[aus.computers] Need advice on scientific word processing software package

PHYS169@canterbury.ac.nz (Mark Aitchison, U of Canty; Physics) (05/31/90)

In article <90148.220707GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET>, GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:
> In article <1990May28.174638.1464@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) says:
>>
>>Excuse me, but what's wrong with our friends, troff, eqn and tbl?
>      It would be much shorter to ask what is right with them.  That you could
> condense to one word - *NOTHING*.
>      After using ChiWriter and TeX, nothing is easier than ChiWriter or looks
> better than TeX.  When the promised ChiWriter -> TeX finally appears, all
> your scientific word processing questions will be answered.

Does anyone consider Macintosh word-processing packages (other than Mac
versions of TeX, etc) suitable for such documents? I get the impression the
mathematical formulae are not terribly well taken care of, but included
diagrams are much easier than with TeX, T3 (anyone using that??) and ChiWriter
or Xact.  I'm interested in something where you can see the page *with* the
graphics in place in the previewer (including Postscript into TeX doesn't seem
to do that well enough).

Mark Aitchison.

daffy@physics.monash.edu.au (Davyd Norris) (06/06/90)

In article <7789@canterbury.ac.nz>, PHYS169@canterbury.ac.nz (Mark Aitchison, U of Canty; Physics) writes:
> In article <90148.220707GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET>, GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:
>> In article <1990May28.174638.1464@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
>> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) says:
[...]
> mathematical formulae are not terribly well taken care of, but included
> diagrams are much easier than with TeX, T3 (anyone using that??) and ChiWriter
					  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Contrary to a lot of opinions at Monash, I find T3 to be one of the best
packages I have used, and would recommend it to anyone.  The big catch with T3
is that it is completely indecipherable if you don't sit down and do the tutes
first.

I used said editor to produce my honours report and will use it to write up my
thesis.  I also used it to write many job applications, which were printed on a
very humble printer, and got lots of positive feedback from potential employers
who looked at my resume.

Daffy.
Davyd Norris		:	"Strange people physicists... In my opinion
Physics Dept.		:	 those that aren't already dead are in some
Monash University,	:        way very, very sick." - Douglas Adams,
Vic, Australia.		:	 "The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul"