[net.games.rogue] So many questions!

ab3@pucc-h (Rsk the Wombat) (07/02/84)

	Well, tims@mako, here we go:

> Is there anything in particular one needs to know to beat a medusa or
> jabberwocky?

	Beat the hell out of them.

	But seriously, folks, a medusa has a finite chance of "confusing"
you on first contact and then proceeding to whomp on you...I recommend
the Staff/Wand of Cancellation -- or some other magic (scroll of confuse
monster, staff/wand of fire/cold/lightning) to kill them Asap.  Jabberwocks
are just plain nasty.

> Are Gnomes special in any way?

	Our version of 5.3 has griffins. Dunno 'bout gnomes.

> How long does a potion of see invisible last?

	Can't remember offhand...seems to me that it was > potion of
haste self, but < potion of blindness.  Anybody else?

> Do all rings cause fast digestion? (Besides the ring of slow digestion)

	Think so...

> Does ring of slow digestion cancel the fast digestion caused by another ring?

	Partially.

> Does a ring of slow digestion cause slower than normal digestion when no
> other ring is worn?

	Yes, that's why it's a ring of slow digestion.  (Sorry...:-))

	I think the ring of slow digestion gives you a 1dX chance of regen'ing
a snippet of food on each turn; I seem to recall X was about 3 or 4.  Experts?

> Do any rings wear out and lose their effect?

	No.

> What is the effect of the wand of drain life?

	It removes X hp from every creature in the room.  Including you.
X is a random number.

> What does the wand of 'teleport to' do? (This is not the 'teleport away' used
> for relocating monsters, unless it's called 'teleport to' when terse output
> is on)

	These are two different wands; teleport to drags you over to whatever
monster you pointed it at....Y'know it's just occurred to me, that I
oughta try "teleport to" to zip over to the stairs to avoid being clobbered...
hmm...
--
Rsk the Wombat
UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk

"Now wher're you boys goin' with all that beer?"

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (07/03/84)

In article <814@pucc-h> ab3@pucc-h (Rsk the Wombat) writes:
~|  > What is the effect of the wand of drain life?
~|
~|  	It removes X hp from every creature in the room.  Including you.
~|  X is a random number.
~|

Shame on you, Rsk. You've been reading netnews long enough to know
better. X is not a random number.

The number of Hp you currently have is divided in two. You keep half,
and the other half is distributed equally among all monsters in the
room. So, if you were 76(90), you will go to 38(90). If there is only
one monster in the room, you will have just whacked it with 38 hit
points, and quite possibly killed it.

~|  				 teleport to drags you over to whatever
~|  monster you pointed it at....Y'know it's just occurred to me, that I
~|  oughta try "teleport to" to zip over to the stairs to avoid being clobbered...
~|  hmm...

Only if there happens to be a sleeping monster just the other side of
the stairs. I have yet to run into a situation where teleport to was
useful, but it's theoretically possible.

Dave Sherman
Magnifibeast
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave
or

yba@mit-athena.ARPA (Mark H Levine) (07/04/84)

I have found the wand/staff of drain life removes all hits from
all monsters in the room and removes exactly half of your hits.
This may of course have changed.

I think that the slow digestion ring just plain extends the
food counter for you (more turns of in the belly).  It did not seem
that either of them had a random element, but of course the last
time I read the sources was around version 3.5, not 5.3.

--
yba%mit-heracles@mit-mc.ARPA		UUCP:	decvax!mit-athena!yba

wmr@eneevax.UUCP (07/05/84)

   A wand/staff of `teleport to' brings the monster to you.
It does not move you.

					Wayne Roberts

ab3@pucc-h (Rsk the Wombat) (07/09/84)

	I stand corrected, Dave.

	It was a bad day.

	BTW, I've also been reminded that if you have 1 HP left, using the staff
of drain life will give you "You are too weak to use it."