[comp.protocols.iso.x400] X400 <-> SMTP Gateway

karl@syssup.tds.philips.nl (Karl Lovink) (09/27/90)

Hello Netlanders,

We are looking for a X400 <-> SMTP gateway which is transparent
for the end-user.
We need this product for one of our customers.
Can somebody supply me with information about such products.
In a week of two I will summerize all the answer I got.

Thanks in advance, and kind regards,

--
    ( )     Karl Lovink  Philips Information Systems, Netherlands
  } @ @ {   Department: Systems Support Optical Filing

pv@Eng.Sun.COM (Peter Vanderbilt) (09/27/90)

>  We are looking for a X400 <-> SMTP gateway which is transparent
>  for the end-user.
>  We need this product for one of our customers.
>  Can somebody supply me with information about such products.

Sun Microsystems has such a product, called SunNet MHS.

Pete

ms@relay.eu.NET (Marc Sheldon) (09/28/90)

karl@syssup.tds.philips.nl (Karl Lovink) writes:
>We are looking for a X400 <-> SMTP gateway which is transparent
>for the end-user.
>We need this product for one of our customers.
>Can somebody supply me with information about such products.
>In a week of two I will summerize all the answer I got.

Have a look at PP 5.0. It's available via anonymous ftp from
unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (129.217.64.60) in the
~ftp/pub/network/iso/isode directory and named pp-5.tar.Z.
You need ISODE 6.0 to run it.

Marc

Marc Sheldon                                e-mail : ms@Uni-Dortmund.DE
University of Dortmund, CS-Department
P.O.Box 500500                              voice  : +49 231 7552444
D-4600 Dortmund 50,  West Germany           FAX    : +49 231 7552386

shekhar@hpindda.cup.hp.COM (Shekhar Bhide) (09/29/90)

> karl@syssup.tds.philips.nl (Karl Lovink) / 11:14 am  Sep 26, 1990 /

> Hello Netlanders,

> We are looking for a X400 <-> SMTP gateway which is transparent
> for the end-user.
> We need this product for one of our customers.
> Can somebody supply me with information about such products.
> In a week of two I will summerize all the answer I got.

> Thanks in advance, and kind regards,

Hewlett-Packard has a product called X.400/9000 which is as a X400 <-> SMTP
gateway, product number is 32031A. Please e-mail me if you need more info..

#include <disclaimer.h>
Shekhar Bhide

Hewlett Packard
Information Networks Division, Mail Stop 43LS
Homestead Road, Cupertino, California, 95014-9974, US
X.400: C=US;AD=ATTMAIL;PD=HP;ORG=HP;OU1=HP6600;SN=Bhide;GN=Shekhar
Unix Mail: shekhar@hpindqc.cup.hp.com
Telephone:    US 408 447 2628           Fax:      US 408 447 3660
Voice Mail:   US 408 447 2628

harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no (10/01/90)

Two words of warning:

1) "Transparent to the users" is meaningless in this context.
   The best that you can ask for is "that does not give the user too
much pain".
2) Be VERY SURE to ask for conformance to RFC987 or RFC1148 before buying
   Also, be sure to have a source for the coordinated RFC987 tables before
   installing. Otherwise, connecting to the global Internet from the global
   (or European) X.400 network is a royal pain.

Since you are in the Netherlands, I suggest contacting your local RARE MHS
service contact before proceeding with procurement for such a gateway.
Contact point for the RARE MHS service:

mhs-project-team@rare.no
C=no;ADMD= ;PRMD=uninett;O=rare;S=mhs-project-team

                               Harald Tveit Alvestrand
                               RARE MHS project leader

pww@uunet.uu.NET (Peter Whittaker) (10/02/90)

In article <47920010@hpindda.cup.hp.com> shekhar@hpindda.cup.hp.COM (Shekhar Bhide) writes:

>> karl@syssup.tds.philips.nl (Karl Lovink) / 11:14 am  Sep 26, 1990 /
>

>> Hello Netlanders,
>
>> We are looking for a X400 <-> SMTP gateway which is transparent
>> for the end-user.
>> We need this product for one of our customers.
>> Can somebody supply me with information about such products.
>> In a week of two I will summerize all the answer I got.
>

>> Thanks in advance, and kind regards,
>
>Hewlett-Packard has a product called X.400/9000 which is as a X400 <-> SMTP
>gateway, product number is 32031A. Please e-mail me if you need more info..

While the H/P Gateway sits between your X.400 MHS and SMTP, H/P's X.400
is only an MTA:  H/P uses a proprietary mail system on top of that.

