[comp.society.women] Language in a Requirements Specification

rha@purdue.edu (Robert H. Averack) (07/29/88)

     At the present time, I am writing a Requirements Specification for a
new software product.  The spec is getting rather voluminous, and during
the course of making references to Users, I have been using the pronouns
"him" and "his" as generics.

     My simple question is:  is this acceptable?  Will the appearance of
male pronouns as generic pronouns cause any undue discomfort for a reader?

     If so, I will certainly take the time to re-edit the specs.  If not,
I'll leave them as they are.

     Thanks for any advice.

--
                       {yale!,decvax!,philabs!}bunker!rha
                                  Bob Averack

Mark Ethan Smith (07/31/88)

In article <12781@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bunker!rha@purdue.edu (Robert H. Averack) writes:
>     At the present time, I am writing a Requirements Specification for a
>new software product.  The spec is getting rather voluminous, and during
>the course of making references to Users, I have been using the pronouns
>"him" and "his" as generics.
>
>     My simple question is:  is this acceptable?  Will the appearance of
>male pronouns as generic pronouns cause any undue discomfort for a reader?

I once read a very witty response to a similar question.  It
appeared as a letter to the editor, sent in by a reader of the
British _New Scientist_ magazine, and, as best I recall, went
something like this:

>>Athough we were taught that the word he embraces she, it has
>>been the discomforting experience of many a woman, upon assuming
>>to have been embraced by a particular he, to find that the he in
>>question had no such intentions at all!

Although the word he has traditionally been used as the generic,
most men and women feel that it does not truly include women.
Therefore, to save women the discomfort of having to worry about
whether they are actually included or not, and to prevent men from
becoming too comfortable with the assumption that they alone are
referred to, it would be necessary to use both pronouns throughout.

One way of avoiding this is to refer to the user, the engineer,
the programmer, the computer operator, etc., but after a few times,
brevity will require a return to pronouns.  As far as I know, I
am the first and only woman to insist on and prefer inclusive
pronouns, while not renouncing my sex.  Should this ever become
more widespread, with enough women demanding inclusion for most
women to begin to feel included, and for most men to agree that
a generic he is not intended to exclude women, the need for
gender specific pronouns in nongender related literature may cease.
Feminists have used she as the generic, to see if men would feel
included, and many did not.

--Mark

marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Marie desJardins) (08/02/88)

In article <12781@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bunker!rha@purdue.edu (Robert H. Averack) writes:
>[...] during
>the course of making references to Users, I have been using the pronouns
>"him" and "his" as generics.
>
>     My simple question is:  is this acceptable?  Will the appearance of
>male pronouns as generic pronouns cause any undue discomfort for a reader?

I am much more comfortable reading manuals that are obviously
meant for both men and women.  The use of male pronouns (while
grammatically "correct") tends to create the image of a male
user; this makes it more difficult for women to visualize
using the system themselves.  I am always appreciative of any
attempt to make pronoun usage more inclusive.

I suggest adopting any of the following strategies:
	1.  Use "he" and "she" alternately (switching with
	    each example, i.e. referring to a given
	    hypothetical user with consistent pronouns, but
	    switching with each new user)
	2.  Use "she" everywhere
	3.  Use he/she
	4.  Use an invented pronoun, with a note at the
	    beginning that you are following this usage
	    (e.g. "mun" instead of "he", "him", "she" or "her";
	    "muns" instead of "his" or "hers")
I find the first the best solution, as it creates an image
of actual people (some of whom happen to be male, some of
whom happen to be female) using the system.  The second is
sort of a "turnabout is fair play" solution; at least it
shows an awareness that there *is* a gender-reference problem;
at best it will make readers think.

He/she is cumbersome, but if you are particularly uncomfortable
using either of the first solutions, I find it preferable to "he"
everywhere.

4. would be best, especially if there were an accepted neutral
pronoun.  You could always be a trend-setter!

Marie desJardins

crm@cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (08/02/88)

   Feminists have used she as the generic, to see if men would feel
   included, and many did not.

Since there is no linguistic tradition of using she as a generic, there
had been no training in doing so, and I'm not surprised that men didn't.
I see a fair number of alternating he and she documents nowadays, and
find I'm no longer noticing -- I feel "included" by the she as well,
now.  (There's an old joke about being half woman on my mother's side
that I'll forbear....)

