been around for years,
is at best naive.

Those who knew what they were getting into are mostly happy, though
not completely so. However, over the years, we've seen a number of
people who bought Amigas when they were new who then bitched that they
weren't everything an IBM PC was. That's sort of like complaing
because you it's harder to get parts for your Ferrari than for a Ford.
It's obvious you're going to have that problem, and there's no one to
blame for not seeing it but yourself.

Most of those whiners finally either shut up when the software they
wanted appeared, or went out and bought machines that suited their
needs. The hardware and software you want is certainly out there. Yes,
it's going to cost more than for an IBM PC or a Mac if it's going to
work well (as opposed to the way the IBM and Mac stuff works). You
want quality, you gotta pay for it. You want cheap, then you're going
to have headaches.

Remember, you never get more than two of the following three: good,
fast, cheap. And it's hard to even get two.

	<mike
--
When all our dreams lay deformed and dead		Mike Meyer
We'll be two radioactive dancers			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

stergios@portia.Stanford.EDU (stergios marinopoulos) (08/15/90)

speaking of winers, is this the same mwm that went on and on and on
and on about the new bus specs, that they were incompatible, and
finally bryce made a custom jig for?  my, how people change.

sm

In article <STERGIOS.90Aug14172526@sunsweet.Stanford.EDU> stergios@portia.Stanford.EDU (stergios marinopoulos) writes:

   speaking of winers, is this the same mwm that went on and on and on
   and on about the new bus specs, that they were incompatible, and
   finally bryce made a custom jig for?  my, how people change.

Not it isn't. Bryce never made the custom jig. CBM cost me thousands
of dollars and months of time by making what amounted to a cosmetic
change. If you read what I've written here carefully, you'll see that
I mention that change as a justifiable reason to be pissed, because it
caused expansion hardware to be delayed and A1000 expansion hardware
to cost more than it should.

I never flamed CBM about what the vendors did - that's not CBM's
fault. I never flamed CBM for promising one thing and delivering
another - for the most part, they delivered on their promises. I never
flamed the software vendors for providing software that didn't
multitask - I rarely have problems with that. All I ever did was flame
CBM for doing everything they could to kill the A1000 expansion
market. That resulted in expansion hardware being delayed and
overpriced. If you tried to buy hardware at reasonable prices/times
(i.e. - what it would have been if CBM hadn't made those changes), it
was unreliable because it didn't follow spec. That wasn't CBMs fault.

So what's the change?

	<mike
--
How many times do you have to fall			Mike Meyer
While people stand there gawking?			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

In article <1056@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>In article <138.26c18ff6@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp writes:

>>That's interesting.  I've got an Amiga 1000 with a 65M hardrive, a 68030 with
>>4M 32 bit fast ram,

>Yeh, and how much cash did you lay out to get it there? And how long did
>you wait after the A1000 first came out before it was available? Sheesh.

Considering the 68030 wasn't even invented until several years after the A1000
came out, I suspect he did have to wait awhile.

>>So complain to Cinemaware.  If a game crashes an Apple or IBM you don't
>>whine about the platform, it's just lousy software.

>First off, for the record, I think that Apples and IBM are EVIL, dig?
>Second, just because Apple and IBM should jump off a cliff, does that mean
>Commodore should also? That's like saying since Pintos explode on impact,
>that I shouldn't be unhappy when my Cadillac does the same thing.

You're still ranting here, instead of making any sense.  Your car analogy is
all wrong.  The software you're complaining about is something Commodore can't
do anything about.  Period.  You can put that kind of software on an Amiga,
an Apple, or a PC.  You can put water in the gas tank of a Pinto just as easily
as you can put water in a Cadillac, and neither Ford nor GM can prevent that
anymore than Commodore can prevent "take over the machine" software.  It's
simply out of the control of Commodore.  Commodore can just as easily prevent
you from physically tossing your machine out the window.  Is that such an
amazingly difficult concept for you to grasp?

>Third, I should complain to Cinemaware, (Actually, I did) who is at least
>producing some games I like, instead of Commodore, ...

You complain to Cinemaware because IT IS THEIR FAULT.  Plain and simple.  You
don't complain to Commodore because they have nothing to do with it.  Get it?
Same reason you would complain to the Exxon people if they put water in your
Caddy's gas tank, rather than complaining to GM.  Grok?

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (08/17/90)

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) writes:

   In article <STERGIOS.90Aug14172526@sunsweet.Stanford.EDU> stergios@portia.Stanford.EDU (stergios marinopoulos) writes:

      speaking of winers, is this the same mwm that went on and on and on
      and on about the new bus specs, that they were incompatible, and
      finally bryce made a custom jig for?  my, how people change.

   Not it isn't. Bryce never made the custom jig. CBM cost me thousands
   of dollars and months of time by making what amounted to a cosmetic
   change. If you read what I've written here carefully, you'll see that
   I mention that change as a justifiable reason to be pissed, because it
   caused expansion hardware to be delayed and A1000 expansion hardware
   to cost more than it should.

