[net.games.rogue] "missing" the amulet

steve@tellab3.UUCP (Steve Harpster) (08/15/84)

How is the amulet generated? In other words, if the amulet is on Level 25
and I fall through a trap door before I see it, am I SOL? Will it turn up
again later or do I just forget about winning and go for the gold? What if I
DO see it and fall through a trap door as I'm running for it?

Our machine is running version 5.3 if that makes a difference.
--
...ihnp4!tellab1!steve
Steve Harpster

ab3@pucc-h (Rich Kulawiec) (08/16/84)

	You'll find it on the next level...
--
---Rsk

UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

I like to drink and dance all night,
Comes to a fix, not afraid to fight,
You got that, right?

The amulet keeps appearing as you go deeper, so you cannot permanently
miss it.

davis@hplabs.UUCP (Jim Davis) (08/31/84)

>	From: gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>)
>	Newsgroups: net.games.rogue
>	Subject: Re: "missing" the amulet
>		The amulet keeps appearing as you go deeper,
>		so you cannot permanently miss it.

    That is only true in the newer rogues.
In rogue 3.6, 3.7 and JWD rogue you only get
to pick up one amulet.  Admittedly, it shows
up on every level from 26 on.  But once you pick
it up you don't get another.  It sure keeps one
from picking on Nymphs (a magic stealing monster
in rogues 5.2 and earlier) on the way up.  One
false step and it is a long way home.

    And finally, today's quiz question.  In rogues
3.6, 3.7, 5.2 and JWD rogues:

	Under what circumstances will cause
    a Violet Fungus to move?  How far will it
    move?
--
					 Jim Davis (James W Davis)
				{any_of_the_biggies} !hplabs!davis