[comp.os.rsts] Backup systems for a PDP-11/84

sclubley@compulink.co.uk (Simon Clubley) (06/30/90)

I am currently looking at replacing the backup system on my PDP-11/84
with a new one. I am looking at the possibility of using DAT or
re-writable optical disks. Has anyone had any experience of using
these backup devices under RSTS (will they even run under RSTS ?)
and what kind of backup performance/reliability problems have you
found ?

Simon Clubley
sclubley@cix.compulink.co.uk

kph@dustbin.cisco.com (Kevin Paul Herbert) (07/01/90)

What DEC devices do the optical disk and DAT emulate? Is the optical
disk write once, or write many?

Kevin

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) (07/03/90)

From article <memo.59492@cix.uucp>, by sclubley@compulink.co.uk (Simon Clubley):

> I am currently looking at replacing the backup system on my PDP-11/84
> with a new one. I am looking at the possibility of using DAT or
> re-writable optical disks. Has anyone had any experience of using
> these backup devices under RSTS (will they even run under RSTS ?)
> and what kind of backup performance/reliability problems have you
> found ?
>
> Simon Clubley
> sclubley@cix.compulink.co.uk

You are in the UK, so you probably can hear me shouting

GO FOR IT SIMON, GET AN EXABYTE!!!

They work very well indeed, solve problems you did not know you had, and
are very very reliable.

I can give it my unhesitating endorsement.

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203  Fax: +44 273 678335     JANET: stevedc@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET  : stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk      UUCP: stevedc@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

(Ring for details?)