[comp.society.women] Government Pay Scales

metcalfe@nprdc.arpa (Margen Metcalfe) (07/16/88)

In article <12109@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> unisoft!bridget@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Bridget Dobbins) writes:

>Jobs for the Federal Government and the state of California are salaried
>according to a scale.  The scale is (roughly, if I remember right)
>GS-1 to GS-20 (or whatever), with a GS-20 having the highest salary.
>Each level encompasses both a salary range and educational
>and/or skill requirements.  For example, you can't progress beyond GS-6 or
>GS-7 unless you have a college degree.  There is nothing secretive about

I work for the federal government and there are many people in grades
GS-6 and above who do not have college degrees.  Experience combined
with education/training are considered.  The way a person's
application form is completed is the greatest determinant in what
grade that person rates.  The person with the higher grade may have
been able to put into words his background training better than
someone who was evaluated at a lower grade.

Margen Metcalfe
metcalfe@nprdc.arpa

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/20/88)

Each government series has it's own criteria for what consitutes
an employee at a particular GS level.  We were having problems with
the "Computer Scientist" series.  This whole things went from local
people, who agreed that degrees aren't as important other forms of
experience up through the regional (Philadelphia) OPM.  The other main
problem was that they don't consider pre degree work to be "experience"
so if you took a year or two off and did meaningful and significant
work, they didn't count that either.

-Ron