[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Notes from ISO messaging standards group

NTIN36@gec-b.rutherford.ac.UK (Jim Craigie) (02/02/89)

     Date:    31 Jan 89 19:56 +0100
     From:    JPALME@se.qz.com
     Subject: Notes from ISO messaging standards group

     Work on the Message Store
     -------------------------
     The Message Store (a single user mailbox storage standard) which
     is part of MOTIS, had been out for letter ballot to member
     countries, and we went through the comments. This was mostly
     things which to me seemed like small details, but which other
     people thought were important and fundamental things, like
     changing the word "undefined" to "unspecified" (these words mean
     two very different things in the standards vocabularly).

This isn't anything to do with standards vocabulary. Perhaps unfortunately,
there is a value of EncodedInformationTypes called "undefined" and also
the possibility of no values being specified, in which case the
EncodedInformationType is "unspecified". See the CCITT X.400(84)
Implementor's Guide for further elaboration of these rather confusing
terms. The point at issue in the meeting was that DIS 10021-5 had said
"undefined" when it meant "unspecified".

                          Jim