In other words, you might pay for functionality you can't or don't
want to use.

While it might not conform to netiquette, I wouldn't mind seeing
an authoritive product description from H/P posted to this newsgroup:
no one with whom I've spoken (H/P rep and others) has been able to clearly
and unambiguously state what X.400/9000 does.  The fact that it is an
X.400 interface to a proprietary e-mail system is something you have
to piece together from the sales literature and vendor descriptions.

Thanks, and may *your* OS not self destruct if you put it to sleep,

Peter W.

#define BORG_OS
if ((sleep_rc=sleep()) == -1)
switch sleep_rc {
case CATNAP:
	self_destruct();
	break;
case NO_USEFUL_VALUE:
	complain("Why are we still running 20th_C_Unix?");
	breaking;
default:
	fill_hole_in_script();
	broken;
}
#endif

khiem@hpinddm.cup.hp.COM (Khiem Ho) (10/02/90)

To: bnrgate!bnr.ca!pww@uunet.uu.NET (Peter Whittaker)
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 14:53:56 PDT
Cc: bnrgate!bnr.ca!mhsnews@ICS.UCI.EDU,
        shekhar@hpinddm.cup.hp.com (Shekhar Bhide)

> While the H/P Gateway sits between your X.400 MHS and SMTP, H/P's X.400
> is only an MTA:  H/P uses a proprietary mail system on top of that.
>
> In other words, you might pay for functionality you can't or don't
> want to use.
>
> While it might not conform to netiquette, I wouldn't mind seeing
> an authoritive product description from H/P posted to this newsgroup:
> no one with whom I've spoken (H/P rep and others) has been able to clearly
> and unambiguously state what X.400/9000 does.  The fact that it is an
> X.400 interface to a proprietary e-mail system is something you have
> to piece together from the sales literature and vendor descriptions.
>
> Peter W.

Peter W. asked for some more info on HP X.400/9000 product. Here's a
brief description. To keep in line with netiquette, if more detailed
info is needed, please contact me.

       +-----------+                         +-----------+
       | ELM/mailx |                         |  OpenMail |
       +-----------+                         +-----------+
       +-----------+
       | Sendmail  |
       +-----------+
    =========================
    |  +-----------+        |                +--------------+
    |  | X4mailer  |        |                | X.400 interf |
    |  +-----------+        |                +--------------+
    |                       ====================
    |                       +----------+       |
    |    		    | Message  |       |
    |  X.400/9000           | Transfer |       |
    |  Product              | Agent    |       |
    |                       +----------+       |
    |                       +----------+       |
    |                       | Reliable |       |
    |                       | Transfer |       |
    |                       | Server   |       |
    |                       +----------+       |
                            +----------+
			    | OSI      |
			    | Transport|
			    | Service  |
			    +----------+
                            +-------------+
                            | X.25 or LAN |
			    +-------------+

The X.400/9000 product includes "x4mailer" to provide X.400 gateway
service to UNIX(r) mail users (a` la SMTP/RFC822/RFC987), besides being
an MTA.  x4mailer is to be used with "sendmail". Some configuration will be
needed.

Another product, HP OpenMail/X.400 Interface allows HP OpenMail product
to integrate with X.400/9000. HP OpenMail is X.400-based mail server.
One among HP OpenMail functionalities is X.400 User Agent application,
supporting terminal as well as PC interfaces.

Other products are needed for a complete OSI stack: OTS/9000 (for
Session and Transport), and X.25/9000 and/or LAN/9000 (for network
service). Only the HP X.400/9000 and the products for lower layers
are required for an RFC822/X.400 gateway.

Khiem Ho
Hewlett-Packard

X.400:    C=US/AD=ATTMAIL/PD=HP/ORG=HP/OU1=HP6600/SN=Ho/GN=Khiem
Internet: khiem@hpinddm.cup.hp.com
Phone:    (408)447-2660

S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.UK (Steve Kille) (10/02/90)

I was surprised to hear that some of you on this list had not seen the
recent PP announcement.  I'll give it here.  Apologies for those of you who
have seen it before.

From:     Steve Kille <S.Kille@uk.ac.ucl.cs>
Subject:  PP 5.0 Release Announcement

To:       Multiple Lists:;
Date:    Fri, 21 Sep 90 11:35:33 BST

We are delighted to annonce the first public release of the
PP Message Transfer Agent.

