[can.sun-stroke] Sun 3/60 boot prom problems

hugh@redvax.uucp (D. Hugh Redelmeier) (07/15/88)

SunOS 4.0 comes on QIC-24 tapes, so we were notified that most Sun
3s would need PROM upgrades to boot them.  The notice sent to
Canadians did not mention that 3/60s have a different series of
PROMs, so the revision numbers mentioned did not apply.

Anyway, I ordered a new PROM for my 3/60, but it did not work.  It
got a checksum error: within a couple of seconds of booting, the
LEDs froze, with only the high and low ones on.  This happened with
the next PROM I ordered too.  After this, Sun Canada checked their
3/60 PROM supply, and found that many were bad (perhaps all but the
master, which was OK).  They will dup it and send me another PROM
early next week.

So: if you ordered a 3/60 PROM from Sun Canada recently, and it
fails the checksum test, ask for a new one.  The part number of
these PROMs is 520-1665-05

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (07/16/88)

In article <8807141923.AA00211@redvax.uucp> hugh@redvax.uucp (D. Hugh Redelmeier) writes:
>SunOS 4.0 comes on QIC-24 tapes, so we were notified that most Sun
>3s would need PROM upgrades to boot them.  The notice sent to
>Canadians did not mention that 3/60s have a different series of
>PROMs, so the revision numbers mentioned did not apply.
>
>Anyway, I ordered a new PROM for my 3/60, but it did not work.  It
>got a checksum error: within a couple of seconds of booting, the
>LEDs froze, with only the high and low ones on.  This happened with
>the next PROM I ordered too.  After this, Sun Canada checked their
>3/60 PROM supply, and found that many were bad (perhaps all but the
>master, which was OK).  They will dup it and send me another PROM
>early next week.
>
>So: if you ordered a 3/60 PROM from Sun Canada recently, and it
>fails the checksum test, ask for a new one.  The part number of
>these PROMs is 520-1665-05

For those who want a complete discussion of the QIC-11/QIC-24
prom set, there was an article discussing this in sunspots
digest (Volume 6 Number 78 I think).

I'll check when I'm in the office again if this is not the
correct issue.

Basically, the point Hugh is making is that there are two types
of controllers for the streaming tape drives and you have to
determine which type you have and then whether you need the
prom upgrade by checking the revision numbers.
This prom upgrade should be a freebie to Sun customers.
It's free in the States.

-david-