[comp.society.women] Home work vs unions

andy@polya.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) (06/21/88)

Unions almost always oppose home work; some businesses do as well
because home workers may have fewer expenses.  (A biz that contracts
with home workers doesn't have to buy factory space.)

I suspect that union opposition to home work isn't disguised sexism as
much as a power struggle.  It is harder to organize and discipline
home workers.  (It is harder to "discourage" home-working scabs.)
There may also be safety issues (it's hard to see how this is relevant
in hand kniting; I've forgetten how the recent Vermont Home Knitters
case came out) and something to do with break-time, vacations, and the
like.  Home work is almost always piece-work which is almost always
contrary to union philosophy.  There was/is a recent court case
involving insurance home computing; I don't remember how that came out
(either), let alone what the issues were.

Home work in certain kinds of computing may also have failed because
home work is harder to coordinate; some of those meetings are actually
useful and being able to talk with people can definitely help sometimes.

I suspect that huge mainframe-style computing in the days before cheap
modems also discouraged home work computing.  I see more stories
involving home work computing in the media every year though.  It used
to be that most of them would be about home work computing but they're
disappearing and home work computing is just another thing mentioned.
(Some of the people in an article in last Sunday's SF Chronicle about
people who work more hours do home work computing and then go into the
office.)

One of these days I'll send a coherent posting instead of just
spouting opinions.

-andy

usenet  ucbvax!jade!violet!skyler
arpa    skyler@violet.berkeley.edu

fay.UUCP@seismo.css.gov (Peter Fay) (06/22/88)

In article <11167@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ecl@mtgzy.att.com writes:
>	3) labor laws often made it difficult to employ people
>	who worked primarily at home
>	4) OSHA laws often made it impossible to employ people
>	who worked primarily at home

Unions oppose "home workers" (otherwise known as cottage industry)
because it has always been a method to freely exploit workers
(almost always women) and evade health and safety laws, child labor
laws, and minimum wage laws.  For those who are a little weak
on their labor history, it was largely women in the labor movement
who fought home work and lobbied to make it illegal (or
restricted).  This is especially true of garment workers (yes,
knitting too). Cottage industry was used for over one hundred years
purposely to lengthen the working day, reduce wages, bust unions
and employ child labor. One need only review Congressional testimony
or read some labor history to understand this.

Although computer people are almost entirely non-unionized, there is
not yet a large surplus of these workers available to depress wages,
and the industry is not as troubled as, for example, the garment
industry, to entice companies to resort to these tactics. Yes, it is
nice to be able to work from home on occasion (I do it), but as an
industry-wide trend, especially for women, one can surmise it will
be used to worsen conditions. (This is not to say there are not
exceptions.) This could be a boon to empoyers: fewer benefits
("part-time or temporary employee", women can now work during
pregnancy leave), longer hours (nights, weekends - yes, I know we
already do), reduced chance of ever being unionized, reduced wages,
etc.

--
			peter fay
			fay@multimax.arpa

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/28/88)

Of course the difference between home computer programmers and
the cottage industry is that we would like to believe that computer
work falls into the "professional" category rather than "piecework"
and hence less subject to the abuses that the cottage industry
provides.  Doctors and Lawyers have traditionally operated out
of home offices.  As a matter of fact, the main reason that
professionals are pushed out of the home where I used to live is
that several influential developers got the zoning rules to be
interpreted strictly to forbid people from doing such so that they
had to go rent office space in an office building.

-Ron

rosa@uunet.UU.NET (06/30/88)

I read an article in "The Gaurdian" a few months ago that
quoted the following statistic for computing home-workers:
the majority of home workers earned at least a third less
than their contemporaries in the work-place.
This was partly due to the overheads of self-employment
insurance costs, re-rated home costs and lack of security
for sickness, to say nothing of the running costs and telephone
bills.
Many earned under half!