Steve Kille  + Julian Onions

              A N N O U N C E M E N T

The next release of PP will be available on September 21st, 1990. This
release will be the first general public release. It is known as

                               PP 5.0

PP is a Message Transfer Agent, intended for high volume message
switching, protocol conversion, and format conversion. It is targeted for
use in an operational environment, but may also be useful for investigating
Message related applications. Good management features are a major
aspect of this system. PP supports the 1984 and 1988 versions of the
CCITT X.400 / ISO 10021 services and protocols. Many existing RFC 822
based protocols are supported, along with RFC 1148 conversion to X.400.
PP is an appropriate replacement for MMDF or Sendmail.

   o PP is not proprietary and can be used for any purpose. The only
     restriction is that suing of the authors for any damage the code may
     cause is not allowed.

   o PP runs on a range of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems, in
     particular: SUNOS, Ultrix, and BSD. No kernel modifications are
     required.

   o Current modules include:

       -  X.400 (1984) P1 protocol

       -  JNT Mail (Grey Book) Protocol

       -  Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP / RFC 821)

       -  UUCP Mail transfer

       -  Distribution List expansion and maintenance.

       -  RFC 822 based local delivery

       -  Delivery time processing of messages

       -  Conversion between X.400 and RFC 822 according to RFC 1148
          and RFC 987

       -  Conversion support for reformatting body parts and headers.

       -  X-Windows based management console.

       -  Message Authorisation checking

       -  X.400 (1988) P1 protocol (beta test)

       -  X.500 based distribution list facility using the QUIPU directory
          (beta test)

   o No User Agents (UAs) are included with PP. However, procedural
     access to the MTA is documented, to encourage others to write or to
     port UAs. Several existing UAs, such as MH, may be used with PP.

   o PP 5.0 requires ISODE 6.0. Releases of ISODE before and after 6.0
     cannot be used as alternatives.

                                  1

   o X-Windows release X11R4 is neded by some of the management
     tools. PP can be operated without these tools.

   o Although PP is not "supported" per se (but see later), it does have a
     problem reporting address:

     RFC 822: PP-SUPPORT@CS.UCL.AC.UK

     X.400:    S=PP-Support; OU=CS; O=UCL;
               PRMD=UK.AC; ADMD= ; C=GB;

     Bug reports (and fixes) are welcome.

   o The discussion group PP-PEOPLE@CS.UCL.AC.UK is used as an
     open forum on PP; Contact
     PP-PEOPLE-REQUEST@CS.UCL.AC.UK to be added to this list.

   o The primary documentation for this release consists of a three and a
     half volume User's Manual (approx. 300 pages) and a set of UNIX
     manual pages. The sources to the User's Manual are in LaTeX
     format.

For more information, contact:

     Steve Kille
     Department of Computer Science
     University College London
     Gower Street
     London
     WC1E 6BT
     England

                                  2

DISTRIBUTION SITES

NIFTP

If you run NIFTP over the public X.25 or over JANET, and are registered
in the NRS at Salford, you can use NIFTP with username "guest" and
your own name as password, to access UK.AC.UCL.CS to retrieve the file
pp/pp-5.tar. The file <PP>pp-5.tar.Z is the tar image after being run
through the compress program (approx 2Mb).

FTP

If you can FTP to the Internet from outside Europe, then use anonymous
FTP to uu.psi.com [136.161.128.3] to retrieve the file pp-5.tar.Z in
BINARY mode from the isode/ directory. This file is the tar image after
being run through the compress program and is approximately 2Mb in size.

If you can FTP to the Internet from Europe, then use anonymous FTP to
nic.eu.net [192.16.202.1] to retrieve the file pp-5.tar.Z in BINARY mode
from the network/isode/ directory. This file is the tar image after being
run through the compress program and is approximately 2Mb in size.

EUROPE (tape and documentation)

For mailings in EUROPE, send a cheque or bankers draft and a purchase
order for 200 Pounds Sterling to:

           Postal address: Department of Computer Science
                           Attn: Natalie May/Dawn Bailey
                           University College London
                           Gower Street
                           London, WC1E 6BT
                           UK

For information only:

                  Telephone:  +44 1-380-7214
                  Fax:        +44 1-387-1397
                  Telex:      28722
                  Internet:   natalie@cs.ucl.ac.uk
                              dawn@cs.ucl.ac.uk

Specify one of:

  1. 1600bpi 1/2-inch tape, or

  2. Sun 1/4-inch cartridge tape.

The tape will be written in tar format and returned with a documentation
set. Do not send tapes or envelopes. Documentation only is the same price.

