[comp.protocols.iso.x400] sugestion for MS thesis solicited

LIANE%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (07/10/90)

One of my students is just about to start his master degree dissertation on a
computer science program. He has been working on our local MHS implementation
and have experience with the design/implementtaion of the MTA. We considered
that a possible topic for his dissertation could focus on an expert system to
help the routing of the messages (selecting the best route or the least
expensive  way to send a message, for instance).

Could some of you provide some feedback/new ideas/other suggestions about the
topic selected/other topics to be considered?

Thanks in advance

Liane Tarouco
University Federal of Rio Grande do Sul
Institut of Informatics
Porto Alegre - RR - Brazil

kit@gateway.mitre.ORG (07/12/90)

Dear Liane Tarouco,

There are several interesting real-world issues concerning routing
for MHS implementations.  I would be very interested in any
results of a study or paper in this area.

I am working on a project for the Department of Defense (US) on
some messaging systems and upgrades of existing non-X.400 networks.
One major routing issue relates to whether an MTA may route a
message directly to the recipient or whether the MTA has to route
the message via a gateway or conversion system.
This would be applicable to the world in general, such as in cases
where some MTAs perform conversion (e.g., between IA5Text, Telex,
Fax, Teletex, etc.), and so the MTAs have to do routing to the MTAs
that support the conversion.

The example from my project is that there are some User Agents (UAs)
that support the Secure Data Network Service (SDNS) Message
Security Protocol (MSP) [which uses a double-enveloping of the
P2 or P22 or other content into a new content type of P48],
and other UAs that do not support MSP.
The issue is that if the same MTA supports both UAs, the MTA
needs to know whether it can route the message directly to a UA
or route it to a conversion/gateway facility.  The MTA may touch
the message twice, and needs to route it differently the two
times, and not think that there is a routing loop.  A specific
example is that a UA sends a non-msp message to the MTA,
the MTA routes it to the MSP gateway, the gateway does the
conversion and sends it back to the MTA, and then the MTA
routes it to the destination UA.
There also is a question about whether the resulting delivery
notice routes via the gateway or whether it goes directly to the
originating UA.  (Since it may be a special MSP-encoded DN, it
may have to go through the MSP Gateway.)
The only solution I see (if we are using Commercial Off-The-Shelf
MTAs) is to divide the network into two sub-networks, where one
sub-network is for the UAs that support MSP and the other is for
those that do not; but then you need separate MTAs in the two
sub-nets, which people are unhappy about.

Another general issue is the extent to which a generalized X.500
directory service may be used by MTAs to perform routing.  X.500
information is address information that is descriptive of the
user or user agent or other entity.  The information returned from
the directory query is independent of the location of the requestor.
Therefore, while address information can be returned that describes
the location of the destination, it cannot contain next-hop
routing info.  The issue here is that I am not aware of standardized
addressing info that would be consistently used by different
MTAs for routing.  (Note that the MTAs probably need separate tables
that indicate next-hop routing from the address info returned from
the directory.)

There are other miscellaneous issues:

Blank ADMD name:  Where in X.400 ORAddress the Country and PRMD
(or organization) are present, but the ADMD (which is a mandatory
field) contains a value of a single blank character.  This means
that the ORAddress identifies a user who is not affiliated with
a particular ADMD.  ADMDs need to know how to route to these users
(without the ORAddress telling them which ADMD supports the user).
The Delivery Notice may route back via a different ADMD than the
one that handled the message.
This may especially be an issue if PRMD or Organization names
are not nationally unique.

Multinational organizations:  For large corporations or international
organizations (e.g., NATO), how is addressing/routing to be
supported, since all addresses require country fields.
If a US representative to NATO is stationed in Belgium (for example),
what country is used, and how is routing done?
Also, there is the issue of least-cost routing and shortest-path routing.
If a large organization has several connections to an ADMD (such as
on the east coast and the west coast in the USA), can the ADMD route to
the correct connection to achieve the shortest path?  Or might a message
that originates in the ADMD on the East coast get sent via the connection
on the west coast, even though the recipient is located in the east
(i.e., the sender and receiver are both on the east coast, but the message
was routed via the west coast.).