It would be a better experiment to arrange to have a collection of women
read manuals with the generic masculine pronoun and see if they felt
included.  By preference, this should be with a population of women that
hadn't already been corrupted by the Ms vs Miss and generic pronoun
debate; we just get in our Wayback machine with a stack of surveys...
where's that damned dog?

Anyway, here's was  Mary-Claire van Leunen says about the generic
pronoun:

	My expository style relies heavily on the exemplary singular,
	and the construction "everybody ... his" therefore comes up
	frequently.  This "his" is generic, not gendered.  "His or her"
	becomes clumsy with repetition and suggests that "his" alone
	elsewhere is masculine, which it isn't.  "Her" alone draws
	attention to itself and distracts from the topic at hand.
	"Their" solves the problem neatly but substitutes another.
	"Ter" is bolder than I am ready for.  "One's" defeats the
	purpose of the construction, which is meant to be vivid and
	particular.  "Its" is too harsh a joke.  Rather than play hob
	with the language, we feminists might adopt the position of
	pitying men for being forced to share their pronouns around.
			-- A Handbook for Scholars, pp 4--5.

skyler@violet.berkeley.edu (08/03/88)

Here are a variety of responses to the following query:

>      At the present time, I am writing a Requirements Specification for a
> new software product.  The spec is getting rather voluminous, and during
> the course of making references to Users, I have been using the pronouns
> "him" and "his" as generics.

I think that it is possible, and not incredibly difficult, to eliminate
gender pronouns in writing.  One method is heavy use of passive voice in
the writing (which I don't reccomend, since that usually makes the writings
painfully boring, even if they weren't that way to begin with).  Another
is to pretend that "their", "they", etc., are singular pronouns, which is
probably acceptable in a technical document, although an English scholar
would cringe at it.  A third choice is to use "they", "their", etc., in
their natural, plural habitat.  This works fairly well.  A final choice
is to alternate between male and female gender pronouns as often as you
can without creating illogical sentences like:  "First, the user should
insert the floppy into her computer's drive, then power on his computer."
Used with care, this style works well, and adds variety.

>      If so, I will certainly take the time to re-edit the specs.  If not,
> I'll leave them as they are.

I reccomend that you do re-edit them.  There are a number of good books
that tell how to avoid sexism in writing, but I don't know the references
to them.  I don't have the reference, but I'm sure someone here does.

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve

There was a workshop at the "Women into Computing" conference where this
issue came up. Basically the speaker, from the Open University - a
British state-funded distance learning college - looked at the role of
language in their Computer Course material. The outcomes were:-

1 "He" and "his" exclude half your audience.
2 "he/she" or "he or she" are ugly constructs and spoil the flow
of the text.
3 Using he in some sections and she in others seems to be the most
acceptable. Also remember to use she to describe senior staff, not just
he.

Hope that helps

David England

--
Dave uucp(Europe):   ...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!de
     uucp(Atlantic): ...!uunet!comp.lancs.ac.uk!de
>     My simple question is:  is this acceptable?

A simple answer: NO.

A simple solution: ???????

As a former English teacher who now writes and documents software, I am keenly
aware of the problem.  I think that the masculine pronouns may no longer
respectably parade about as "generics".  Too many people take (proper)
offense.

But constantly saying she/he, his/hers is ugly and distracting.  (Is it sexist
to put his before hers?  Should we count and balance his/hers, hers/his?).
Inventing new gender-neutral pronouns has been tried and ignored or laughed
to scorn.

Usually, what I do is to replace all masculine "generics" with feminine
pronouns, just to see if anyone notices (and as my contribution to gender
affirmative action).  If anyone complains, I just tell her (note the example!)
that for the next 1,500 years feminine pronouns are to be considered generic
in order to balance that last 1,500 years of English gender imbalance.

(Just kidding!!!!!!?)