A  number  of the original hardware manufacturers lost a hell of a lot
more money because of changes made. The Pal box from Byte by Byte cost
well into six digits to get out in even limited production, using  the
original Zorro standard. Then CBM decided to drop this for a different
form factor. That's a lot of bucks to piss away just  to  have  things
changed. Of course no one in their right mind would produce cards  for
Zorro, even if there was a limited market for them at the time.

The PalJr that was shipped by Byte by Byte was actually hardware  that
was designed by the Amiga folks to be introduced at the  time  of  the
launch. (Byte by Byte bought rights to  it  from  CBM.)   It  was  all
working and on schedule within Amiga (well, as best  as  the  schedule
was).  However CBM canned it and decided not to come out with harddisk
and expansion memory hardware.  So it took another year and a half  to
get something out, and people developed with 512K and  floppies.  This
is a good example of shooting yourself in the foot early on.  Even  if
they  did a limited production run of this hardware, and charged a lot
of money, they would have created a  developers  platform  that  would
have enhanced software deveoplment enormously.

   I never flamed CBM about what the vendors did - that's not CBM's
   fault. I never flamed CBM for promising one thing and delivering
   another - for the most part, they delivered on their promises.

Live! Genlock, SCSI, Unix? Perhaps CBM is a lot better than Atari, but
these  four  elements were released at least two years after they were
working in the lab. I know that it takes a long  time  to  get  things
into production, but this was not based as much on technical  problems
as political. Although never an employee, from what I could see  going
on this was my impression.

The advancement of my software (Multi-Media) depended on harddisk  and
genlock  to  make  it  snazzy.  I quit waiting for hardware in Fall of
1987,  and  for  the most part nothing came out for over a year in any
kind of reliable volume. Can't live on crackers that long..

I have to admit they did a good job with the A500, but think  if  they
had put SCSI on it, like the  Atari,  there  would  have  been  a  big
difference.

								I never
   flamed the software vendors for providing software that didn't
   multitask - I rarely have problems with that. All I ever did was flame
   CBM for doing everything they could to kill the A1000 expansion
   market. That resulted in expansion hardware being delayed and
   overpriced. If you tried to buy hardware at reasonable prices/times
   (i.e. - what it would have been if CBM hadn't made those changes), it
   was unreliable because it didn't follow spec. That wasn't CBMs fault.

There is a lot of blame that can be placed  on  CBM  not  following  a
straight track. They  have  had  some  pretty  shakey  relations  with
dealers and others in the past. From what I've heard things are better.

   So what's the change?

I haven't been in the Amiga world for a  while,  but  hear  that  it's
gotten better.  The sad thing is that the Amiga attracted some of  the
brightest and most creative people  I've  seen,  who  were  eventually
turned  off in one way or the other by CBM. There were more developers
originally  for the Amiga than any other computer. They seemed to come
in  waves  though, with a high burn-out/turnoff rate. Too bad - it's a
great  machine,  and  could  have  really made a big difference in the
computer world. Five years have gone  by,  and  it's  still  ahead  of
plenty computers, but will never go  bigtime  'cause  of  it's  sorted
history.

Anyone want an A1000 with Zorro backplane?

   	<mike

-Jim Becker
--
	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (08/18/90)

In article <140833@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) writes:
      I never flamed CBM about what the vendors did - that's not CBM's
      fault. I never flamed CBM for promising one thing and delivering
      another - for the most part, they delivered on their promises.

   Live! Genlock, SCSI, Unix? Perhaps CBM is a lot better than Atari, but
   these  four  elements were released at least two years after they were
   working in the lab.

I don't recall CBM promising any of those things for the A1000 except
the genlock. I do believe the A1300 (genlock) was released in '86, and
I bought one of the last produced in '87. Wanna buy it? Of course, you
forgot the Transformer. Then again, I didn't buy an A2000 until last
June - and it's (thankfully) banished from my house to make room for a
A3000.

And "working in the lab" in no way constitutes a "promise". Neither
does a demo - that shows promise, but isn't one. A "promise" is an
announcement that something will be available, but it needs a ship
date to be believable. From what I saw, CBM has been incredibly bad
about missing ship dates, and even worse about demoing things and then
putting off releasing them for long periods of time.

   Anyone want an A1000 with Zorro backplane?

If you've got a complete high-end A1000 system (8Meg ram expansion
board, possibly unpopulated + SCSI adaptor) that works, there's a
market for it. I didn't have a lot of trouble selling mine. Post to
the appropriate for sale group, crossposted to c.s.a (make sure the
distribution is limited by the for sale group).

	<mike
--
It's been a hard day's night,				Mike Meyer
And I been working like a dog.				mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

jms@tardis.UUCP (08/27/90)

In article <1056@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>So I ended up with a GREAT f***ing machine, that wouldn't run any decent
>games, not to mention Business software, because they were not available,

>And before you flame me for more "whining", it was a full year or more
>-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM

This discussion does NOT belong in alt.sources.amiga; move it to
comp.sys.amiga!  This group is for sources.

If memory serves me correctly, we can blame Kevin for starting this line
of discussion in the wrong place.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."