[comp.society.women] Injuries from mouse device

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (06/08/89)

My wife has developed a severe inflammation (tendosynovitis for sci.med)
of her thumb and wrist following a period of extensive work (approximately
12 hours per day for 7 days) with the Macintosh SE standard mouse.
The problem seems due primarily to pressure from the "hump" of the
left front corner of the mouse against the ball of the thumb,
and secondarily from her need to hold her wrist unsupported while
using the mouse (her hand is not long enough to rest the wrist on
the mouse pad).

This remains under treatment after approximately 2.5 months; it has
been splinted, placed in a cast, and yesterday was injected with
anti-inflammatory medications (repository corticosteroids again, sci.med
readers). She has been on oral anti-inflammatory drugs (naprosyn 500mg
bid) for approximately 6 weeks, which has helped considerably.

She has substituted a trackball (i.e., Kensington Turbo Mouse) for the
regular mouse, which enables her to work again.  There is still some
problem of pressure on the pad of the thumb, but, since the trackball
is operated with a finger rather than wrist movement, the stress is
much less.

I have several questions for the net:

   1.   I believe I have seen others mention their experience
        with hand and wrist problems from mouse use.  Could
        people please inform me if they have seen or experienced
        this, and the conditions which produced it?

   2.   What circumventions have people found which allowed them
        to continue Macintosh use?  Does anyone know a way to pad
        the Turbo Mouse to decrease stress?

   3.   Besides rest, immobilization, and oral and injectable
        anti-inflammatory drugs, has anyone had successful experience
        with treating this problem?

--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (06/20/89)

In article <7214@ecsvax.UUCP> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>My wife has developed a severe inflammation (tendosynovitis for sci.med)
>of her thumb and wrist following a period of extensive work (approximately
>12 hours per day for 7 days) with the Macintosh SE standard mouse.
>The problem seems due primarily to pressure from the "hump" of the
>left front corner of the mouse against the ball of the thumb,
>and secondarily from her need to hold her wrist unsupported while
>using the mouse (her hand is not long enough to rest the wrist on
>the mouse pad).

Hmm.  I don't think she should be resting her wrist on the mouse pad.  For
me, the most comfortable method of mousing is with my arm off the table,
hand falling over the mouse like a net.  This moves the stress away from
the hand and wrist.

Your wife might try this.  She could, for example, get a small pillow or
cushion for her forearm and elbow that makes it comfortable to have the
wrist and forearm above the mouse.

Or she could try other mice.  There are several different styles available.

--
(^;-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-;^)
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP

kent@husc6.harvard.edu (Kent Borg) (06/24/89)

In article <7214@ecsvax.UUCP> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>My wife has developed a severe inflammation (tendosynovitis for sci.med)
>of her thumb and wrist following a period of extensive work (approximately
>12 hours per day for 7 days) with the Macintosh SE standard mouse.
>The problem seems due primarily to pressure from the "hump" of the
>left front corner of the mouse against the ball of the thumb,
>and secondarily from her need to hold her wrist unsupported while
>using the mouse (her hand is not long enough to rest the wrist on
>the mouse pad).

Go into the Control Panel and click on the mouse icon.  Set the
tracking to ``Fast''.  This will make the little rodent (or trackball)
much more sensitive.  I never move my hand any more, I can get from
corner to corner with just finger movement.  (The faster you make a
gesture, the farther the pointer moves.)

Next, it should be possible to rest her wrist on some sort of pad.  The
computer cart I am using right now has ~5/8 inch high upholstered
strip along the front edge of the keyboard shelf.  What I don't yet
have here at work is a mouse pad.  I recommend one.  Makes the mouse
grab the pavement much better.

Yes, a trackball uses finger movements rather than wrist movements,
but since the mouse got fast tracking I don't move my wrist any more.
If she contimues to have problems, look closely at the `ergonomics' of
the situation and see what else might be physically adjusted.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent

russ%prism@gatech.edu (Russell Shackelford) (07/05/89)

In article <7271@ecsvax.UUCP>, lloyd!kent@husc6.harvard.edu (Kent Borg) writes:

> In article <7214@ecsvax.UUCP> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
> >My wife has developed a severe inflammation (tendosynovitis for sci.med)
> >of her thumb and wrist following a period of extensive work (approximately
> >12 hours per day for 7 days) with the Macintosh SE standard mouse.
> >The problem seems due primarily to pressure from the "hump" of the
> >left front corner of the mouse against the ball of the thumb,
> >and secondarily from her need to hold her wrist unsupported while
> >using the mouse (her hand is not long enough to rest the wrist on
> >the mouse pad).

I wish I had the source of this, but I don't:

I recently read that some mdeical researchers in Europe, Netherlands I think,
had done a study about this and similar phenomena.  They concluded that a
mouse is bad news for folks who are heavy users, and they recommended that
folks who use machines all day adjust their habits to emphasize the keyboard
BECAUSE it shares the load among more muscles, whereas the mouse puts all
the wear and tear on just a few and does so reliably.

This should come as
some news to "the rest of us":-).

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

swc@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (S.W. Cox CMP Staff) (07/05/89)

In article <7270@ecsvax.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:

>In article <7214@ecsvax.UUCP> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>>My wife has developed a severe inflammation (tendosynovitis for sci.med)
>>of her thumb and wrist following a period of extensive work (approximately
>>12 hours per day for 7 days) with the Macintosh SE standard mouse.
>
>Hmm.  I don't think she should be resting her wrist on the mouse pad.  For
>me, the most comfortable method of mousing is with my arm off the table,
>hand falling over the mouse like a net.  This moves the stress away from
>the hand and wrist.

I found that if you hold the 'tail' of the mouse between the tips of the
thumb and the second finger, pressing the button with the outstretched first,
then you can comfortably rest the whole of your hand on the pad/table.

If Apple are bringing out this new optical mouse it might be worth looking
into this possibility.

If the worst came to the worst and you could get you hands on another Mac
mouse incase it doesn't work - you could try filing the corner off the mouse
and/or sticking foam on it.

Steve.

P.S. Have you seen those joke furry mice covers for them - maybe if you
filled one with cotton wool or foam before putting it on the mouse it
may help.

ari@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (07/16/89)

I've more or less solved the problem of the mouse by working at a desk with a
draw[er]. I open the draw[er], and rest my forearm on its edge. This system also
alows me to keep a reference manual open in front of me, and even gives me
quick access to such things as calculators and pens. Occasionally, I put a
cushion in/on the draw[er]. The only remaining problem is the tiring of a
tendon and muscle in my arm, the muscle used to click the mouse button
(I've no idea what the muscle is called). In fact, I find the SE mouse much
more comfortable for this tiring.

I use a Mac plus with a standard mouse; you could also consider purchasing
a track-ball, such as the one made by Kensington (advertised in most
Macintosh magazines). Or, you could convince your wife to take more
frequent breaks.

Ari Halberstadt: ari@dartmouth.edu