[comp.os.rsts] MODEM on RSTS V 9.6

earl@cs.columbia.edu (Earl Smith) (11/14/90)

I recently upgraded from RSTS V 8 to RSTS V 9.6.  I have a modem
on my system (a PDP 11/73) so I can dial up from home.  I set the
KB properly, I believe.  But, the modem does not work the way it did
before, and its current behavior is unacceptable.  I cannot get on my
system from home, unless I am willing to try about twenty times.

I was told by someone that I needed to have more wires in the cable between
the modem and the computer at work.  I therefore switched to a completely
connected cable, but with no better results.

I believe I set everything up okay, because I can always connect, but I can
login successfully only one in about forty tries, and this is starting to
cause me some grief.  What I see is that on my PC from home, when I dial
in to work, I get
	login:  R
	login:  I
	login:  N
	login:  G

or something to this effect (sometimes I also get CONNECT 1200 in the same
one letter to the line patters, with each letter apparently being seen
as a login attempt).  Always, when this happens, the cursor ends up at
the left end of the screen, with no login possible.  When things go right,
I get this stuff anyway, but the cursor ends up just to the right of the
word login on one of the lines, and I am able to login.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the slowness of the computer
at work, because several programs at work that run on a PC and automatically
login to the RSTS system to download files, had to have waits inserted into
them, so that the password was not sent until after the PDP-11 asked for it.

If anyone has any help on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
If anyone knows of a RSTS consultant in the New York area who might be able
to help me with this, I would also appreciate hearing about them.  As you
might have guessed, I am so desperate now that I am willing to actually
pay for a solution to this problem.

Please feel free to call me at (212)854-8884 if you have any help on this
problem, or else respond via the net or email to earl@cs.columbia.edu.

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.165638.4481@cs.columbia.edu>, earl@cs.columbia.edu (Earl Smith) writes:
> I was told by someone that I needed to have more wires in the cable between
> the modem and the computer at work.  I therefore switched to a completely
> connected cable, but with no better results.

  Possibly, but as one of your networking folks says, it's "connecting the
_right_ colored wires together".

> cause me some grief.  What I see is that on my PC from home, when I dial
> in to work, I get
> 	login:  R
> 	login:  I
> 	login:  N
> 	login:  G

  Sounds like you're using a "smart" modem without disabling responses.

> If anyone knows of a RSTS consultant in the New York area who might be able
> to help me with this, I would also appreciate hearing about them.  As you
> might have guessed, I am so desperate now that I am willing to actually
> pay for a solution to this problem.

  I could come over (I'm in Jersey City) and look at it for you. If you're
interested, send me mail (terry@spcvxa.spc.edu, or if you prefer a local
address, kennedy@watsun).

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) (11/15/90)

From article <1990Nov13.191823.761@spcvxb.spc.edu>, by terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr):
> In article <1990Nov13.165638.4481@cs.columbia.edu>, earl@cs.columbia.edu (Earl Smith) writes:
>
>> If anyone knows of a RSTS consultant in the New York area who might be able
>> to help me with this, I would also appreciate hearing about them.  As you
>> might have guessed, I am so desperate now that I am willing to actually
>> pay for a solution to this problem.
>
>   I could come over (I'm in Jersey City) and look at it for you. If you're
> interested, send me mail (terry@spcvxa.spc.edu, or if you prefer a local
> address, kennedy@watsun).

Well,  I could come over (I'm in Brighton) and look at it for you - but
I doubt that you'd pay the fares  (lots of :-)

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203  Fax: +44 273 678335     JANET: stevedc@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET  : stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk      UUCP: stevedc@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk