[comp.protocols.iso.x400] <None>

osa538b@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Alan Chee) (08/13/90)

In article <1360*harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no>, harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (Harald Tveit Alvestrand) writes:
> As a member of RARE WG1, which is more or less responsible for putting the
> format forward, I think I can state that the reason ; was chosen for a
> delimiter
> and not / was that / is a PrintableString character, while ; is not.
> This means that in order to use /, we have to define a quoting syntax, while
> using ; quotes would not be needed.

I must be missing something here.
 / and ; both *are printable* characters ( ASCII code 47 and 59 ).

I believe / has more visual contrast as opposed to ; that 'blends' with the
address string.

 Alan Chee,			   |	internet: alanC@VAXC.cc.monash.edu.au
 P.O. Box 413, World Trade Centre, |	X.25:  PSI%AUSTPAC.0505224122018::chee
 Melbourne, Vic. AUSTRALIA  3005   |    voice:	  +61 3 345 4717 (BH)