[net.games.rogue] Handy Rust Monsters

jon@qusavx.UUCP (Jon Lewis) (07/17/84)

If you should locate a ring of armor protection, rust monsters can
prove to be extremely useful pets.  Don't bash them.  Instead take
them along with you while you explore levels.  If you should
encounter a Troll or a Quasit or what have you, they swap hits on
you with the Rust Monster, and since the Rust Monster can't hurt
you, you get a free shot at the real nasty. Then, when you're about
to change levels, do them in.

jon@qusavx.UUCP (Jon Lewis) (07/17/84)

If you should have a ring of maintain armor, Rust Monsters can
prove to be extremely valuable pets.  Don't bash them.  Instead,
take them along with you as you explore the various rooms.  If you
should run into a Troll or a Quasit or what have you, they swap hits
on you with the Rust Monster and since the Rust Monster can't hurt
you, you get a free swipe at the real nasty.  Then when you
are about to change levels, dispatch them appropriately.

bcase@uiucdcs.UUCP (07/18/84)

#R:qusavx:-19800:uiucdcs:34500022:000:172
uiucdcs!bcase    Jul 18 12:04:00 1984

Is this really true???  I mean, whenever I am cornered by more than one
monster, they all seem to get one hit per one of mine.  Am I just missing
something?????

    bcase

mac@tesla.UUCP (Michael Mc Namara) (07/18/84)

    EACH monster gathered around in your current fan club gets a poke
at you.  The only advantage trailing along a group of faithful Rust
Monsters while wearing simonized armor is that they just might get in
the way of that Troll...

######################################      -----
                    #                #      |..,|
                    #                ######@+MAC|
           #########%                       |...|
                                            -----

Level: 26  Gold: 7578          Hp: 76(80)  Str: 20(20)  Arm: 10  Exp:12/15640

jim@randvax.UUCP (07/19/84)

----
Dancing around a pet rust monster (aquator) is fine in many circumstances,
but you can run into fat trouble if you're trotting blithely down a hall,
run into a troll, and can't retreat!

alex@utcsrgv.UUCP (Alexander Stoyenko) (07/19/84)

> From utzoo!watmath!clyde!burl!mgnetp!ihnp4!cbosgd!qusavx!jon Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
> From: jon@qusavx.UUCP (Jon Lewis)
> Newsgroups: net.games.rogue
> Subject: Handy Rust Monsters
> Date: Tue, 17-Jul-84 14:17:35 EDT
>
> If you should locate a ring of armor protection, rust monsters can
> prove to be extremely useful pets.  Don't bash them.  Instead take
> them along with you while you explore levels.  If you should
> encounter a Troll or a Quasit or what have you, they swap hits on
> you with the Rust Monster, and since the Rust Monster can't hurt
> you, you get a free shot at the real nasty. Then, when you're about
> to change levels, do them in.

Sorry Jon, but if you are surrounded by N monsters, EACH of them
will try to hit you on EVERY turn, while you will get just ONE
hit attempt(and will have to choose which monster to hit, of course).
Thus, 'dragging' an R with you can only decrease your chances of
survival, for you may end up sandwiched between the R and another
monster(which makes it hard if not impossible to retreat).

					Alex Stoyenko
					Caesar

tims@mako.UUCP (Tim Stoehr) (07/20/84)

s from surrounding you.

Also, if you are immune to a monster (such as Rattlesnake or Aquator
in version 5.3), they can make great roadblocks at doorways.  Consider

		#
	--------@--------
	       GAJ

You can shoot arrows and throw things diagonally and hit the monsters
who cannot hit back, since the one in front of the doorway is too
stupid to back off and let the others at you.

brahms@trwspp.UUCP (07/20/84)

[}{]

Be careful keeping rust monsters around.  If you meet up with a tough
best, they can block your escape route.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@USC-ECLC