[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Request for latest MOTIS drafts

NTIN36@gec-b.rutherford.ac.UK (Jim Craigie) (02/09/89)

     From:    Keith Lantz <lantz@com.olivetti.orc>
     Subject: Request for latest MOTIS drafts
     Date:    Mon, 06 Feb 89 14:28:04 -0800

     Could someone provide information re the availability (and dates) of the
     latest drafts of the MOTIS specs?  We seem to have a complete set of draft
     issued in November 1987, but presume there are more up-to-date ones.

     Thanks in advance.

     Keith A. Lantz                      Phone: (415) 496-6235
     Olivetti Research Center         Internet: lantz@orc.olivetti.com, or
     2882 Sand Hill Road, Suite 210        lantz%orc.uucp@{net.bio.net,unix.sri
     Menlo Park, CA 94025             UUCP: {ig,oli-stl,oliveb,sri-unix}!orc!la

The latest versions available today are the MOTIS DIS versions, dated
April 88. These should be obtainable from National Standards Bodies
(eg ANSI) - ask for DIS 10021 parts 1 to 7. That version includes all
changes agreed at the CCITT Study Group VII meeting (Geneva, March 88)
and the ISO Editing meeting (The Hague, April 88).|

However, the final version including all changes agreed as a result of
the DIS ballot is very near to being available. I don't have much more
work to do, but with other commitments and the time taken for copying
I guess that it will be March before this is available.

Although there have been a substantial number of changes since November 87
these have been correcting bugs - the Nov 87 version is sufficient if
you are interested in the functionality and it is really only implementors
who need to get the latest version.

For anyone who is really desperate to get hold of the DIS version, we
have five sets left but won't make any further copies - first five to ask
get them.

If anyone is implementing from the DIS version please let me know - I
am producing a change-barred version which is NOT recommended for
general reading (the combination of square brackets and struck-through
text takes some parsing!), but does highlight the changes from the DIS.

Both ISO and CCITT will eventually publish the respective organisation's
final text form and their copyright restrictions prevent illicit copies
being made. However, I believe that I can make copies of the joint text
without breaching copyright - I plan to produce it reduced to A5 size
and available at cost. I'll mail details of how to request copies to
the mhs-news lists when we've costed the printing.

                           Jim