[comp.os.rsts] TK-70 & RSTS

earl@riverside.columbia.edu (Earl Smith) (08/12/89)

I have a micro-PDP-11/73 running RSTS v9.6.  I am looking for a cartridge tape
backup device.  The TK-50 doesn't hold enough.  I would like to go with a TK-70
but that is not supported by DEC.  I have recently heard that there are people
out there who are using TK-70s under RSTS.  If you are one, could you please
send me more info; like, does it work okay, are there any tricks?  Thanks.

Earl Smith
earl@cs.columbia.edu
(212)854-8884

alderaan@tubopal.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) (08/15/89)

In article <6448@columbia.edu> earl@riverside.columbia.edu (Earl Smith) writes:
>I have a micro-PDP-11/73 running RSTS v9.6.  I am looking for a cartridge tape
>backup device.  The TK-50 doesn't hold enough.  I would like to go with a TK-70
>but that is not supported by DEC.  I have recently heard that there are people
>out there who are using TK-70s under RSTS.  If you are one, could you please
>send me more info; like, does it work okay, are there any tricks?  Thanks.

  We are using a TK70 under RSTS without any software problems (conf: J11 CPU,
2xRA80, 4xRK07, TK70, RX33, 2M, RSTS V9.4). No tricks, just mount it as MU?:.
(You first have to specify its controller while monitor generation, of course)
  The only problems which may occur are about reliability. I've tested 3 drives
and it seems to be a feature that TK70's often kick the bucket if they are
close to the upper temperature limit (happens during system installation/update
because FIP is winding the tape almost the whole time).
  For cassette streamers, they are VERY slow (up to 30 min for file lookup).

I hope this helps

--
Thomas Cervera         | UUCP:   alderaan@tubopal.UUCP
SysMan RKOpdp (RSTS/E) |         ...!unido!tub!opal!alderaan (Europe)