[comp.protocols.iso.x400] ISO conferencing?

bob@morningstar.COM (Bob Sutterfield) (07/18/90)

(I asked on the general ISO group last week and drew only silence, so
perhaps the X.400 groups would be more appropriate.  I'm relatively
new to ISO stuff, and perhaps this is an old topic.  If so, please
forgive me and help me come up-to-date!)

RFC822 is to RFC1036 as X.400 is to ???

 (or, alternatively phrased,)

mail is to news as MHS IPM is to ???

I see in the Blue Book X.400/7.4 that "One MS [Message Store] acts on
behalf of only one user (one O/R address), i.e. it does not provide a
common or shared MS capability to several users."  In X.400/14
(Distribution Lists in MHS) and in X.402/7.1.3 it appears, by omission
of other possibilities, as if all conferences will use (possibly
nested) distribution lists.  Or does the "delivery to UAs" function in
Figure 14/X.400 allow for common MS access?

X.400/15.4 "MHS Security Capabilities" include several that seem
problematic for news - particularly proof of delivery, flow
confidentiality, and message sequence integrity, which raise
architectural issues with news' flood transport algorithm.  The other
authentication, content confidentiality, and content integrity matters
are at least workable.  MT (Message Transfer service) non-delivery
indication seems like something to avoid in a news-like environment,
given the rampant fluidity of news transport connectivity.

I note with some relief that the language of X.402/7.1.3 leaves room:
"...a user can convey information objects to pre-specified groups of
users...".  I would interpret that inclusively, with the "specified
group" meaning a distributed flood-based non-presubscribed conference
as well.  But X.402/7.2.3 says that "Each MS is associated with one
UA".  I'm not familiar enough with the language and conventions of the
Red and Blue Books to know where to look next, or even to be sure I've
found what I'm looking for.

Should I look more closely at X.402, X.411, X.413, or somewhere else
that distributed conferencing issues have been considered?  Has
ISO/CCITT arrived at an alternative to the current news technology, or
will the ISO world run on the moral equivalent of the distribution
lists that have been largely discarded in the Internet world?  Any
pointers are appreciated.

harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (07/18/90)

In <BOB.90Jul17140758@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, Bob writes:

> X.400/15.4 "MHS Security Capabilities" include several that seem
> problematic for news - particularly proof of delivery, flow
> confidentiality, and message sequence integrity, which raise
> architectural issues with news' flood transport algorithm.  The other
> authentication, content confidentiality, and content integrity matters
> are at least workable.  MT (Message Transfer service) non-delivery
> indication seems like something to avoid in a news-like environment,
> given the rampant fluidity of news transport connectivity.

As a general hint:
I think that people reading X.400/88 think "Do I have to implement all this?"
The answer is NO.
What should be implemented (IMHO) is the ability to reject messages if they
have used an extension that the currently receiving mailbox does not support.

So, X.400/88 implementations should really only support what is required for
the applicatons that they will support. An X.400 based route into the
"OSI news service" would have little reason to support
proof-of-delivery, if the model is such that "delivery" in X.40 terms
occurs at the reader's site, and not at the X.400-to-"OSI news"
interface. So any message asking for proof-of-delivery and saying that
this is critical for relay or delivery, should be rudely rejected.

So should ANY message asking for delivery notification, for that instance.
(except for "checkgroups equivalents????")
10.000 delivery notifications will increase network load appreciably.
Good luck to you!

                     Harald Tveit Alvestrand

tim@piglet.planet.bt.co.uk (Tim Maude,B81 G61,6734,) (07/19/90)

> (I asked on the general ISO group last week and drew only silence, so
> perhaps the X.400 groups would be more appropriate.  I'm relatively
> new to ISO stuff, and perhaps this is an old topic.  If so, please
> forgive me and help me come up-to-date!)
>
> RFC822 is to RFC1036 as X.400 is to ???
>
>  (or, alternatively phrased,)
>
> mail is to news as MHS IPM is to ???
>
> ..... more stuff

There is no real equivalent to the news in OSI yet. A bit of history...

In X.400 84 the only provision for one-to-many communication is to
address a message to a distribution list that you hold in your own
user agent. Many people thought that this was not good enough
(including me) and complained - suggesting alternatives. The one
alternative that got picked up (or rather added) in the 1988 X.400
was distribution lists.

