[comp.society.women] programming in Japan

welty@algol.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (05/10/89)

The New York Times article on women and computing made one passing
remark about the number of women programmers in Japan, and gave
the impression that women had better opportunities in computing
there.  I suspect that the author of the article misunderstood
Japanese society.

You see, i've heard tell of an incident where the japanese
executive in charge of a US/Japan joint effort in robotic
control publicly and comtemptuously dismissed programming
as `women's work', suggesting that programming as a profession
is held in fairly low esteem in Japan.

just a little food for thought,
   richard
--
richard welty               welty@algol.crd.ge.com
518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (05/10/89)

In article <6971@ecsvax.UUCP> welty@algol.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
>The New York Times article on women and computing made one passing
>remark about the number of women programmers in Japan, and gave
>the impression that women had better opportunities in computing
>there.  I suspect that the author of the article misunderstood
>Japanese society.
>
>You see, i've heard tell of an incident where the japanese
>executive in charge of a US/Japan joint effort in robotic
>control publicly and comtemptuously dismissed programming
>as `women's work', suggesting that programming as a profession
>is held in fairly low esteem in Japan.

While I have not heard any comment on the latter point from people I know who
have visited Japanese software organizations, I have heard about the former:
the opportunities in software.  People mention seeing few, if any, women in
the major software firms in Japan -- perhaps NONE in any level of management.

But one point needs to be made first is that, according to people from the
Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers, there is a rather strict hierarchy
of business organizations in Japan with the government on top, followed by the
major (traditional) big companies, followed by the big company subsidiaries and
foreign companies, followed by the next level of subdidiaries, followed by the
venture firms.  Organizations do NOT do business, directly, with anyone not
adjacent to them in the hierarchy.

Thus, maybe there are more women at the lower levels of the hierarchy in the
venture or lower subsidiaries.  But esteem at those levels for ANY industry
may be lower than for the same industry at the major corporation level.

I have heard this all from several people who have visited, and lived in, Japan
and, as such, would take it more seriously than a "passing remark" in the Times
or the statement of one hardware person (even if they are Japanese).  In the
latter case, since it is joint work, it may be at a lower level fo the busi-
ness ladder already than the situations I am noting.  Hence, if they are doing
business with the very lowest levels of the hierarchy, it may be more populated
with women there.

I think it would be important to hear from more sources about this before mak-
ing any decisions about women's opportunities in Japan vs the US.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   201-463-3683 (h))