[alt.sources.amiga] EVERYONE-- DOWNLOAD Bootmenu!

kskelm@happy.colorado.edu (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb28.170806.136@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) writes:
> but had no real sucess (guess we'll just have to wait for wb2.0 for on
> the fly ntsc/pal :-) - in the meantime the best you can do is select screen

    In my BETA 2.02 release of Workbench, I can find *NO* switches for
NTSC/PAL.

> modes at boot time - to facilitate this I knocked up a program by the
> name of BootMenu (which you can find in /incoming/amiga on
> abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov) which allows _user_selectable (via a menu) choice
> of screen modes at every reboot (it wedges itself into the system). That
> means that once you've loaded it, you can reboot at any time and re-choose
> NTSC/PAL (unlike PalBoot where you've got to run it each time you want to go
> PAL - a real pain).

    FOLKS-- I Downloaded this program last night-- It is EXCELLENT!!!!!!
I especially like the part where it can disable all expansion cards, including
the harddrive at boot time, making it impossible (less likely?) that a virus in
the demo can screw you up.

   John-- If you would consider doing ONE SMALL modification?????
.........Make it possible to specify +(P|N) for PAL/NTSC and +/-E (en/disable
expansion devices) on the BootMenu command line!  See, I would like to be able
to say...

    BootMenu +P +E

  ... In my startup sequence so that it will ALWAYS set PAL mode and enable
expansion devices w/o being asked or pausing. (I'm a developer = I crash and
reboot a LOT :-).  Whichever item NOT provided on the command line would still
ask.

     ...And maybe a BootMenu kill???

     Super.

     Thanks for a truly useful program,

      Kevin Kelm

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (03/06/91)

In article <MT87692.91Mar3025515@lehtori.tut.fi>, mt87692@lehtori.tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:

>  I also like this program. However as there were no cli switches I installed
> them, I also added ability to kill only those autoconfig boards you want (this
> is bit kludge since it allows you to kill boards from 1st slot to wanted slot
> but cannot jump one slot). This skipping is usefull if you want just kill the
> HD but leave the memory (for playing Lemmings which does not use the HD).

Good to see people making use of the source code! The reason I didn't
initially put cl switches in was
  a) I never though of it :-)
  b) I'd assembled it for my preferences anyway
Since it seems a useful idea for other people I'll put it in.

As for killing _only_ certain boards - I looked at it, but as you can only
kill the first x boards it's of limited use. For instance, both on my 2630,
and on the A590 the memory comes _before_ the hd, so if you want to nuke
the ram, you need to kill the hd too. Short of rewriting expansion.library
there's not much you can do...

> Also there is some programming in it I did not like: It just kills 7 boards
> but does not take in account that there can be more than one autoconfig
> node in one board and it does not work with MoveSSP (like author suspects in
> the docs). Also the basic idea of using system stack as it is allways reserved
> is bit kludge. I also optimized it bit (dbra...). Otherwise however it is GOOD
> program.

I initially played around with logic that detected when the last a/c board
had been found, but kept on finding machines where it just failed to work
(and you ended up killing an infinite number of boards - this can take
a while:-). In the end I settled on the 7 board brute force approach, on
the basis that few machines would have that many device in it (I knew about
multi device boards - but 7 is _Still_ a lot of a/c devices). I could make
it bigger - I'd prefer some board detect logic that works (expansion device
does it - anyone got a dissasembly?).

As for the memory allocation system - I'm the first to admit sitting on the
ssp is a BIG kludge - I only used it because it was easy (and if it's good
enough for half the virii out there, it's good enough for me:-). As the program
grows bigger it'll _have_ to go to a legal mem alloc method anyway (that's
very high on my priorities) - in the interim all you can do if you've got
an 030 is make sure you run BootMenu with ssp relocation off (I don't know
about MoveSSP - I use SetCPU, and you can turn it off easily by issuing
'setcpu nofastrom')

thanks for the words of encouragement - now to get BootMenu2 finished (if
anyone's got suggestions for things they'd like in it, mail me!)

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |
| o                                                      o |
| o  co-sysop AmigaINFO BBS,1200/2400 baud CCITT,        o |
| o           24 hours a day, ph NZ +3-3371-531          o |