From: beb@mit-amt (Brian E Bradley)
Subject: Re: Fooey on your cynical, litigious personalities
Newsgroups: news.sysadmin

  Let's call it what it is: "computer rape".

  Sure, you lost a day's work because of the virus, and you got heartburn.
But that's not what really bothers you.  Your machine seems somehow --
well, DIRTY...  You don't really trust it anymore.  It's been "doing it"
for someone else.  And, deep down in the back of your mind, you KNOW that
your rival's code was BETTER than yours: once the computer tasted HIS
code, it could think of nothing else.

  Gentlemen, let's be sensitive to the victims, too.

  Because of the Worm, our relationship with our Signifigant Automata is
forever changed.  Their increasingly infected chassis are more and more
human every day.

  The appearance of dangerous diseases in the electronic ecology means
that the majority of guys will marry one machine and avoid the swinging
"network" information meat market.  Unless, of course, his machine is
down for some reason, or the guy needs something "special".

  In a surprisingly short time, a user will be able to go to the drugstore
24 hours a day to buy "network protectors"; perhaps they will even be
ribbed, colored, scented, and disposable after one use.

  In the meantime, even the most ardent civil libertarians among us are
growling and threatening to bludgeon virus publishers to death with
baseball bats.  Control over personal property is a much more compelling
motivation than concepts like "the free marketplace of ideas".  But, until
the law catches up with the current marketplace of intellectual
property, software publishing (and "genetic" publishing, for that matter)
is an ill-defined and lawless game.  Perhaps some future court will rule
that a man can kill to keep his black box from being raped.

  And "rape" is the issue here.  To spare my colleagues the embarassment
of irrational, emotional public displays, I would like to point out that
many systems administrators are behaving like the victims of forcible
rape.  Be aware of your own actions, and be careful that your choices
are not driven by unhealthy motives, such as obsessive paranoid reactions
to a perceived loss of security.  Set reasoable goals, curb your extremism,
and don't pop a blood vessel over it.

  If youthink you're suffering, I suggest a brief dip in Women's Movement
books.  They've been grappling with the same issues as we Worm-Fighters,
but they've had centuries of life-and-death experience coping with the
problem.  Of course, the Computer Security Support Groups DO exist, but
they are impossible to find or join...

kylo@uncecs.edu (Kylo Ginsberg) (11/18/88)

This article was infuriating.  I'll hold my temper here though and
just make a couple points.

Trish asks:
>think the analogy of women and computers is appropriate to this group,
>though.  Is this a common analogy?  (I haven't seen it before.)  Does
>it show up other places?  What sort?

In my experience, this is a common analogy but certainly not mapped
out the way the @*$*@$ writing that article did.  I've heard people
refer to a computer as a she, just as they might a ship or their Mustang.
I can't think of any examples of this analogy going further than the
pronoun, but I can certainly imagine people running with it like this guy.
I've always thought this was strange (Mustang as a she?), but thanks
to this fellow's assholery I have some speculations.

I imagine some (computer?) jock sitting around thinking: a machine (ship,
Vax, Mustang) is this stupid, irrational thing which is often uppity
and a royal pain.  But if its owner/manager babies it just right, it will
run like a charm, (how does an engine "purring" fit into this analogy?)
and give the owner/manager a certain kind of strokes.  There's something
macho about knowing how to handle one of them, keep them in line.
You get the idea.

Let me come at this from another angle.  This guy had a good insight in
that people feel violated by this worm.  Their space was violated.  So
far, this language need not lead to "computer rape".  It seems to me that
an excellent analogy for this worm is somebody breaking into your home.
In my (limited) experience, people whose homes have been broken into
experience an analogous feeling of having been violated.  But, if you
add violation together with the she-ness of the thing violated, then
this guy's response is perhaps more predictable.  I wonder if he would
react similarly hearing about sugar being poured in the gas tanks of his
cronies' Mustangs?

Here's another vantage point for why this analogy might exist: go listen
to some Beach Boys songs.  I just listened to "This Car of Mine", "Little
Honda," and "409".  The following might be some criteria for the
women-as-machine analogy:
1) possession
2) complexity, these things need to be tuned up, they're unpredictable, etc
3) investedness--I'm not really sure what word to put for this, but this
analogy is only used for very significant machines, ones that deliver some
sort of (ego?) strokes to the owning person.
Anyway, "409" ends: Nothing can catch her, Nothing can touch her, Giddyup
409, Giddyup 409, 409, 409,....

--Kylo