[comp.society.women] Countering discrimination your childer will face

@hamlet.bitnet:tan@devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greer H. Tan) (10/13/88)

In article <5396@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> pedersen%math.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.E
DU writes:
>In message <5375@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>,  hplabs!joanne@hpccc.hp.com
>(Joanne Petersen) writes:
>>  I always felt that I was supported by parents and teachers in my endeavors
>>  to learn about mathematics.  How unusual this sounds now, in the context of
>>  the 'discrimination' discussion....
>
>I was supported by my parents and teachers too.  The general public is
>a different story.
>I have a tale of two math majors to tell.

Sharon's tale of two math majors sounds like the perfect example of what
a little self "comfort" can do.  I say "comfort" because I know of many
people who aren't really self confident or that self assured, but they
are fairly comfortable with their shyness, and dependencies.  Usually,
a supportive group of family and friends ... or maybe just family, will
give a person the overall feeling of comfort with themselves.  And that
person will be less influenced by thoughtless comments like those encountered
by Sharon's friend.

Another case may be that ... women may be feeling some pressure from other
women ... Imagine a woman who excels in math and science, but whose true
love is music and art (more traditional "female" things) ... Does it take
a stronger woman *still* to pursue her real dream career?  What of the
woman who has graduated college not with a B.A. but a B.S. in engineering
or science, but decides that what would fullfill her the most would be
to organize and run a family and home?  Would it be different if she had
majored in a traditional "female" major in college and then decided to
organize and run a family?

Now, imagine men in the same situations, a man -- excelling in math -- turns to
music or history or literature, a man with a degree in chemical engineering
decides to stay home and watch the children and organize the home ... a
man who studied Spanish Art History and runs an emaculate home.
What do you think?  Are our reactions and feelings to these
people different?  If so, is that something desirable?  Or perhaps something
we need examine more closely?  ... Just a thought ...

Greer
tan@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov