[comp.os.rsts] RSTS Discontinued?

havemann_l@spcvxb.spc.edu (06/25/91)

What's all this I hear about RSTS/E being discontinued in '92??

I heard from a couple of sources that DEC has decided (in their infinite
wisdom) to no longer support this venerable, outstanding example of Digital's
finest achievement since the PDP.

How about it, all you guys in .dec.com land? - True or False?

 / Lee Havemann, Sys_op   HSH Associates  (201) 838-3330 \
/                Havemann_l@spcvxa.spc.edu                \
\  "Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of   /
 \  anyone else, including myself."                      /

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.145657.1522@spcvxb.spc.edu>, havemann_l@spcvxb.spc.edu writes:
> What's all this I hear about RSTS/E being discontinued in '92??

  Where'd you hear that? Digital <misquote>Review?

> I heard from a couple of sources that DEC has decided (in their infinite
> wisdom) to no longer support this venerable, outstanding example of Digital's
> finest achievement since the PDP.

  DEC has a number of customers who each have hundreds of RSTS systems, and
who expect (and pay for) support on every one of them. I can't see DEC simply
saying "sorry, we don't want your money" to those folks. I think it may final-
ly be sinking in that when DEC tries to force a customer to a newer solution,
the customer often moves to a non-DEC platform.

  RSTS is relatively bug-free (outstandingly so when compared to VMS), and
wouldn't need a big product group to support it for the forseeable future.
Most of that support would seem to be adding support for new devices, any
bug fixes that are needed, and a few enhancements. I don't think it's reas-
onable to expect another change the magnitude of the V8 to V9 upgrade, or
even the V9 to V10, but I'd expect to see continuing releases as needed.

  Look at it this way - I'm not cancelling my support agreement because I
still expect to get support for the forseeable future.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) (06/28/91)

From article <1991Jun25.154350.1523@spcvxb.spc.edu>, by terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.):

>   Look at it this way - I'm not cancelling my support agreement because I
> still expect to get support for the forseeable future.
>
> 	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
> 	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
> 	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

Ah, I've just done that very thing.

In the UK we have three complementary (not complImentary!) services on
offer.  SATS, SSS and MDDS.

In reverse order,

MDDS is Media and Distribution.  This is Software Dispatch and new
versions.  SInce I can't recall the last time I saw a SD, and we have NO
intention of going to V10, why pay the approx 1000 UK pounds for this!

SSS is a licence  to run (so DEC told me yesterday) the software
distributed with the MDDS.  Cancel one, cancel the other!

SATS we are keeping.  It is the DSIN and DECTEL  and telphone support
for problems.  We get EXCELLENT help when we need it (admittedly rarely)
and DEC has an all round good guy called Andy Rymer in UK Leeds office
who helps us.

When I discussed this with DEC the sales lady siad that 'we cease
support on software 6 months after the next version is released'
Strictly true.  I know that DEC would not be too happy in (eg) helping
out with a V7.2 problem, but I forsee no problems with V9.7 for the next
year or so.

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203  Fax: +44 273 678335     JANET: stevedc@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET  : stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk      UUCP: stevedc@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/28/91)

In article <5420@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) writes:
> MDDS is Media and Distribution.  This is Software Dispatch and new
> versions.  SInce I can't recall the last time I saw a SD, and we have NO
> intention of going to V10, why pay the approx 1000 UK pounds for this!

  I've heard of similar problems with the UK Software Dispatch. It seems
like DEC UK figures that customers will call DECTEL for support when they
have a problem, forgetting that customers would rather have the Dispatch
so they can apply the patches _before_ they have a problem.

  Here in the US, the Dispatch comes out monthly and has had V9.7 patches
in it about 50% of the time (this is since V10 has been released).

  Just out of curiosity, why are you not going to V10?