[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Sydney m400 <-> uucp

ror@grassys.UUCP (Richard O' Rourke) (08/25/89)

I'm trying to set up a uucp/unix mail gateway to (now defunct)
Sydney Development's M400 mail system.  The administrators
manual (Nov. 1988, SDC-02122-00, the only manual I have on m400)
says that it can be done but points out:

"the administrator must know how to route such messages to the
proper MTA"

Chap 4 comes close to explaining how, but not quite.

The systems running M400 are a collection of 286 and 386 boxes
running Xenix and I want to communicate with an ESIX 386 system
with HDB, but without m400.  The m400 version claims to be 1.4.1.
A plus would be to set up the main m400 box as a nameserver
for the uucp site, but for now I'd be happy to have the M400 MTA
pass messages to certain usernames off to unix mail, (then on to uucp
if necessary), and incoming mail messages from rmail into M400. I
have no qualms about mixed addresses.  So on the ESIX system

mail m400sys!user@sys.domain.etc\C=CA

Where m400sys is running m400, would work.  Here, I at least need smail.
In the opposite direction, I want the m400 address:

my_username@m400sys.domain.etc\C=CA

To end up in my unix mailbox.  It can end up in a unix mailbox on
m400sys for all I care, because once Xenix mail gets it (or certainly
if I install smail) I can alias my_username to my_machine!my_username.

Anyone built this wheel?  Ideas?  Any former Sydney staff?  Anyone

--

Richard O'Rourke           (604)436-1995           ...uunet!mplex!grassys!ror
Grass Root Systems   4372 Garden Grove Drive   V5G 4G6   Burnaby, B.C. Canada

sl@wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (08/29/89)

> I'm trying to set up a uucp/unix mail gateway to (now defunct)
> Sydney Development's M400 mail system.  The administrators
> manual (Nov. 1988, SDC-02122-00, the only manual I have on m400)
> says that it can be done but points out:

Have you called the guys at Osiware? 433-3323 Ask for Ed Sadowski.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

rcc30@uts.amdahl.COM (Richard Croucher) (09/06/89)

In article <123@grassys.UUCP> ror@grassys.UUCP (Richard O' Rourke) writes:

>I'm trying to set up a uucp/unix mail gateway to (now defunct)
>Sydney Development's M400 mail system.  The administrators
>manual (Nov. 1988, SDC-02122-00, the only manual I have on m400)
>says that it can be done but points out:
>
>"the administrator must know how to route such messages to the
>proper MTA"
>
>Chap 4 comes close to explaining how, but not quite.
>
>The systems running M400 are a collection of 286 and 386 boxes
>running Xenix and I want to communicate with an ESIX 386 system
>with HDB, but without m400.  The m400 version claims to be 1.4.1.
>A plus would be to set up the main m400 box as a nameserver
>for the uucp site, but for now I'd be happy to have the M400 MTA
>pass messages to certain usernames off to unix mail, (then on to uucp
>if necessary), and incoming mail messages from rmail into M400. I
>have no qualms about mixed addresses.  So on the ESIX system
>
>mail m400sys!user@sys.domain.etc\C=CA
>
>Where m400sys is running m400, would work.  Here, I at least need smail.
>In the opposite direction, I want the m400 address:
>
>my_username@m400sys.domain.etc\C=CA
>
>To end up in my unix mailbox.  It can end up in a unix mailbox on
>m400sys for all I care, because once Xenix mail gets it (or certainly
>if I install smail) I can alias my_username to my_machine!my_username.
>
>Anyone built this wheel?  Ideas?  Any former Sydney staff?  Anyone
>>from ean?
>
>--
>
>Richard O'Rourke           (604)436-1995           ...uunet!mplex!grassys!ror
>Grass Root Systems   4372 Garden Grove Drive   V5G 4G6   Burnaby, B.C. Canada

After the fallout from the collapse of Sydney, a new company emerged
called OSIWARE formed by many of the Sydney staff who can provide
support and development of the m400 products.
They can be contacted at +44 344 863430 in the UK.  They still have
an office in Canada but I do not know its number.
With regard to the particular query.
They used to provide (optionally) an RFC822 gateway, which would
provide exactly the kind of facility you require.  But, I guess
>from the questions this is not installed.
My suggestion would be to check whether this can be obtained.
Otherwise, a shell script could be written to pull X.400 mail and redirect
it to a UUCP server.
The NUA used does not parse, it should be of the form:-
      user\@subdomainlist.PRMD/C=country/ADMD=admin

dunc@ean.ubc.ca ("Duncan Stickings ", OSIWare) (09/08/89)

In article <19.V023553ri01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rcc30@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Richard Croucher) writes:

>In article <123@grassys.UUCP> ror@grassys.UUCP (Richard O' Rourke) writes:
>>
>>Anyone built this wheel?  Ideas?  Any former Sydney staff?  Anyone
>>>from ean?
>
>After the fallout from the collapse of Sydney, a new company emerged
>called OSIWARE formed by many of the Sydney staff who can provide
>support and development of the m400 products.
>They can be contacted at +44 344 863430 in the UK.  They still have
>an office in Canada but I do not know its number.
>With regard to the particular query.
>They used to provide (optionally) an RFC822 gateway, which would
>provide exactly the kind of facility you require.  But, I guess
>>from the questions this is not installed.
>My suggestion would be to check whether this can be obtained.
>Otherwise, a shell script could be written to pull X.400 mail and redirect
>it to a UUCP server.
>The NUA used does not parse, it should be of the form:-
>      user\@subdomainlist.PRMD/C=country/ADMD=admin

I work for OSIWare (and formally Sydney). The address in Canada is:

OSIWare Inc.
4370 Dominion Street, Suite 200
Burnaby, B.C.
Canada V5G 4L7
Tel: +1-604-436-2922
Fax: +1-604-436-3192

BTW we do have the RFC822 gateway.

Duncan Stickings <Dunc@ean.ubc.ca>
OSIWare/EAN X.500 Project
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.iso.x400
Subject: Re: Sydney m400 <-> uucp
In article <19.V023553ri01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rcc30@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Richard Croucher) writes:

>In article <123@grassys.UUCP> ror@grassys.UUCP (Richard O' Rourke) writes:
>>
>>Anyone built this wheel?  Ideas?  Any former Sydney staff?  Anyone
>>>from ean?
>
>After the fallout from the collapse of Sydney, a new company emerged
>called OSIWARE formed by many of the Sydney staff who can provide
>support and development of the m400 products.
>They can be contacted at +44 344 863430 in the UK.  They still have
>an office in Canada but I do not know its number.
>With regard to the particular query.
>They used to provide (optionally) an RFC822 gateway, which would
>provide exactly the kind of facility you require.  But, I guess
>>from the questions this is not installed.
>My suggestion would be to check whether this can be obtained.
>Otherwise, a shell script could be written to pull X.400 mail and redirect
>it to a UUCP server.
>The NUA used does not parse, it should be of the form:-
>      user\@subdomainlist.PRMD/C=country/ADMD=admin

I work for OSIWare (and formally Sydney). The address in Canada is:

OSIWare Inc.
4370 Dominion Street, Suite 200
Burnaby, B.C.
Canada V5G 4L7