                                  3

EUROPE (tape only)

Tapes without hardcopy documentation can be obtained via the Software
Distribution service of the European Unix User group (EUUG). The PP-5
distribution is called "EUUGD22 - PP (5.0)".

     Postal address:       EUUG Software Distributions
                           c/o Frank Kuiper
                           Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica
                           Kruislaan 413
                           1098 SJ Amsterdam
                           The Netherlands

     For information only:
      Telephone:           +31 20-5924121
                           (or +31 20-5929333)
      Telex:               12571 mactr nl
      Telefax:             +31-20-5924199
      Internet:            euug-tapes@cwi.nl

Specify one of:

  1. 1600bpi 1/2-inch tape: 130 Dutch Guilders

  2. 800bpi 1/2-inch tape: 150 Dutch Guilders

  3. Sun 1/4-inch cartridge tape (QIC-24 format): 190 Dutch Guilders

  4. Sun 1/4-inch cartridge tape (QIC-11 format): 215 Dutch Guilders

If you require DHL this is possible and will be billed through. Note that if
you are not a member of EUUG, then there is an additional handling fee of
300 Dutch Guilders (please encloses a copy of your membership or
contribution payment form when ordering). Do not send money, cheques,
tapes or envelopes, you will be invoiced.

NORTH AMERICA

For mailings in NORTH AMERICA, send a check for 375 US Dollars to:

     Postal address: University of Pennsylvania
                     Moore School
                     Attn: David J. Farber (PP Distribution)
                     200 South 33rd Street
                     Philadelphia, PA 19104-6314
                     US

     Telephone:      +1 215-898-8560

Specify one of:

  1. 1600bpi 1/2-inch tape, or

                                  4

  2. Sun 1/4-inch cartridge tape.

The tape will be written in tar format and returned with a documentation
set. Do not send tapes or envelopes. Documentation only is the same price.

AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND

For mailings in AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND,

  1. If you already have ISODE-6.0, send a cheque for 100 dollars
     Australian to the following address. You will recieve only the PP
     manuals and a PP tape. CLEARLY SPECIFY ON THE CHEQUE
     AND ORDER THAT YOU ONLY WANT PP.

  2. If you do not have ISODE-6.0, send a cheque for 300 dollars
     Australian to the following address. You will recieve a tape
     containing both ISODE-6.0 and PP, together with manuals for both
     ISODE-6.0 and PP.

      Postal address: CSIRO DIT
                      Attn: Andrew Waugh (ISODE Distribution)
                      55 Barry Street
                      Carlton, 3053
                      Australia

For information only:

                   Telephone:   +61 3-347-8644
                   Fax:         +61 3-347-8987
                   Internet:    ajw@ditmela.oz.au

Specify one of:

  1. 1600/3200/6250bpi 1/2-inch tape, or

  2. Sun 1/4_inch cartridge tape in either QIC-11 or QIC-24 format.

The tape will be written in tar format and returned with a documentation
set. Do not send tapes or envelopes. Documentation only is the same price.

FTAM on JANET or PSS

The source code is available by FTAM at the University College London
over X.25 using JANET (DTE 00000511160013) or PSS (DTE
23421920030013) with TSEL 259 (ASCII encoding). Use the "anon"
user-identity and retrieve the file pp-5.tar. The file pp-5.tar.Z is the
tar image after being run through the compress program (2Mb).

                                  5

FTAM on the Internet

The source code is available by FTAM over the Internet at host
osi.nyser.net [192.33.4.10] (TCP port 102 selects the OSI transport
service) with TSEL 259 (numeric encoding). Use the "anon" user-identity,
supply any password, and retrieve pp-5.tar.Z from the isode directory.
This file is the tar image after being run through the compress program
and is approximately 2Mb in size.

Online Postscript

For distributions via FTAM, the file service is provided by the FTAM
implementation in ISODE 5.0 or later (IS FTAM).
For distributions via either FTAM or FTP, there are additional file
available for retrieval, called pp-5-ps-a4.tar.Z and pp-5-ps-us.tar.Z
which are compressed tar images (??MB) containing the entire
documentation set in PostScript format, for A4 and US paper respectively.

SUPPORT

A UK company has been set up to provide support for the ISODE, PP
associated packages - X-Tel Services Ltd. This company provides an
update service, general assistance and site specific support. This company
is closely associated with the development of PP.

               Postal Address:  X-Tel Services Ltd.
                                Tower Block
                                Nottingham University
                                Nottingham, NG7 2RD