[comp.society.women] Logic and Intuition

skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (11/04/88)

Logic and intuition are not opposites.  And I don't think the
Lacanians want to suggest they are.

We need to distinguish between discourse and language.  There is
an attitude towad discourse in the West which is often categorized
as "male."  It is that we solve problems through an essentially
adversarial mode--you throw your ideas out and I throw mine out
and we fight them out.  The one that wins is the best.  This assumes
that discussion should be a kind of battle and that some things have
to win and others lose.  Feminists like Adrienne Rich have (rather
eloquently) suggested a different view (as have social theorists
like Habermas.)

This is different from language use.  Logic generally involves what
Prisig calls the knife--you cut the world up into little categories.
That form of logic is _perfectly_ compatible with intuition--you might
intuit different categories, or connections among categories.  (It is,
as you might guess, perfectly compatible with connectionism in ai.)  It
is not compatible with Lacanian feminists' ideas about language use.
They think there are two things which language does (as we presently
practice it) which alienate women (or force women to alienate themselves
from their own bodies): cause us to define distinctions among the world,
to categorize; cause us to the put some things above others, some things
at the center and others at the fringe.

Does this help?  (And those lurkers out there who are far better
informed about this than I am, is that a fair summary?)

-Trish

jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK (Jeff Dalton) (11/10/88)

In article <8526@spl1.UUCP> skyler@ecsvax.uncecs.edu writes:
>Does this help?

Not very much.  You start by saying:

>Logic and intuition are not opposites.  And I don't think the
>Lacanians want to suggest they are.

You then say we need to distinguish between discourse and language
and go on to say something about discourse in the West.  Ok, but so
far nothing about logic or intuition.  The next paragraph goes on
to language use, where you say that logic (cutting up the world)
is not incompatible with intuition but is incompatible with Lacanian
feminists ideas about language use.  This says something about the
Lacanian views on logic, but I still don't know what they think
about intuition.  It sounds like they don't really care about
logic vs. intuition at all but think some other distinctions are
important instead.

>They think there are two things which language does (as we presently
>practice it) which alienate women (or force women to alienate themselves
>from their own bodies): cause us to define distinctions among the world,
>to categorize; cause us to the put some things above others, some things
>at the center and others at the fringe.

What strange things to think.  Language alienates women but not men?
I prefer the "eastern" view that distinctions are ultimately false
for everyone, especially since the idea then is not to be deceived
by them rather than not to make them.  (Well, for practical purposes,
I would say there *is* a difference between the potato and the dirt
it's in.)  And then: language (?) causes (?) women to put some things
above others.  I suppose a woman wouldn't value her own body over the
nearest teaspoon (for example) if not for language.  If so, why isn't
language a good thing?  And: language as we presently practice it?
I doubt language is possible without drawing distinctions.  We'd
have a bit of trouble with nouns anyway.  Shall we get rid of them?

-- Jeff

roskos@ida.org (Eric Roskos) (12/20/88)

[This was originally mail to me.  I thought it would be of interest to
everyone and asked permission to post it.  TR]

>I really would like the details.  If you'd like, you can do it as
>an article.  I'd also love references.

Hello.  I was just rereading your posting.

I wasn't entirely clear on what the underlying points were to what you were
saying, possibly because I don't generally think of these things in terms
of issues of "feminism" and the like; I think that feminist issues may be one
instance of the problem, but I don't think the problem is peculiar to
feminism.

On the one hand, you seemed to be talking about what epistemologists call
"contextualism".  A good friend of mine, Lee Rowen, who is incidentally both
a good feminist and a good philosopher, did a lot of philosophical work on
the topic of contextualism for her PhD dissertation.  However, she was
concerned with philosophy of science.  The basic idea behind her work was
that our views of "truth" are biased by the words we use to describe them,
or the "context" in which we discuss them.  Thus, scientific truth and the
direction taken by science is highly biased by what people have previously
discovered, and how they describe what they have discovered, such that
what they perceive as the "truths" of science are in some sense relative to
the context of ideas in which they think.  This sounds like what you were
were suggesting when you said:

>They think there are two things which language does (as we presently
>practice it) which alienate women (or force women to alienate themselves
>from their own bodies): cause us to define distinctions among the world,
>to categorize; cause us to the put some things above others, some things
>at the center and others at the fringe.

She is currently a professor of philosophy at CalTech; she has published
various papers on the subject, but they are generally very hard to read,
since they are very abstract.

However, underlying the whole idea of contextualism, I think, is the more
general concept you seemed to be pointing towards, the distinction between
"logic" and intuition.

