[comp.society.women] On our own terms

eliz@cs.rochester.edu (05/09/89)

	From: moe!jeremy@ppgbms (Jeremy Levine)
	Subject: Women competing with men
	Date: 8 May 89 19:02:24 GMT

	>>In the 13th April 1989 edition of "Computing", there is an interview
	>>with Cally Ware, a product manager with the systems house Hoskyns.
	>>An excerpt:-
	>>
	>>"What advice would she give to young women determined to make the most
	>>of a career in ... computing?
	>>"'Enjoy being a woman and don't compete with men on their own terms.'"
	>>Would 	readers agree or disagree?

	I think it's trash, "... own terms .." what is this ?? I like to think that

I'm a holdout for competing On Our Own Terms.
My first reading of Ware was that she was saying "don't compete" to women.
This isn't really what she's saying, though.  For women to compete on our
own terms is to not blindly accept the standards of success that have
been used in the past, which make no reference to special values or skills
we may have after being raised as women in this culture.  A very simple
example might be that, where traditionally the most successful manager
might be the one whose group writes the most code, the most successful
on traditionally feminine terms might be slightly less productive but
have a very pleasant interpersonal environment.   (In fact I choose my jobs
using this criterion.) A woman who values relationships
but thinks that to succeed she has to be the biggest kickass SOB is
going to experience great internal conflict.  And there is no reason
why we should compromise ourselves like that.

Personally, I am uncomfortable competing because I empathize with the
loser when I win.   People who play competitive sports learn to manage
this feeling in the arena at least, and both women and men can learn to.
But I refuse to accept any claim that empathising with my less succesful
colleagues in unprofessional.  (At the moment I am competing for jobs
with some very good friends.)

Some other traditionally feminine values that have a place in the workplace:

problem-solving by consensus: not just the loudest person gets heard
appearance of the product: are all the details working? is the color nice?
			is it friendly?
the ability to do several things at once, juggle several projects
legitimacy of non-work relationships like family commitments that might
		call for some flexibility in scheduling  (gee, men want
		paternity leave all of a sudden.  why is that?)
respecting the natural environment & cleaning up after yourself
being able to spell, use grammar, type
being able to express your feelings and show an appropriate affect in
		situations -- (candidates are allowed to cry about election
		results now, did you notice? how about farewell parties?)

These issues are all very relevant to the computing profession --
you can figure out the details.  Let's just say that if no one can
listen to clients, it doesn't matter how many stud coders the company
has.  Sure, there are women stud coders.  But there are other ways to
succeed.

Elizabeth

Arpa:	eliz@cs.rochester.edu (Elizabeth Hinkelman)
UUCP:	...{rocksvax|allegra|decvax}!rochester!eliz
USnail:	Department of Computer Science, U. of Rochester, N.Y. 14627
phone:	(716) 275 - 2527 (office)

hunt@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (Francie Hunt) (05/10/89)

In article <6970@ecsvax.UUCP> eliz@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>I'm a holdout for competing On Our Own Terms.
>My first reading of Ware was that she was saying "don't compete" to women.
>This isn't really what she's saying, though.  For women to compete on our
>own terms is to not blindly accept the standards of success that have
>been used in the past, which make no reference to special values or skills
>we may have after being raised as women in this culture.

Years ago, I would have thought that any differences between men and women
should be ignored and that we would all compete on the same footing.  The
problem with this is that the rules of the game have evolved over the years
and have a decidedly male bias to them.  Add to that the fact that we all
have a different set of social baggage we were brought up with, and it turns
out that many of the valuable contributions that women make are unrecognized
in the current acknowledgment/reward structure.  Rather than turn ourselves
into male-clones, and suppressing some of our qualities, we should fight for
the opportunity to have "our own terms" recognized as valid.

>Some other traditionally feminine values that have a place in the workplace:
>
>problem-solving by consensus: not just the loudest person gets heard

Now if only our faculty meetings would run under this concept! :-)  They
would be a lot shorter and more productive.

>legitimacy of non-work relationships like family commitments that might
>		call for some flexibility in scheduling  (gee, men want
>		paternity leave all of a sudden.  why is that?)