Addressing: You cannot totally separate routing and addressing, since
one impacts the other. Using a different PRMD name for each MTA (or
a different Organization or Org Units name) is user-unfriendly, since
then the user addressing is tied into the topology of the network.
If the topology changes, the user address changes.
Other addressing issues relate to the fact that some X.400 implementations
use Domain Defined Attributes (DDAs) to convey additional addressing
information, which may be used for routing.

National restricions: I heard that some countries do not allow
encrypted messages to be passed, which may affect routing.  Also,
some national X.400 dialects may not be routed outside the
country (e.g., Japan uses Kanji character set in the X.400 ORAddress,
which violates the PrintableString definition, for Japan domestic users).

Avoiding 1984 MTAs:  If the two end-system MTAs and UAs are
based upon 1988 X.400, but there are intermediate systems which
are based upon 1984 X.400, the 1988 MTAs may want to route in a
way to avoid the 1984 MTAs, so that the 1988 X.400 extensions are
not discarded.

Preferred means of delivery: The directory (or other entry)
description may indicate the preferred means of delivery for
a recipient user (e.g., mail box, fax, telex, teletex,
postal delivery), so the MTA may need to route the message
differently based upon this.

Also, alternate recipient, redirection, deferred delivery,
Distribution List use or expansion, grade of delivery,
may all tie in with routing.  Also, routing may dynamically
change based upon what connections are inoperative or overloaded.
Also, small messages may be routed one way, while large messages
may be sent via high-bandwidth connections (e.g., satellite, which
has a delay time but high throughput), or large but low-priority
messages may be deferred until off-peak times.

Kit Lueder,
MITRE Corporation.

(I am repeating the message to which I am responding, below.)

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 09:01 C
From: LIANE%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu
Subject: sugestion for MS thesis solicited

One of my students is just about to start his master degree dissertation on a
computer science program. He has been working on our local MHS implementation
and have experience with the design/implementtaion of the MTA. We considered
that a possible topic for his dissertation could focus on an expert system to
help the routing of the messages (selecting the best route or the least
expensive  way to send a message, for instance).

Could some of you provide some feedback/new ideas/other suggestions about the
topic selected/other topics to be considered?

Thanks in advance

Liane Tarouco
University Federal of Rio Grande do Sul
Institut of Informatics
Porto Alegre - RR - Brazil

Stef@nrtc.northrop.COM (Einar Stefferud) (07/12/90)

Hello Liane -- I suspect that you are looking for a more general toic
thatn the ones identified by Kit Leuder, so here are some other
observations.

First, it is clear from looking at the overall routing question that a
realy useful MTA is going to have to be much more sophiticated than most
of the current crop which like to only route on a subset of the standard
attributes of ORAddresses, and whcih act like it is a sin to pay any
attention to a DDA.

The bottom line is that the winning implementation is going to have to
pay full attention to all the relevant facotrs in routing and allow for
very sophisticated rules to be tabled and applied.  Every available
per-user attribute with a value should be legitimately used to form keys
to routing tables.  For example (as Kit mentioned) conversion is a
factor and so conversion (requested/prohibited/etc) information in P1
must be usefully employed.  So must DDA values and anything else.

It is likely that accouting (billing) information should be considered,
else a PRMD operator will have no way to engage in what I call "Bill
Control" in whych the PRMD operator sets routing tables to minimize the
bills for transferring mail.

Also, it is legitimate for multinatrional organizations (NATO comes t
mind) will want to form Relaying PRMDs to transfer mail among unitns in
different countries without handing mail over to an ADMD, so they will
have to route on non-ADMD attriburtes, regardless of what ADMD names in
in an ORaddress.

So, I simply suggest that your student take as a project the effort to
collect all the relevant attributes and values from P1 envelopes and
develop ways to use expert system rules to deduce routes from what I
would call "complex routing keys" that would be made up of an enriched
set of ORAddress attributes and values.

The project should also work on ways to cache routes that have been
deduced in such a way as to speed recognition of repeated complex keys,
and extraction of the resulting route determinations.

Cheers...\Stef