It is currently my belief, based largely on John Hopfield's research in
artificial neural networks (one of the "connectionist" models you allude to,
although one that is much more generally applicable than followers of the
recent "neural networks" fad seem to realize), that "intuition" is the
basic method by which people think.  That is to say, human thought, and
also processing by networks of the sort Hopfield describes, do not proceed
by traditional formal logic, but instead using mechanisms that more closely
resemble the traditional basic properties of physics (such as gravity in
n-space).  I think this is the mode in which people think most effectively,
although I also think there are limits on what can be "accomplished" by
pure intuitive reasoning.

Built on top of intuitive reasoning is symbolic reasoning, or "logic" in
its various forms.  This includes verbal reasoning and verbal conceptualizing,
in which things are represented by words or "labels" rather than by
some internal representation of perceptions.  These are inherently
restraining simply because words are imprecise; T. S. Eliot in "Four
Quartets" mentions this, the failure of words to convey ideas.  It is also
fundamental to the Zen Buddhist concept of enlightenment (and their method
of teaching, although it is an unusual and imprecise method).

Symbolic reasoning is, I think, necessary to "construct" things.  People
tend to feel most "fully functioning" when they are acting intuitively,
which is a reason for the appeal of things like athletic activities
("Bull Durham" was about this idea); but symbolic thinking is a "tool" like
other tools for constructing concepts.  It essentially requires creating
"models" of things in the (intuitive) mind, and then using various rules
to manipulate the models.  It is also necessary for communication of
"higher concepts"; you can communicate feelings and even ways of doing
things nonverbally, and tend to understand others' actions intuitively,
but conveying specific ideas such as principles of physics or engineering
tend to be done symbolically simply because the symbols provide a way
to communicate abstractions for things rather than the things themselves.
This is both their strength, and their weakness, since symbolic reasoning
and communication is good for cases of abstraction and construction,
but like all abstractions it abstracts away ideas.  I think people
function best when they are able to use both of these ways of thinking,
but that most people rely largely on one or the other.  The Myers-Briggs
test's distinction between "Intuiting" and "Sensing" personality types
tests for this difference in orientation.

What is particularly intriguing about this is that in modern-day people,
there tends to be a split between the intuitive and symbolic selves, such
that people tend to have two distinct identities in many cases.  Schizophrenic
individuals tend to have the most severe separations of these identities,
but they seem to exist in most people.  Wilson Van Dusen's very amazing
paper, "The Natural Depth in Man," which is published in Carl Rogers' book
_Person_To_Person:_The_Problem_of_Being_Human_, discusses Van Dusen's
discovery of what seems to be his intuitive self manipulating verbal
symbols to communicate ideas that are outside of his consistent, conscious
self.  There is also some suggestion that the concept of the "ego" is
actually an approximation to the verbal self; an intriguing example of
this is the psychologist Helen Schucman's book, "A Course in Miracles,"
in which a woman who has been constrained to live a "domestic" life for
most of her life seems to have developed an elaborate and largely intuitive
theory independent of her external life, which she tries to communicate in
a curiously intuitive way in this book, through religious symbolism.  (The
book makes much broader and larger claims than that, and I don't know if
I disagree with the book's broader claims; rather, the above is just a
commentary on how the book seems to have been written, rather than on its
content.)

I don't have many specific references on this subject, because it is the
result of several years of thinking and reading in an attempt to solve a
specific problem, the question of how to convey architectural principles
in the design of computer systems to others.  It is an example of the sort
of thing that seems to be largely nonsymbolic and intuitive in nature, but
which is particularly hard to communicate because people in this field
refuse to accept, for the most part, any results which are not symbolically
representable.  My very recent paper, "Minix Policy Model," which I
presented last week at the AIAA conference in Orlando, is an example of
an attempt to find a symbolic representation for architectural ideas that
are actually largely intuitive in nature.  It doesn't have anything specific
to do with the concepts I've described here, although I do allude to them
a few times in the paper.  The paper is about an OS architecture, symbolically
represented.

Note, of course, that all *ideas* are inherently symbolic at one level, since
they are represented in the mind.  The distinction between the "intuitive"
reasoning and the "symbolic" reasoning I've been referring to is that the
symbolic reasoning uses recognized, distinct symbols, whether they are
the symbols from symbolic logic, or words like "women" and "feminists," to
represent things by abstraction.  The intuitive representations of things
are fairly direct representations of how the things were originally
perceived (or how they will be carried out, in the Bull Durham sort of
examples), rather than abstractions that are "freed" from the full
perceptual representation in order to be manipulated.

-- Eric Roskos, IDA