The consept of the distribution list in 88 was that of a distribution
point which held the distribution list. You mail to that point and
it distributes on from there. These can be nested, so that one
distribution point can mail out to another and so one (with special
prototcols to avoid looping - thus making the 88 and 84 prototcols
subtely incompatible).

Now you can try and duplicate the news by means of 88 DLs (as they are
known). Clearly, the distribution list has to cover the whole world
and there has to be a separate DL for each newsgroup. Each message
sent to the newsgroup would have to be mailed to the root of the DL
first and then be expanded upon from there.

This mechanism is not the same as the news. I would like to put
out a request to those of you who understand the news protocols a
bit better than me (that won't be hard) to put out a simple explanation
of who it works - maybe we can draw up a list of differences.

In conclusion - the ISO world has not realised the benefits of the
news yet and so it has not investigated it.

Tim Maude  RT7431                        email: tim@planet.bt.co.uk
British Telecom Research Laboratories    phone: +44 473 646734
Martlesham Heath                         fax:   +44 473 642163
Ipswich   IP5 7RE    U.K.

ROTONDI%CSATA.IATIN.IT@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Domenico Rotondi) (07/25/90)

On Wed, 18 Jul 90 01:06:40 +0200 you said:
>(I asked on the general ISO group last week and drew only silence, so
>perhaps the X.400 groups would be more appropriate.  I'm relatively
>new to ISO stuff, and perhaps this is an old topic.  If so, please
>forgive me and help me come up-to-date!)
>
>RFC822 is to RFC1036 as X.400 is to ???
>
> (or, alternatively phrased,)
>
>mail is to news as MHS IPM is to ???

There is nothing ready at the moment. ISO (specifically SC18/WG4 Special
working group on MOTIS) is starting working on, what ISO calls, Group
Communication. At the moment there are only some very preliminary
working document listing, essencially, the set of functionalities this
new service will provide.
Also in the phase of defition is the exact scope the Group Communication
will cover (i.e. just providing Bulletin Boards functionalities or
also Computer Conferencing or also general functionalities to support
group work).

>I see in the Blue Book X.400/7.4 that "One MS [Message Store] acts on
>behalf of only one user (one O/R address), i.e. it does not provide a
>common or shared MS capability to several users."  In X.400/14

You're right, the MS is just a single-user mail repository. It has
nothing to do with supporting tools for DL or news.

>Should I look more closely at X.402, X.411, X.413, or somewhere else
>that distributed conferencing issues have been considered?  Has
>ISO/CCITT arrived at an alternative to the current news technology, or
>will the ISO world run on the moral equivalent of the distribution
>lists that have been largely discarded in the Internet world?  Any
>pointers are appreciated.

I hope I've answered to your questions. For the time being (or better
in the near future, when X.400-88 MTAs will appear) the only available
services will the the one based on DL.
We hope to have a rapid developement of the Group Communication standards
so that, also in the OSI world, could be used advanced communications
facilities.

Ciao
   Dom

---------------------------------
   Domenico Rotondi
   Tecnopolis - CSATA Novus Ortus
   Strada Provinciale per CASAMASSIMA Km.3
   70010 VALENZANO (BARI)
   ITALY
   Tel   +39-80-8770227 / 8770111
   Tlx            810371 TECPOL I
   Ttx      2221-818506 CSATABA I
   Fax   +39-80-651868 (CCITT G3)
   EARN        ROTONDI @ IBACSATA
         or    ROTONDI @ CSATA.IATIN.IT
         or    dom @ lapd.csata.iatin.it

JPALME@qz.qz.se (Jacob Palme QZ) (08/05/90)

There is no "usenet news"-type standard under OSI at present.
However, work is ongoing to produce such a standard. I am myself
very active in this work. If all goes well, we will have something
ready in 1992, when a new version of X.400 is to be finished.

kit@gateway.mitre.ORG (08/09/90)

It is possible to do group communications using an X.400 Message Store,
though it may require proprietary extensions to the implementation
(but not necessarily to the P7 protocol).
One reference is a paper submitted (from a university in Portugal or Spain)
titled "Group communication mailbox server accessible through a
standard mailbox client", 19 pages, a paper which I think is to be
presented at the IFIP MHS'90 conference.  If you are interested in more
about the conference, contact "stef@nrtc.northrop.com"  (Sorry, Stef,
I didn't check with you before publishing your net address here.)

Kit Lueder,
MITRE Corporation.