Steve Price
pacbell!pbhyf!rsp
(415) 823-1951

In a recent book I saw the following example.  In a sentence (presumably
the first such in the chapter) beginning, "First, a leader identifies
himself..." the word "himself" is followed by an asterisk, leading the
reader to this note at the bottom of the page:  "Throughout this chapter,
masculine pronouns denote a person of either sex."  This allows all the
convenience of traditional usage while indicating that one has thought about
the matter or at least is aware that it is an issue.

As for discomfort, I find the use of FEMININE generic pronouns disquieting.  I
can understand why people want to use a generic "she" but unless one is writing
on language or on feminist topics, this usage is jarring.  In fact, it's
generally intended to be.  To contravene conventional usage is sometimes
useful and often thought-provoking, and should always be done carefully and
appropriately.  When I see a generic "she" I always think of a woman, and
while there certainly are lots of female managers, programmers, writers, etc.,
if I don't need to know an individual's sex, having my attention drawn to it
in, say, a book on programming only detracts from the author's purpose.  It's
one of those things that call attention to themselves, rather like bad
grammar or spelling.

As for "he or she," "his or her," etc., some of that is fine, but too much
is awkward.  And as for "s/he," if you can't say it, don't write it.  It's one
of those things like "and/or" that are closer to computer-manual format than
to real English.
				--Marc Sacks

[Many good writers have used "they" as the indefinite singular--
Addison, Austen, Fielding, Chesterfield, Ruskin, and Scott, for
example.  Such grammarians as Alexander Bain (1879), Henry Sweet
(1891), and, to a lesser extent, Jesperson (1922) support it as
well. For more on this, see the chapter entitled "The Word That
Failed" in Dennis Baron's _Grammar and Gender_.]

skyler@violet.berkeley.edu (08/04/88)

More responses on which pronouns to use in a computer document:

In article <4410@dandelion.CI.COM> sacks@classroom.UUCP (Marc Sacks) writes:
>As for discomfort, I find the use of FEMININE generic pronouns disquieting.  I
>can understand why people want to use a generic "she" but unless one is writing
>on language or on feminist topics, this usage is jarring...
>When I see a generic "she" I always think of a woman

Exactly the way I feel when I see a generic "he."  I always think of a man.

(Why is "comp.women" getting distribution?  The group "comp.society.women"
is supposed to serve this purpose.)

--
      Carol Springs         "Uncover the secrets of the Solar System and
Data Resources/McGraw-Hill  receive a FREE FM radio..."--Time-Life Books

In article <12878@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Marie desJardins) writes:
}I suggest adopting any of the following strategies:
}	1.  Use "he" and "she" alternately (switching with
}	    each example, i.e. referring to a given
}	    hypothetical user with consistent pronouns, but
}	    switching with each new user)

I agree that this is the best workable solution, but would take it
a bit farther to include a bit of the flavor of:

}	2.  Use "she" everywhere

Choose the gender of your fictitious users by using the reverse of their
usual gender in real society.  If your user in real life would normally
be a male, particularly if the user is more of a "power" person (i.e.,
a person in authority or with great technical knowledge), then make that
user a "she".  If the user is a secretary or a clerk/typist or some other
female-ghetto job, make that user a "he".

This is an idea from a non-sexist writing teacher in Texas named Harriet
"something" (?Stoner?)  I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me her
last name -- she had some very good down-to-earth useable tips on
non-sexist writing and had that unique easy-to-read style that made
me remember her first name rather than her last.  I'd love to be that
good a writer someday!

Curtis Jackson	-- moss!rcj  201-386-6409  (CORNET 232)
	...![ att ulysses ucbvax allegra ]!moss!rcj
	...![ att ucbvax akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

In article <12901@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> crm@cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) writes:
[About what Mary-Claire Van Leunen says in her book, *A Handbook for
Scholars*, on the subject of generic pronouns.]

Here is something that Mary-Claire wrote more recently (1985) on the same
subject.  She gave me permission to post it a few years ago, but that was
to a different audience.

Mary-Claire writes:

I think that we already have sex-indifferent first- and second-person
singular and plural personal pronouns and sex-indifferent third-person
plural pronouns and sex-indifferent personal relative pronouns and
sex-indifferent indefinite pronouns.

I think that all this wonderful sex-indifference in our pronouns has
not saved us from bad attitudes about men and women.

