[net.followup] Rep. Dornan should be allowed to emigrate

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (03/02/86)

In article <15717@rochester.UUCP> Nigel Goddard writes:
(referring to a comment by US Rep. Dornan complaining about Vladimir
Posner, a spokeswidget for the USSR who was given airtime by US
TV companies to comment on Reagan's speech):
>Dornan:   called Posner a "disloyal, betraying little Jew"
>	=> Dornan would like to be (is?) a functionary for the Third Reich.

Actually, when I heard this, I assumed that
	(1)  Posner is Jewish;
	(2)  Dornan is saying that anyone who is Jewish who can support the
		 USSR, (certainly a strongly anti-semitic country) is a
		 traitor to his own people.
Then again, maybe Dornan is just crazy:  he is from Jerry Brown country,
after all.

Certainly, Dornan's phrase is one which no politician ought to use if
he/she doesn't expect to get misunderstood (assuming that Nigel is
misunderstanding it at all).

Those who are interested in the background of this issue may want
to look at the latest collection of essays by William F. Buckley;
in it he has a discussion of why he doesn't like it when Posner
appears on Nightline.  (Buckley/Posner are certainly an amusing
team, whenever Koppel *does* manage to get them on the same show).
--
"Oh, yeah?  Well I survived CANCELLATION!  Can you SAY THE SAME?"
			-- The Badger

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (03/06/86)

> In article <15717@rochester.UUCP> Nigel Goddard writes:
> (referring to a comment by US Rep. Dornan complaining about Vladimir
> Posner, a spokeswidget for the USSR who was given airtime by US
> TV companies to comment on Reagan's speech):
>>Dornan:   called Posner a "disloyal, betraying little Jew"
>>	=> Dornan would like to be (is?) a functionary for the Third Reich.
>
> Actually, when I heard this, I assumed that
> 	(1)  Posner is Jewish;
> 	(2)  Dornan is saying that anyone who is Jewish who can support the
> 		 USSR, (certainly a strongly anti-semitic country) is a
> 		 traitor to his own people.
> Then again, maybe Dornan is just crazy:  he is from Jerry Brown country,
> after all.
>
> Certainly, Dornan's phrase is one which no politician ought to use if
> he/she doesn't expect to get misunderstood (assuming that Nigel is
> misunderstanding it at all).

I heard Dornan on a radio talk show the other night, and this analysis agrees
with what he says.  Dornan says that he has always been a strong supporter
of Israel strong critic of the Soviet Union's policies toward Jews.  He
apologized for his wording.  Some might question his sincerity, but he
convinced me that he didn't mean it the way it sounded.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff