[net.games.rogue] A couple of rogue questions.

billd@bolton.UUCP (Bill Duffy) (08/08/84)

Subject: A couple of questions??? (looking for spoilers)
Newsgroups: net.games.rogue

	A couple of questions about the game.

	1) The scroll that "Makes your nose tingle". What is it, and
what does it do?

	2) The same questions on the "Feel like your being watched over" scroll

	3) How can I tell which version of rogue I have. (I'm running on
a VAX w/ rev. 4.1??)

	4) The rogue manual that we have says that the lower your armor class,
the better it is. Then why when I read an enchant armor, my class goes up and
when I read a curse armor, it goes down. (Does this also imply that cursed (-2
or below) armor is better???)

	5) Is there any way to get the wizards password without having read
access on the rogue binary.

		Bill Duffy
		genrad!bolton!billd

ab3@pucc-h (Rich Kulawiec) (08/12/84)

	1) The scroll that "Makes your nose tingle". What is it, and
what does it do?

	It's scroll of food detection; if there is no food left on the
current level, your nose just tingles; if there is food, you will be shown
its location and the comment displayed at the top of the screen will include
"Food!"

	2) The same questions on the "Feel like your being watched over" scroll

	This is the scroll of remove curse; if you are wearing/wielding cursed
armor/weapon, you can un-wear/un-wield it; you can remove cursed rings, and so
on.

	3) How can I tell which version of rogue I have. (I'm running on
a VAX w/ rev. 4.1??)

	Type 'v'.

	4) The rogue manual that we have says that the lower your armor class,
the better it is. Then why when I read an enchant armor, my class goes up and
when I read a curse armor, it goes down. (Does this also imply that cursed (-2
or below) armor is better???)

	Depends on what version of Rogue you're running; in the standard
rogue lineage (3.6->5.2->5.3), better armor meant lower numbers until
5.3 came along; in 5.3 the higher the armor class, the better.  However,
since your game apparently has a scroll of "curse armor", I don't think it's
5.3.  You should be able to deduce how armor classes work in your version
by judicious experimentation.

	5) Is there any way to get the wizards password without having read
access on the rogue binary.

	Nope.  And even if you read it, it may not be compiled in.  And even
if it's compiled in, it's encrypted.

Warrior Wombat (I finally beat 5.3! [twice])
--
---Rsk

UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

I like to drink and dance all night,
Comes to a fix, not afraid to fight,
You got that, right?