Isn't that interesting?  When women take maternity leave and/or need some
flexibility in their scheduling, it is seen as a burden.  When men start
asking for the same considerations, they are applauded.  If you think I
am being too harsh, look at how you would react to a man requiring a leave
after some kind of surgery.  It seems that people are much more sympathetic
in that case, than when a woman has gone through childbirth and needs
to heal.

>These issues are all very relevant to the computing profession --
>you can figure out the details.  Let's just say that if no one can
>listen to clients, it doesn't matter how many stud coders the company
>has.  Sure, there are women stud coders.  But there are other ways to
>succeed.

This is true in academic departments as well as industry.  You have to look
at the traditional model of academic "success" as embodied in the number
of publications, amount of research grants, etc.  A faculty member can
contribute to the education of students in many different ways, but only
a few are rewarded.  It's getting harder in computer science, because the
field is advancing so quickly.  In order to read enough of the literature
to keep up with the current work, and write results of your own work, and
teach classes, and supervise graduate students, and chase funding from
various agencies, not to mention all the administrative stuff that is
required, takes an inordinate amount of time, something that is a
precious commodity if you have young children at home.

On a happier note, I was finally recognized on my own terms this year.
I went through an incredible struggle during my tenure review, with both
positive and negative feedback along the way.  What saved the day was the
president of the university standing by his statement on the importance
of teaching and balancing my contribution in that area against my
adequate (but not stellar) research record.  I feel that my strongest
contributions to the university and our CS students have been in my
commitment to teaching, and am gratified to have been accepted for it.
Had a different administration been in place, I would have been out
pounding the pavement.

To sum up, (sorry this is so long), we have to get out of the mindset that
only certain qualities count for success.  When people try to mold them-
selves into something that they are not, we all suffer.

--
Francie Hunt
Associate Professor, Computer Engineering and Science

eileenp%pogo.wv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Eileen J. Phelan) (05/16/89)

In article <6970@ecsvax.UUCP> eliz@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>...I'm a holdout for competing On Our Own Terms.
>My first reading of Ware was that she was saying "don't compete" to women.
>This isn't really what she's saying, though.  For women to compete on our
>...example might be that, where traditionally the most successful manager
>might be the one whose group writes the most code, the most successful
>on traditionally feminine terms might be slightly less productive but
>have a very pleasant interpersonal environment.   (In fact I choose my jobs
>using this criterion.) A woman who values relationships

Okay, I have to say this.  I believe that the best group is the one that gets
the best results, the most results, AND is the greatest place to work.  I
think they go together.  I get upset when I hear someone say that the work
has to suffer for the sake of the interpersonal environment, because it just
isn't true.  In fact, I believe that knowing you have the best and most
results is very conducive to a happy group.  Yes, I have been in groups like
this.  Groups in which everyone would stay late if one person had work that
needed to be done.  Groups in which ALL the software released worked
according to spec.  Yes, it really did.  Happy groups, in which we all
by preference had lunch together regularly.

>Some other traditionally feminine values that have a place in the workplace:

I agree with these; if I include them the line counter won't let me post.

Eileen

mcgrath%paris.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Roland McGrath) (05/25/89)

In article <6970@ecsvax.UUCP> eliz@cs.rochester.edu writes:

   Some other traditionally feminine values that have a place in the workplace:

I don't see why these are feminine values.  I'm male, and all of these things
are important to me and things I try to do...

[There were several replies on these lines.  There is an important difference,
however, between "female" and "feminine."  "Female" is determined by biology;
"feminine" is a set of characteristics determinedy by culture.  So it is
pefectly possible for a man to be "feminine" and a woman to be "masculine."
Hence, to say something about masculinity is _not_ to say something
about men.  All this means that I think people are actually agreeing--
that the traditionally, stereotypically feminine approaches to life
could have good consequences in computers.  The question is whether or
not there is a "feminine" approach to computers, and, if so, what it
would be.  TR]

   These issues are all very relevant to the computing profession --
   you can figure out the details.  Let's just say that if no one can
   listen to clients, it doesn't matter how many stud coders the company
   has.  Sure, there are women stud coders.  But there are other ways to
   succeed.

There are also male programmers who are not `stud coders', even if they produce
code of equivalent (or better) quality than the `studs'.  In fact, the stud
coder is likely to produce worse code, because he probably has the machismo
complex of "it works and you can't figure out why, so I'm cool".

--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.