[comp.protocols.iso.x400] MHS documentation on-line ??

ALGOLD%LNCC2@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Alexandre Leib Grojsgold) (09/20/90)

People interested in getting MHS (and OSI) documentation should read an
interesting article by Carl Malamud, published in Data Communications
International, June 1990, vol 19, n. 7,  pp.- 29-30, called "Paying by
the inch for OSI documentation".

Some selected parts of this article:

"I've got some advice for anyone interested in obtaining documentations
for the Open System Interconnections: Bring your checkbook, it's not
cheap!. Be prepared to pay $1 or more a page, wich adds up to several thousand
dollars for a reasonably complete documentation for these critical standards"

"The big difference between TCP/IP and OSI is that the latter is copyrighted
by ISO, while TCP/IP is in the public domain"

"The universities are really the key. Students spend hours learning the intrica
cies of TCP/IP."

"... because of their cost, OSI documents are acquired only when absolutely
needed. The result (...) is that faculty and students (...) are woefully igno-
rant of ISO specifications and protocols."

Don't you believe that something should be done to change this situation ?

jdudeck@polyslo.calpoly.edu ("John R. Dudeck") (09/21/90)

In an article ALGOLD%LNCC2@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Alexandre Leib Grojsgold) wrote:
>"I've got some advice for anyone interested in obtaining documentations
>for the Open System Interconnections: Bring your checkbook, it's not
>cheap!. Be prepared to pay $1 or more a page, wich adds up to several thousand
                                       ^^^^^^^
>dollars for a reasonably complete documentation for these critical standards"

Shouldn't that be like $100/inch?  We just bought the X.400 Blue book,
which is about 1" thick, and cost almost $100.  It has 628 pages.  That comes
to more like $.15 a page.

>"... because of their cost, OSI documents are acquired only when absolutely
>needed. The result (...) is that faculty and students (...) are woefully igno-
>rant of ISO specifications and protocols."

I believe this is true.  It is impossible to find any ISO specs in our
university library.

>Don't you believe that something should be done to change this situation ?

Is there anything that CAN be done, short of getting the powers that be to
change their policies?  Doesn't copying constitute violation of copyright?

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."

vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US (09/21/90)

I rather doubt that much will be done to change the situation
regarding ISO and CCITT documentation - the organizations derive
considerable revenue from their copyrights and royalties.

Vint

enag@ifi.uio.no (09/22/90)

In article <26f93522.5fa1@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.calpoly.edu ("John R. Dudeck") writes:
   In an article ALGOLD%LNCC2@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Alexandre Leib Grojsgold) wrote:
   >"I've got some advice for anyone interested in obtaining documentations
   >for the Open System Interconnections: Bring your checkbook, it's not
   >cheap!. Be prepared to pay $1 or more a page, wich adds up to several thousand
					  ^^^^^^^
   >dollars for a reasonably complete documentation for these critical standards"

   Shouldn't that be like $100/inch?  We just bought the X.400 Blue
   book, which is about 1" thick, and cost almost $100.  It has 628
   pages.  That comes to more like $.15 a page.

Congratulations, you have just discovered the major difference between
ISO and CCITT versions of the same standard!  Now try to order ISO
10021, and see how much _that_ costs...

I have recommended that people buy the CCITT recommendations rather
than the ISO standards several times.  Some have pointed out that ISO
standards are wider in scope than CCITT recommendations, and that some
CCITT recommendations contains errors.  Both are true.  I did,
however, also order ODA, SGML, and numerous other standards from ISO,
and I have gotten Addenda to some of them, and by God, that's totally
horrible.  CCITT at least send you change pages, not a bloody diff
between what they botched up and what is true.

ISO 8824 (ASN.1) comes with an addendum, while X.208 is a complete
copy of both ISO 8824 and ISO 8824A1.  This is enough to want the
CCITT version, and that the entire X.200 series cost 1/8th of the ISO
8824/5 standards with addenda is just very nice. :-)

And, to answer the original question, no, you won't find ISO docs
on-line.  Unless you type it in and look at it afterwards, that is.
--
[Erik Naggum]		Naggum Software; Gaustadalleen 21; 0371 OSLO; NORWAY
	I disclaim,	<erik@naggum.uu.no>, <enag@ifi.uio.no>