[can.sun-stroke] Third-party suppliers of products for Suns

andrew@dgbt.uucp (Andrew Patrick DGBT/DBR) (11/11/89)

In article <1273@dgbt.uucp> I wrote:

>I would like to compile a list of Canadian third-party suppliers that sell
>products for Sun computers.  I have Sun's "Catalyst" but it lists few
>Canadian suppliers (if any) and lacks basic information (e.g., who
>supplies RAM SIMMs and "talks Sun").
>
>I would like you to send me information about who supplies Sun-type
>hardware (e.g., RAM, drives, peripherals, etc.), software, or service.
>The service category is particularly important since Sun is now selling
>relatively inexpensive workstations (i.e., the Sparcstation 1), but
>only offering service via relatively expensive service contracts.
>
>Please mail me information about the suppliers you know, providing as
>much detail about what they carry as possible.  Also, don't forget to
>include the addresses and phone numbers of your suppliers.  I will
>compile and maintain a list, and post it to this group.  I am sure
>that such a list will be extremely useful the next time you are
>looking for something for your Sun.

Here are the responses I have received so far.  If you have
information to add, please mail it to me and I will include it in the
list.

From andrew@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca (Andrew Patrick)

NAME:  Tracan Electronics Corporation

LOCATION:

Toronto:   1200 Aerowood Dr., Units 3 & 4
			  Mississauga, ON  L4W 2S7
			  (416) 625-7752
Montreal:  9520 Boul. de l'Acadie, Ste 470
			  Montreal, Quebec  H4N 1L8
			  (514) 385-0523
Ottawa:    301 Moodie Dr., Suite 201
			  Nepean, ON  K2H 9C4
			  (613) 596-9760
			  Mike Ilnitsky

PRODUCTS:  RAM from Clearpoint and Dataram, VME Bus boards from
           various manufactures, Disk and tape drives from various
			  manufacturers, monitors and terminals.

From: Dave Sword <dave@sce.carleton.ca>

We have used a company called Meta4 to repair Sun cpu boards on a 22+ day
turn around. At the time they were in the process of being taken over by
Bell Technical Services who have since contacted me about other service
and contract opportunities. The Ottawa phone number I have is 829-0646.
The price on the repair was less than the Sun price for longer turn around.

From: geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

We buy our memory from Clearpoint via Dilog and buy Fujitsu SMD disks
via Intertechnology, both of them have Toronto offices.  Our phone
numbers are for University salesmen; you're better off to just call
directory assistance.

From: c-art!jae@uunet.UU.NET (John Eadie)

I hope we `talk Sun', we certainly supply SIMM's.

Service on our products is available as a matter of course.  Service
outside of our products is also available, but might be farmed out,
depending on the demand such service represents.

Meantime, a snapshot of products is

   o NCD X Terminals
   o GraphOn X Terminals
   o Telebit modems
   o Clearpoint
   o Micropolis
   o CDC
   o 20/20
   o Leonardo
   o Bristol IsoFax
   o FrameMaker

John Eadie  Computing Art Inc
 Studio #303, 25 Liberty St W, Toronto, Ontario M6K 1A6
(416) 536-9951  e-mail: jeadie@sun.COM | {uunet,suncan}!c-art!jae

From: zaphod!bobh (Bob Harvey)

We have a small network of Suns (two 3/50's served by a 3/280) to which I
have added a few third-party peripherals.  The company I deal with is

	Enhance Systems
	#301, 1300 8th Street S.W.
	Calgary, Alberta
	T2R 1B2
	(403) 245-4449

Our Sales Representative is Susen Oulton.  I have purchased the following
items from Enhance:

	1 - Xylogics 451 SMD Disk Controller
	2 - Fujitsu 2372K 8-inch SMD Disk Drives
	1 - Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm Tape Subsystem, including:
	    - Ciprico 3510 SCSI Controller
	    - Trimm rackmount cabinet
	    - Apunix software and drivers for SunOS 3.X

Enhance provides service on all of the above equipment at reasonable rates.
I have been very satisfied in my dealings with them.  I understand that they
also handle Maxtor disk drives, C. Itoh and Mannnesmann Tally printers,
Cipher tape drives and memory products for Suns.

I have also talked to another company that provides Sun add-ons:

	Cycom
	3500 Pharmacy Ave., Unit 1A
	Scarborough, Ontario
	M1W 2T6
	1-800-268-3171
	(416) 494-5040
	Sales Rep.: Jim Dhaliwal

I have received quotes on Xylogics and Ciprico controllers, Exabyte tape
drives and CDC disk drives from Cycom.  I have not purhchased anything
from them, however.

From: dmntor!sturgess (Chris Sturgess)

Here are the people we are dealing with:

The Braegen Group
67 Yonge St., Toronto, Ont. M5E 1J8 (416) 366-6363
	- Suns, installation, 3rd party disks

DigiDyne Inc.
4 Galaxy Blvd., Toronto, Ont. M9W 5R8 (416) 674-0444
also: Ottawa, Lachine, Vancouver, Edmonton
	- CDC disks, Exabyte tape drives

Computerland has also just signed up with Sun.

Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.         |  andrew@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca
  (613) 990-4675              |  ...utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!dgbt!andrew
Communications Canada, Ottawa |  andrew@doccrc.BITNET
           "A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh..."