I think that people who speak other languages with different patterns
of sex-sensitivity and sex-indifference seem also to have bad attitudes
about men and women.

I doubt that introducing indifference into the third-person singular is
likely to bring us immediate salvation from bad attitudes about men and
women.

On principle, I say "anybody: they" and "somebody: they" out loud in
the hope that my doubt is ill-founded.  I hope that using those
constructions will help me form good attitudes about men and women.

When I write I have a problem:

In writing both about rhetoric and about computers I make extensive use
of long examples.  "The writer does so-and-so and so-and-so and
such-and-such and such-and-such."  "The reader does so-and-so and
so-and-so and such-and-such and such-and-such."  "The user does
so-and-so and so-and-so and such-and-such and such-and-such."

To construct such examples, I need a pronoun that is both personal and
strongly singular.  My ear tells me that the "they" in "anybody: they"
is only weakly singular.  "The user takes their time" sounds weird to
me.

When the person in the example is doing something sensible and good, I
can sometimes use the second person as my exemplary singular.  "You are
doing so-and-so and so-and-so and such-and-such and such-and-such."
Great.  Unfortunately, this use of the second person precludes other
uses in the same vicinity, and they are sometimes more pressing.  I
often need "you" imperative to the exclusion of "you" exemplary; I
write very bossy stuff.

When the person in the example is behaving foolishly or wrongly,
courtesy forbids "you" exemplary.

Throughout my whole professional life until quite recently I had always
used "he" exemplary.  "The writer: he."  "The secretary: he."

Lately I have been experimenting with "she" exemplary.  Because I like
"you" exemplary when I can use it, my use of any third-person exemplary
is going to have a slight bias in the direction of unfavorable
examples.  We shall see.

                        *

I have the fear that fiddling around with pronouns can take the place
of working to improve real life.  But I don't know how to improve real
life very much, so perhaps I oughtn't mention it.
-------

From usenet@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU Wed Aug  3 19:06:09 1988
To: comp-society-women@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
From: dana@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Dana Bergen)
Newsgroups: comp.society.women
Subject: Re: Language in a Requirements Specification
Date: 3 Aug 88 21:57:27 GMT
Sender: usenet@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

I read a book recently in which the author stated at the beginning
that he was using "he" as the generic human pronoun, for lack of a
better solution, and that he trusted women would not feel excluded
by this.  My reaction to this was, "Well, okay, it's not my preferred
solution but at least he's acknowledging the problem."  BUT!! -- what
I found was that when the person in question was a programmer (which
was the case most of the time), the generic pronoun "he" was used,
but when word processing applications were discussed and the person
in question was a secretary, why, suddenly the generic pronoun was
"she"!!

For those who argue that "he" is genderless and includes women: how
often do you see sentences like "Every nurse has his own stethescope"?
Doesn't that sound just a little bit funny to you?

My preference is for either alternating he and she (but being careful
to avoid engineers as always he and secretaries as always she), or
using they as a singular pronoun.  Since the latter is already common
usage in spoken English, I think it should become standard; unfortunately,
it hasn't yet, and using it does open one up to criticism from grammar
fanatics.

Dana
dana@ernie.berkeley.edu
ucbvax!ernie!dana

farren@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Michael J. Farren) (08/09/88)

[Although the initial inquiry has long since been answered, there
are still enough responses coming in which raise interesting issues
that I thought I'd post some more.  TR]

From: unisoft!gethen!farren@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Michael J. Farren)

marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Marie desJardins) writes:
>>Will the appearance of
>>male pronouns as generic pronouns cause any undue discomfort for a reader?
>
>I suggest adopting any of the following strategies:
[...]
>	4.  Use an invented pronoun, with a note at the
>	    beginning that you are following this usage
>	    (e.g. "mun" instead of "he", "him", "she" or "her";
>	    "muns" instead of "his" or "hers")

Do NOT use this strategy if your desire is to create documentation
which will be easily readable, without "undue discomfort to the reader".
No matter how many disclaimers you put in the beginning, readers will
still stumble over each and every occurence of the invented pronoun.
While acceptable for casual writing, in more formal writing this is badly
out of place.

