[comp.protocols.iso.x400] P7/P3 1988 X.400 related questions.

galvin@TIS.COM (James M Galvin) (10/23/89)

Would someone like to answer this?

------- Forwarded Message

Sender:   iso-relay@NIC.DDN.MIL
From:     zephyr.ens.tek.com!tektronix!sequent!arunm@uunet.uu.net  (Arun Mahesh
	  wari)
To:       iso@NIC.DDN.MIL
Date:     19 Oct 89 20:16:05 GMT
Subject:  P7/P3 1988 X.400 related questions.

I had trouble sending this the first time, so it may be replicated.
Sorry about this.

I don't have access to the 1988 X.400 MHS standards, and I need a
clarification wrt to P7 fetch operation.

The Omnicom course material for 1988 X.400 that I have says the following:
	If the fetch operation is performed successfully, the MS sends to
	the UA a ReturnResult APDU with the invoke identifier value from the
	Invoke (fetch) APDU, and a set containing the message as the return
	result.

My question: Is the message returned a P2 PDU? My current thinking is yes.
	     If not, what is it?

	     Is a message submitted by the remote UA also a P2 PDU?

My interest comes from trying to make sure that an arbitrary UA on a remote
m/c, e.g., a PC, that implements P7 based on X.400 standards can talk with an
MS/MTA that also implements P7 based on X.400 standards.

Also, in case MS is remote from the MTA - Is the message submitted by MS to MTA
or delivered to MS to MTA a P2 PDU?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

------- End of Forwarded Message

Christian.Huitema@MIRSA.INRIA.FR (Christian Huitema) (10/23/89)

The question was: Is the message returned (by a P7 message store) a P2 PDU?

I had the same problem reading the standard. Within P7, the notion of
P2 ``PDU'' seems to disappear, to be replaced by a notion of
``attribute set''. The message is described as a set of attributes, and
the fetch operation yelds the designated subset. One of the
``standard'' attributes, however, is the ``message content'', which
should be an octet string encoding a P2 PDU if the content type says so...