[comp.protocols.iso.x400] X.400 solutions for PC's

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.COM (Jim Ray) (09/20/90)

Does anyone have any infomation on reasonably priced X.400 solutions
for PC's?  In particular, we have several European locations for our
company that would like to connect to a PUBLIC european network for
Email ( what does that mean exactly ? ).  We use SMTP and DEC mail extensively
in the states, but unfortunately the remote European sites do not wish to use
either.

I have not personally used X.400, and would like any comments concerning
this request.  Is Europe using X.400 extensively, and if so, how connected
is it.  What transport mechanism are they using?  Are they running the 84 or
88 version?  What is the breakdown in Europe as to uucp style mail and
internet ( SMTP ) vs X.400 use.

As you can tell, I am not to familiar with the X.400 issues.

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62B-022
Phone:     (407) 729-5059              Melbourne, FL  32901
--

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/21/90)

In a recent article jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.COM (Jim Ray) writes:

>Does anyone have any infomation on reasonably priced X.400 solutions
>for PC's?

Retix has PC- and Macintosh-based X.400 products with the name RetixMail.
Runs under Microsoft Windows on the PC.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

jdudeck%polyslo.CalPoly.EDU@usc.edu ("John R. Dudeck") (09/21/90)

In an article jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.COM (Jim Ray) wrote:
>Does anyone have any infomation on reasonably priced X.400 solutions
>for PC's?

This brings up my own situation, that of Master's degree candidate getting
ready to work on my project/thesis.  I am now to the point of having to
decide what I am going to do.  I am interested in possibly addressing this
area, perhaps including development of some software.

I too, am interested in hearing reactions on what still needs to be done
in PC Email solutions.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."

s28841w@saha.hut.fi (Matti Tapio Kaikkonen) (09/28/90)

Route400 from a company called NET-TEL in UK is a reasonable product.
It includes a -84 mta and ua. For X.25 connections you can use at least
EICON X.25 gateway (also a good product) and Symicron (I don't know anything).
The mta implementation runs in a DOS machine and is stable! UA has
everything you need.

Matti