[comp.os.rsts] SIL

hillm@pawl8.pawl.rpi.edu (Mark Hill) (09/20/88)

Could someone please resolve a question that's been plaguing us here?
What exactly does the abbreviation SIL stand for?

***
mark hill (hillm) 	hillm%pawl@itsgw.rpi.edu    usere3h7@rpitsmts.bitnet

rcl@jolt.columbia.edu (Robert C. Lehman) (09/20/88)

In article <1218@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> hillm () writes:
>Could someone please resolve a question that's been plaguing us here?
>What exactly does the abbreviation SIL stand for?

I'm pretty sure it stands for "System Image Library".  Once upon a
time (up through V5C?) the monitor had an extension of ".CIL", which
stood for "Core Image Library".  As an aside, which was the last
version fo RSTS that required DOS/BATCH-11 to build a "CIL"?  Was it
5C also?

-Rob

ray@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Ray Gebbie) (09/21/88)

In article <1218@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, hillm@pawl8.pawl.rpi.edu (Mark Hill) writes:
> Could someone please resolve a question that's been plaguing us here?
> What exactly does the abbreviation SIL stand for?
>
> ***
> mark hill (hillm) 	hillm%pawl@itsgw.rpi.edu    usere3h7@rpitsmts.bitnet

As a 10 year user of RSTS, I always understood SIL to stand for "Saved Image
Library".

ray@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Ray Gebbie) (09/21/88)

>                                                        Once upon a
> time (up through V5C?) the monitor had an extension of ".CIL", which
> stood for "Core Image Library".  As an aside, which was the last
> version fo RSTS that required DOS/BATCH-11 to build a "CIL"?  Was it
> 5C also?

The last DOS/BATCH-11 Sysgen was under 6A.  6B came out in early 1977.

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (09/23/88)

In article <5897@columbia.edu> rcl@jolt.cc.columbia.edu (Robert C. Lehman) writes:
>In article <1218@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> hillm () writes:
>>What exactly does the abbreviation SIL stand for?
>
>I'm pretty sure it stands for "System Image Library".  Once upon a
>time (up through V5C?) the monitor had an extension of ".CIL", which
>stood for "Core Image Library".

SIL stands for SAV Image Library.

CIL comes from the system builds under DOS. Several "Core Image" files would
be created and then collected together under in a CIL "Core Image Library".
With 6B and later, system builds were done under the RT11 emulator. Since
the files created by the RT11 linker are ".SAV" or "save" files the new
collection of files was called a SIL or "Save Image Library".

I know it all seems SILUS, but someone asked the question.