[comp.society.women] Women and Mathematics

marla@Sun.COM (Marla Parker) (07/21/88)

HP put me in touch with Women and Mathematics, a national organization
that provides high schools and jr. high's with speakers who encourage
the students to continue taking math classes.

I spoke with Alice Kelly, the National Director of Programs for the
coming year.  Women and Mathematics was started in 1976.  It is
primarily a speaker service, she said.  They do not separate the
girls from the boys, and they try not to come across as militant
feminists ("though of course we all are", she said as an aside :-).
She said having boys in the audience might introduce them to the
possibility of working for a female manager someday.

One joins Women and Mathematics by becoming a speaker.  Alice Kelly
suggested I call Jean Chan, the Program Director for Northern
California, since she is compiling her list of speakers right now.
Jean Chan is also the Chair of the Mathematics Department at Sonoma
State University.  I've been trying to call her today at (707) 664-2368
but no one answers, so I'm going to send a letter tomorrow.

If you want to be a speaker and you live in some other part of the
country, contact Alice Kelly at (408) 554-6811 and she will put
put you in touch with the Program Director nearest you.

It sounds like a very professional organization, doing exactly what
I had in mind.  Alice Kelly was interested in the responses I'd
gotten to my c.s.w query about other organizations that are trying
to start similar programs in the Bay Area, so I'm sending her a copy
of my summary posting.  (None of the active programs I heard about
were local, except maybe Expanding Your Horizons.)

The following is from Karen's mail to me:

|I recently began a new job in marketing at HP.  I'd been here all of one day
|when someone asked me to speak to a group of 12-year-old girls about the
|importance of math in my job.  Two women in my group coordinated a
|"field trip" for some girls from a local junior high.  The girls that
|visited us at HP spoke to women in R&D, support, marketing, and training.
|It was really exciting for them to see how a company works, and exciting
|for the employees who participated to get a perspective on what we do...
|I loved it!
|
|Women and Mathematics is a national organization which provides talks to
|girls/women on math related subjects.  Two of my colleagues have developed
|a talk called "Mathematics in the Real World" where they discuss how simple
|mathematics (math the students are currently using) are used in everyday
|tasks.

Marla Parker		(415)336-2538
{ihnp4, decvax, seismo, decwrl, ...}!sun!marla
marla@sun.com

marla@Sun.COM (Marla Parker) (07/27/88)

If you have been unsuccessfully trying to contact Alice Kelly, the
National Director of Programs for Women and Mathematics, here is
her home phone number: (408) 253-8440, and she has an answering
machine.  The number I posted before is her number at the University
of Santa Clara, but she isn't in the office much during summer. You
could also send a letter to her at the Mathematics Department of the
University of Santa Clara, Santa Clara, CA, 95053.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's part of my orignal
posting.

|I spoke with Alice Kelly, the National Director of Programs for the
|coming year.  Women and Mathematics was started in 1976.  It is
|primarily a speaker service, she said.  They do not separate the
|girls from the boys, and they try not to come across as militant
|feminists ("though of course we all are", she said as an aside :-).
|She said having boys in the audience might introduce them to the
|possibility of working for a female manager someday.
|
|One joins Women and Mathematics by becoming a speaker.  Alice Kelly
|suggested I call Jean Chan, the Program Director for Northern
|California, since she is compiling her list of speakers right now.
|Jean Chan is also the Chair of the Mathematics Department at Sonoma
|State University.  I've been trying to call her today at (707) 664-2368
|but no one answers, so I'm going to send a letter tomorrow.
|
|If you want to be a speaker and you live in some other part of the
|country, contact Alice Kelly at (408) 554-6811 and she will put
|put you in touch with the Program Director nearest you.
Marla Parker		(415)336-2538
{major backbone}!sun!marla
marla@sun.com

marla@Sun.COM (Marla Parker) (03/02/89)

In article <6432@ecsvax.UUCP> hunt@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu (Francie Hunt) writes:

>Actually, I think the visibility of successful women in the sciences
>is much more important at the younger levels.  By the time my students
>see me, they have already decided that they have the "right stuff"!
>I would like to be able to interact with girls in junior high and
>thereabouts to get them thinking about technical careers at an earlier age.

Early last summer I sent a vague request to this group for information
on high school career days, etc.  The 30+ responses that I received
boiled down to these suggestions: Society of Women Engineers, YWCA's
Career Options Unlimited,  Association for Women in Computing,
Expanding Your Horizons (sponsored by the Math/Science Network), Women
and Mathematics (WAM), Association of MIT Alumnae (AMITA), American
Women in Science, and assorted programs sponsored by large companies,
e.g.  Honeywell's Women in Technology and Science (WITS).

