[comp.lang.lisp.franz] X windows for Franz Lisp

S.Clayman@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Stuart Clayman) (06/14/91)

Does anyone know of/have an X-windows interface for Franz Lisp.
I know there was a Suntools interface.

I have a Sun 3/50, and CL + CLX is just toooooo big, (discspace wise
and binary-size wise).

Stuart

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (06/17/91)

S.Clayman@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Stuart Clayman) writes:

> Date: 13 Jun 91 17:11:14 GMT
>
> Does anyone know of/have an X-windows interface for Franz Lisp.
> I know there was a Suntools interface.
>
> I have a Sun 3/50, and CL + CLX is just toooooo big, (discspace wise
> and binary-size wise).
>
> Stuart

Have you tried Poplog Lisp? It has been used on Sun3/50s at Sussex
and elsewhere.

The Poplog Common Lisp image starts at considerably less than 2MB,
and you can run CLX with it, or use the Poplog X interface. I am not
sure which will take up more space - the latter allows you to link
in widget sets (e.g. Athena, or the Poplog widget set). Externally
loaded widget class definitions can also eat up space.

From version 14 a tailored CLX is included in the Poplog "contrib"
directory.

The Poplog system including Pop-11, Common Lisp, Prolog, and ML,
plus online documentation, help files, demonstration libraries etc
takes 25 to 35 Mbytes of disk space (depending which version you
have). But you can delete what you don't need and run with far less.

The lisp uses an incremental compiler and there's an integrated
editor. It compiles very fast, but doesn't run as fast as some other
lisps, though being very compact it can win on paging and swapping
time.

You may find there is already a Poplog you can try out at UCL,
though you will need Version 14 or later for the Poplog X interface.

If you want to know more ask Alison Mudd for information (email
alim@cogs.sussex.ac.uk or phone 0273-678116). I'll post you some
more details direct by email. You could ask for an evaluation
licence if you want to check whether it will fit on your machine.

Poplog is available direct from Sussex University for UK academics.
Others can obtain it from

    Integral Solutions Ltd  (ISL)
    Unit 3, Campbell Court
    Bramley,
    Basingstoke,
    Hampshire,
    RG26 5EG, England
    Phone   0256 882028     Fax 0256 882182

Email isl@integ.uucp

or their overseas distributors.

CLX was "ported" to Poplog by Julian Clinton at ISL.

If you want opinions from users, try emailing the user-group

    popforum@uk.co.hp.hpl

Aaron Sloman,
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences,
Univ of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QH, England
    EMAIL   aarons@cogs.sussex.ac.uk
[Birmingham University from August 1991]