[comp.protocols.iso.x400] finding an X.400 feed

cyliax@bank.ecn.purdue.EDU (Ingo Cyliax) (02/23/90)

I'm interested in finding out more about X.400 and have some questions
regarding X.400 in the U.S..

	1. where would one be able to find a X.400 feed (ADMD or PRMD) in
	   the U.S.?
	2. what agency/group decides on X.400 addressing in the U.S.? what
	   addressing schemes exist ?
	3. is that agency/group also responsible for deciding on who
	   can become an ADMD in the U.S. ? since the U.S. doesn't
	   have a PTT, can I assume that there are more than one ADMD's
	   in the U.S. ?
	4. what are some of the ADMD's in the U.S. ? how do they interconnect
	   with ADMD's in other countries ? do any of them internetwork with
	   other message services, such as the Internet ?
	5. has any of the ADMD's in the U.S. already committed themselves to
	   the X.400 (88) standard ?

If anyone can send me some info by E-Mail, I could summarize them on the
net.

Thanks, -ingo

/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *
 *          ing@cc.purdue.edu    Work: (317) 494-9523                       *
 *         cyliax@pur-ee.UUCP    Home: (317) 474-0031                       */

mmarsh@ciss.dayton.ncr.COM ("Mel.Marsh@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM") (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb21.140951.15593@bank.ecn.purdue.edu> Ingo Cyliax <cyliax@bank.ecn.purdue.EDU> writes:
>I'm interested in finding out more about X.400 and have some questions
>regarding X.400 in the U.S..
>
>	1. where would one be able to find a X.400 feed (ADMD or PRMD) in
>	   the U.S.?
Most of the major public mail providers (Telenet's Telemail, MCI Mail, etc)
have announced availability of or plans for X.400 capability.  This
provides the ADMD capability.  PRMD is used when a company has its own
private mail network.

>	2. what agency/group decides on X.400 addressing in the U.S.? what
>	   addressing schemes exist ?
The X.400 standard provides the addressing formats.  As far as actual
address contents, there is currently no agency that has responsibility for
this.

>	3. is that agency/group also responsible for deciding on who
>	   can become an ADMD in the U.S. ? since the U.S. doesn't
>	   have a PTT, can I assume that there are more than one ADMD's
>	   in the U.S. ?
There are and will be several ADMDs.  Fortunately for the users, the ADMDs
are beginning to work together so they can exchange mail.  That means that
if you use MCIMail and your buddy uses Telemail, you can still talk to each
other (or will be able to)

>	4. what are some of the ADMD's in the U.S. ? how do they interconnect
I have used 2 as examples.  Rather than try to make a comprehensive list
and then leave some out I recommend you contact the Electronic Mail
Association, 1555 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 555, Arlington, VA 22209-2405 to
get specific information.

>	   with ADMD's in other countries ? do any of them internetwork with
>	   other message services, such as the Internet ?
You'll have to check with each mail provider to see what connections  they
have with other providers in the US and outside of the US.

>	5. has any of the ADMD's in the U.S. already committed themselves to
>	   the X.400 (88) standard ?

Committed - yes.  Done something - check with the providers.

--
Mel Marsh
NCR Corporation, Network Application Services

karl@cis.ohio-state.EDU (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/02/90)

mmarsh@ciss.dayton.ncr.COM writes:
   ...Rather than try to make a comprehensive list
   and then leave some out I recommend you contact the Electronic Mail
   Association, 1555 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 555, Arlington, VA 22209-2405 to
   get specific information.

I don't suppose that the Electronic Mail Association is, um,
email-accessible for such information?

--karl

Stef@nrtc.northrop.COM (Einar Stefferud) (03/02/90)

Yes,  EMA has an MCIMAIL address:

	"Electronic Mail Association" <0002544290@mcimail.com>

>To: comp-protocols-iso-x400@cis.ohio-state.edu
>From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@cis.ohio-state.edu>
>Subject: Re: finding an X.400 feed
>Date: 28 Feb 90 14:04:08 GMT

>mmarsh@ciss.dayton.ncr.COM writes:
>   ...Rather than try to make a comprehensive list
>   and then leave some out I recommend you contact the Electronic Mail
>   Association, 1555 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 555, Arlington, VA 22209-2405 to
>   get specific information.
>
>I don't suppose that the Electronic Mail Association is, um,
>email-accessible for such information?   --karl

0002544290@mcimail.COM (Electronic Mail Association) (03/04/90)

STEF/KARL --

Thanks.  Sorry for the delay in getting back to
you.  We're just back from quite an interesting
few days in Florida where we held a joint meeting
with the European Electronic Mail Association.

Mel Marsh was a prominent speaker and participant
in the meeting, Karl, by the way.  Other excellent
contributions were made by Marshall Rose, Steve
Wolff, Leon Hendriks of the Dutch PTT, and Gabriel
Barta of the European EDIFICE users group, among
others.

What can we help you with?

	-- MIKE CAVANAGH

fair@apple.COM ("Erik E. Fair") (03/06/90)

In the referenced article, karl@cis.ohio-state.EDU (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
	I don't suppose that the Electronic Mail Association is, um,
	email-accessible for such information?

Karl, it's not nice to ask obviously embarassing questions like this.

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com