My local SWE does have some sort of a speakers' program, but it did not
sound as active as WAM.  Fortunately I contacted Jean Chan, the
coordinator for my WAM region, just in time last June to be included in
the 1988/89 WAM Speakers Booklet.  The booklets are sent to all the
middle and high schools in this region.  A school sends a request form
to WAM and Dr. Chan then tries to match up the request with the speaker
or some other speaker who has a similar talk.  So far I've spoken to
three groups at one high school in February, and I have scheduled talks
for two other high schools in March and April.  I turned down another
school because it was too far away (Dublin, CA).

I'm amazed at how much I've learned about speaking from just my first 3
talks.  My first audience was small and as silent as mice - no
questions at all.  The second and third were larger and there was more
response, I hope partly because I'm learning how to better encourage
interaction.

WAM needs more speakers.  I'll type in the names of all the regional
coordinators at the end of this (long) message.  Also I may as well
type in the letter that Dr. Chan sends to the schools.

SWE did call me eventually about speaking, but I turned them down
because I'm doing my limit for WAM already.  But through SWE I am
participating in the Girl Scouts Walk-A-Day program.  On March 14, a
9th grade girl is going to tag me all day at work.  I'm not supposed to
do anything different than usual, and she is just going to observe and
I presume ask questions.  My group is looking forward to it.  My boss
laughed when I told him about it and then suggested that I schedule it
on a day when there will be a bug meeting to attend, since those are
sometimes fun.  I don't know if the Walk-A-Day program is national or
just put on by GS of Santa Clara County.

In both these programs, I don't think I am providing a role model for
anyone so much as I am educating them about possibilities.  Everyone
knows the term "doctor" and everyone has some idea of what doctors do,
but hardly anyone knows what software engineers do for a living, and
many people have never even heard the term "software engineer".  The
same goes for most other engineering fields as well.  When I was in jr.
high I though an engineer drove a train, period.  Little did I know...

Marla Parker		(415)336-2538
marla@sun.com

marla@Sun.COM (Marla Parker) (03/02/89)

(WAM names and some numbers, followed by Dr. Chan's letter to the
schools of Northern and Central California.)

Women and Mathematics

Director of Programs:
	Alice J. Kelly	(408) 554-6811
	Department of Mathematics
	Santa Clara University
	Santa Clara, CA 95053

Director of Funding:
	Dr. Alice T. Schafer
	Department of Mathematics
	Box 64
	Wellesley College
	Wellesley, MA 02181

Regional Coordinator for Northern California:
	Dr. Jean B. Chan	(707) 664-2368
	Department of Mathematics
	Sonoma State University
	Rohnert Park, CA 94928

Other Regional Coordinators
(in a weird order, e.g. Greater Texas under "g" and North Texas under "n")
If you don't see your region, contact Alice Kelly.

Baltimore/Washington
	Dr. Florence Fasanelli, National Science Foundation/SEE

Chicago Area
	Dr. Ramona G. Choos, Chicago State University

Greater Philadelphia
	Deborah S. Simon
	Dr. Gloria S. Dion, Penn State Ogontz

Greater Texas
	Barbara J. Montalto, Texas Education Agency

Hawaii
	Mi-Soo B. Smith, Chaminade University of Honolulu

Kansas City
	Sister Jo Ann Fellin, Benedictine College

Michigan
	Dr. Jean S. Simutis, Alma College

Montana
	Glenda Tinsley, North Junior High School
	Cynthia S. Baumann, Lewiston Public Schools

New York/New Jersey
	Dr. Mary R. Hesselgrave, AT&T

North Texas
	Dr. Lou Ann Mahaney, University of Dallas

Northern California
	Dr. Jean B. Chan, Sonoma State University

Oregon
	Dr. Jill McKenney, Lane Community College

Puget Sound Area
	Betty L. Hawkins, Shoreline Community College

Southern California
	Linda D. Barkley, Hughes Aircraft Company

Utah
	Dr. Carolyn Tucker, Westminster College of Salt Lake City

NEWSLETTER
	Dagmar Karsen-Puhm
	8478 56th Street
	Riverside, CA 92509

September, 1988

To:	Mathematics and Science Teachers and School Principals and
	Counselors of Northern and Central California

(From Jean Chan, Chair, Department of Mathematics, Sonoma State
University.  Reprinted without permission but I'm sure she wont
mind. :-)

		OBJECTIVES

WAM (Women and Mathematics) is a national group of women whose careers
and professions require a strong working knowledge of mathematics and
the sciences.  We aim to encourage all students, girls and boys, to
take as many mathematics courses as possible, stimulate student
interest in mathematics and science subjects, offer role models, and
discuss the future and the exciting jobs waiting for those well trained
in mathematics.

