[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Concise formats, etc....

PETERSEN@VUCTRVAX.BITNET (10/19/89)

> From: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@mirsa.inria.fr>
> Subject: Re: concise format
>
> But, if you really want a "string" format that can be understoud by all
> (well, a large number of) interfaces, then RFC-822 is the obvious candidate.

    I'm sorry, but *that* is a truly chilling thought!  Personally, I would
prefer something like the 'Concise' format that Jacob proposed.

    It is visually appealing and perhaps more intuitive to have the parts
of the ORName ordered from most specific through least specific
(i.e.  /Country/.../Surname/Given-name/).  It might also be nice to be able
to quote parts of this string (i.e. /"St. John"/ rather than /St. John/).

    In an admittedly DEC-inspired suggestion, one might allow the positions
of any (or all) of the fields to be moved by putting them in a non-positional
syntax (i.e./GIVEN=Christopher/COMPANY=Vanderbilt/COUNTRY=USA/SURNAME=Petersen/)
or some such construction of your choice...

    Just thought I'd throw in my two cents...

-Chris Petersen
 Vanderbilt University Computer Center
 Petersen@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.EDU
 Petersen@vuctrvax.BITnet

Disclaimer:  I am only an innocent bystander!