[comp.society.women] Personal Scandals

marcia%hpindl8@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (Marcia Bednarcyk) (02/10/89)

The other day on the "Today" show, the guests were discussing the Tower
nomination for Secretary of Defense. One person mentioned that the mere
allegation of "womanizing" would have killed the nomination if Tower were
a woman (would she have been "manizing"?).

This brought to mind the remark made in the last discussion about why women
don't post more which read something like "women tend to worry about their
reputations more than men". I think what was made prefectly clear to me is
that women *have* to, as long as the double standard is still around.

Also along these lines, does anyone know of a woman that has "overcome" a
personal scandal of that sort and still gotten a prestigious post or
something similar? Somehow I doubt it, if something like crying can be used
to help bring Patricia Schroeder's presidential campaign to a screeching halt.

Marcia Bednarcyk            ADDRESS: (hplabs, sun, ucbvax, uunet)!hpda!marcia

"Sweaty Snugglebunnies."

michaelm%vax.3Com.Com@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Michael McNeil) (03/02/89)

Marcia's article is right on the edge of being applicable to women
in computing or women and the net, but I felt it deserved a reply.

[I too agreed that it was right on the edge, but I received so many
over. TR]

In article <6376@ecsvax.UUCP> marcia%hpindl8@hp-sde.sde.hp.com
(Marcia Bednarcyk) writes:
>The other day on the "Today" show, the guests were discussing the Tower
>nomination for Secretary of Defense. One person mentioned that the mere
>allegation of "womanizing" would have killed the nomination if Tower were
>a woman (would she have been "manizing"?).

I'm not at all sure that's true.  Congress would have a tough time
killing appointment of a woman to the Cabinet on a mere allegation.
(Moral:  Don't believe everything you hear on the "Today" show....)

>This brought to mind the remark made in the last discussion about why women
>don't post more which read something like "women tend to worry about their
>reputations more than men". I think what was made prefectly clear to me is
>that women *have* to, as long as the double standard is still around.

Although remnants of the double standard still exist, I doubt that many
women nowadays are penalized for not being married to their boyfriends,
say -- behavior that would have caused them great difficulty in society
and employment only a few decades ago.  (A personal experience: I grew
up until I was twelve thinking my brother was my *uncle* -- all because
my parents didn't want my father's side of the family to know my mother
had been married before.)  Today, in my own employment (a computer firm
in California's Silicon Valley) and elsewhere, I know a number of women
in living-together situations who are respected managers or engineers.
I haven't conducted a survey, but I see no evidence their careers have
been noticeably hampered.  If you were to run for President, it might
be different (for either a man or a woman) -- but things aren't static.

>Also along these lines, does anyone know of a woman that has "overcome"
>a personal scandal of that sort and still gotten a prestigious post or
>something similar? Somehow I doubt it, if something like crying can be used
>to help bring Patricia Schroeder's presidential campaign to a screeching halt.

Didn't a tear bring Ed Muskie's presidential campaign to a screeching
halt a number of years ago?  No, that could *never* happen to a man! ;-)

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@3comvax.UUCP
3Com Corporation		hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	I know perfectly well that at this moment the whole universe
	is listening to us -- and that every word we say echoes to
	the remotest star.
		Jean Giraudoux, *The Madwoman of Chaillot*