When and if someone comes up with a euphonious gender-neutral pronoun,
and it becomes commonly used in casual communication, it may well become
common enough to gain a foothold in the language, and thus become
appropriate for more formal usage.  Until then, though, all you will
be doing is creating obstacles to communication, not facilitating it.
"Ms." is a good example - at first used only within the feminist
community, it slowly spread, because of its obvious similarity to
"Mr." and "Mrs.", and its obvious use as a marital-status-neutral
salutation.  It took years before its use was accepted in more formal
circumstances, such as newspapers.

Personally, I would like to see a good gender-neutral pronoun, but
none of those proposed so far sound right.  "hir", "pern", and the like
are all much too dissimilar to standard English - they just clash in
my asthetic sense.  Until someone creates a word which "fits", I
would recommend judicious use of the alternating "he" and "she"
technique, along with more use of "their", in circumstances where its
use is appropriate.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

From: R Fairbairns <rf%computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

I'ld cast a vote for she/hers on the basis of affirmative action, balancing the
last 1500 years, etc...

However, analysis of the issue may perhaps prove illuminating. I think it's
misleading to consider humanity as a whole when guessing reaction. For the
present purpose, I think there are three classes of human:

1. The male supremacist
(Who may be of either gender, of course.) They will either think "fancy, I
didn't know that was a woman's job", or "it's those raving feminists at it
again!". So what? They deserve to be stirred up.

2. The non-sexist woman.
Probably won't notice at all...
(I'm not really qualified to be sure, however.)

3. The non-sexist man
Will be pulled up short, but will immediately realize what's going on (Mary-
Claire van Leunen notwithstanding). I experienced this recently with an early
draft of an OSI standard(!): no real problem.

My objections to some of the alternatives offered:

A. Invented words.
We have too many invented words in computing as it is. If the language needs
a genderless generic, it'll arise in due course. I don't believe (as a general
rule) in trying that route for encouraging social change.
(Incidentally, the word "mun", which somebody suggested,  is an existing
English dialect word at least twice over - once meaning "must" and once meaning
"he/him"!)

B. Plural pronouns for singular meaning
I just find this confusing and ugly. So what if lots of good writers do this
extraordinary thing? No doubt, if I were a Fielding or an Austen I could get
away with it, but I'm not. Anyway, Austen spells `surprise' "surprize": who's
going to justify the invasion of the `z's on that basis?

Robin Fairbairns
  ^

  male of that ilk
Sarah Groves Hobart writes:

In article <12781@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bunker!rha@purdue.edu (Robert H. Averack) writes:
>[...] during
>the course of making references to Users, I have been using the pronouns
>"him" and "his" as generics.

The solution I use is to make all references to generic people plural.
In that way I can use the generic pronouns "they" and "their".

Example:

When the user types this command, he . . .
When users type this command, they . . .

I also support the use of "they" and "their" with singular precedents,
but since there is some controversy about this method, I tend to avoid
it in published papers.  Not everyone can agree, can they?

Sarah Groves Hobart
--
{ihnp4,amdahl,sun}!pacbell!laticorp!sarah

From: well!slf@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Sharon Lynne Fisher)

Regarding his and her:
I'm an editor, and I run into this a lot.  In many, many of the
cases, it's possible to get rid of the hisness by rewriting the sentence
a little.  And no, you don' t always end up with the passive voice.
Instead of "the user inserts his disk into his PC," what's wrong with
"inserting *the* disk into *the* PC"?

Eugene Miya writes:

Teresa Roberts devoted a page to this issue in her PhD thesis on text
editors.  (She justified the use of she in her thesis).  I thought about
posting, this, but a better idea came to me.  Some years ago, I was
researching Lorinda Cherry's Writer's Work Bench (WWB, not to be
confused with the Documenter's Work Bench).  Anyway I discovered
the program sexist(1).  We don't have WWB on any of our systems here
at Ames, but fortunately I have access to it elsewhere.  Are "man" pages
copywritten?  Sexist(1) had a reference document.  [Well
I suspended this letter and did wwbinfo and wwbaid, no man page].
I don't have the hardcopy WWB document in my office anymore.
This is only a suggestion, the shell scripts sound a bit more strict
about copyright.  Hope this helps [may sell a few WWB systems...].

--eugene miya