		BACKGROUND

Very few junior and senior high school students have firmly decided on
a career.  Fewer still understand the importance of mathematics on
their career choices.  Only a small handful comprehend that the most
desirable and satisfying jobs society offers will be closed to those
without substantial mathematical knowledge.

		METHOD

WAM is organized to assist and complement your school's mathematics
program.  We will visit your school, make presentations to your
mathematics and science classes, come to career days or PTA meetings,
and answer students' questions.  We hope to provide career counseling,
a glimpse at the beauty of mathematics and how it is applied to solving
problems in the modern world, and share our enthusiasm with your
students.

		COST

WAM services are free.  To participate, please complete the application
form and send it to me.  We will schedule a speaker for your school at
a convenient time.

Through my own experiences giving talks to mathematics and science
students, I know how receptive to mathematical ideas students can be.
Together, we can expand and enrich mathematics education opportunities
for our students.

Marla Parker		(415)336-2538
marla@sun.com

erspert@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (05/10/89)

I have been enjoying the discussion of women and mathematics and
thought you all might enjoy this passage I ran across from E.T. Bell's
_Men_of_Mathematics_, pages 261-262.

If Gauss was somewhat cool in his printed expressions of appreciation,
he was cordial enough in his correspondence and in his scientific
relations with those who sought him out in a spirit of disinterested
inquiry.  One of his scientific friendships is of more than
mathematical interest as it shows the liberality of Gauss' views
regarding women scientific workers.  His broadmindedness in this
respect would have been remarkable for any man of his generation; for
a German it was almost without precedent.

The lady in question was Mademoiselle Sophie Germain (1776-1831) --
just a year older than Gauss.  She and Gauss never met, and she died
(in Paris) before the University of Gottingen could confer the
honorary doctor's degree which Gauss recommended to the faculty.  By a
curious coincidence we shall see the most celebrated woman
mathematician of the nineteenth century, another Sophie, getting her
degree from the same liberal University many years later after Berlin
had refused her on account of her sex.  Sophie appears to be a lucky
name in mathematics for women -- provided they affiliate with
broadminded teachers.  The leading woman mathematician of our own
times, Emmy Noether (1882-1935) also came from
Gottingen.@footnote(``Came from'' is right.  When the sagacious Nazis
expelled Fraulein Noether from Germany because she was a Jewess, Bryn
Mawr College, Pennsylvania, took her in.  She was the most creative
abstract algebraist in the world.  In less than a week of the new
German enlightenment, Gottingen lost the liberality which Gauss
cherished and which he strove all his life to maintain.)

Sophie Germain's scientific interests embraced acoustics, the
mathematical theory of elasticity, and the higher arithmetic, in all
of which she did notable work...

Entranced by the _Disquisitiones_Arithmeticae_, Sophie wrote to Gauss
some of her own arithmetical observations.  Fearing that Gauss might
be prejudiced against a woman mathematician, she assumed a man's name.
Gauss formed a high opinion of the talented correspondent whom he
addressed in excellent French as ``Mr. Leblanc''.

Leblanc dropped her -- or his -- disguise when she was forced to
divulge her true name to Gauss on the occasion of her having done him
a good turn with the French infesting Hanover.  Writing on April 30,
1807, Gauss thanks his correspondent....

``But how describe to you my admiration and astonishment at seeing my
esteemed correspondent Mr. Leblanc metamorphose himself into this
illustrious personage [Sophia Germain] who gives such a brilliant
example of what I would find it difficult to believe.  A taste for the
abstract sciences in general and above all the mysteries of numbers is
excessively rare: one is not astonished at it; the enchanting charms
of this sublime science reveal themselves only to those who have the
courage to go deeply into it.  But when a person of the sex which,
according to our customs and prejudices, must encounter infinitely
more difficulties than men to familiarize herself with these thorny
reseraches, succeeds nevertheless in surmounting these obstacles and
penetrating the most obscure parts of them, then without doubt she
must have the noblest courage, quite extraordinary talents and a
superior genius....''  He then goes on to discuss mathematics with
her.