[comp.protocols.iso.x400] administrative note: mail loop terminated

mhsnews-request@ICS.UCI.EDU (10/09/90)

In spite of the explanatory message from the European MHSNews list
maintainers, I've received a number of late inquiries about the tidal
wave of error messages that looped through MHSNews.  So, I thought I'd
drop a note to MHSNews myself to explain what happened.

To provide y'all with some background, the MHSNews list is split into
two parts: a "North American" side and a "European" side.  The North
American side is maintained here at ics.uci.edu, and the European side
is maintained at sintef.no, aka uninett.  When the universe smiles
upon us, mail flows in both directions, and both sides see all the
messages.

According to the note from the good folks at sintef.no who are in
charge of the European side of the MHSNews list, they moved their list
over to a new machine.  Unfortunately, in the process, something broke
horribly, causing at least one particular failed mail message to be
propagated back through the list, 'round and 'round.  This is why you
all saw multiple copies of these error messages.

The postmaster at sintef.no found the problem relatively quickly,
fixed it, and notified the list about what happened.  That
notification is included below, in case any of you missed it.  A few
stragglers from the loop may still be oozing their way across various
network connections, but the primary problem has been fixed already.
At least, no more copies have shown up here.  I wouldn't be surprised
if some of you out there see a few last error messages squirming out
of the net-muck, but try to be patient, and it should stop altogether.

s/ Jerry Sweet
MHSNews-Request@ICS.UCI.EDU