[comp.protocols.iso.x400] Was: X.400 version 88? Correction on previous post!

rothstein@nutmeg.enet.dec.COM ("Lee Rothstein, 603-884-0039") (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct1.091921.3178@idt.unit.no>,
harald.alvestrand@elab-runit.sintef.no writes...

>In message <15515@shlump.nac.dec.com>, rothstein@nutmeg.enet.dec.COM
>("Lee Rothstein, 603-884-0039") writes:

>> ALL-IN-1 MAIL is a 1988 P2 conformant UA developed and marketed
>> by Digital.

>Now that PP is out, with a "1988 version beta test channel", it should be
>possible to start some interworking tests.

>Who else has got X.400/88 implemented?

First, and most important, I erred when I said that ALL-IN-1 MAIL
was 1988 P2 conformant.  It is 1984 P2 conformant.  I apologize
for any misimpressions I may have created.  It was an inadvertant
error.

Second, what is "PP"?

Thanks,

Lee
| Lee Rothstein * UUCP: {purdue,ucbvax,hplabs,labrea,sun, |
|  pyramid,gryphon,angelo}!decwrl!nutmeg.dec.com!rothstein|
|   * Arpa/Domain Address: rothstein@nutmeg.enet.dec.com  |

stef@ICS.UCI.EDU (Einar Stefferud) (10/09/90)

I think it is imporant to ask how it is that All-In-One, which is
conformant to the old NBS FIPS which underlays the DEC MailRouter stuff
cvan be said to conform to anny aspect of X.400!  The addresses in A-1
are routing addressses with multipole @signs, etc, et a., ad nauseum.

A-1 is really just a user agent, if my understanding in correct, and DEC
has put an X.400 Gateway (MRX) on the edges of the MailRouter "domain",
which buffers A-q from any direct contact with X.400.

So what is this all about.  How is A-1 conformant with any version of
X.400?

Best...\Stef

SXKAC%ALASKA.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Kurt Carlson) (10/09/90)

> Date: Mon, 08 Oct 90 15:26:18 -0700
> From: Einar Stefferud <stef@ics.uci.edu>

> So what is this all about.  How is A-1 conformant with any version of
> X.400?

Dec's message router with the MRX gateway is conformant to x.400 1984.
A1Mail *is* indeed a User Agent (actually, a Message Store + UA). I can't
comment on how compatable old All-In-1 Mail is with x.400, we've hung our
own UA off of the Message Router... their programmer's kit is quite
functional.  The 'free' VMSMail has a crude gateway to MR and hence
MRX/x.400... crude may be a kind description.  The newer A1Mail services
appear to be well integrated with Message Router which does seem to be
evolving from the old NBS standards to x.400.

The word I heard from Dec (a year ago, have not attended any conferences
or seminars since) was that the Message Router will be natively x.400
in a future release.  They expect the MRX product to remain as a tool
for filtering / securing an x.400 network from others.  I did not see
any definitive description on this or any time table.

They also have statement of direction for their directory service component
of message router / mailbus (DDS) to become x.500 compliant.  We continue
to use our own (non-x.500) directory services until theirs is closer to
x.500 and until they provide a programmer's kit for dds.

regards,
kurt carlson   university of alaska computer network <sxkac@alaska.bitnet>

rothstein@nutmeg.enet.dec.COM ("Lee Rothstein, 603-884-0039") (10/10/90)

In article <23448.655424778@ics.uci.edu>, stef@ICS.UCI.EDU
(Einar Stefferud) writes...

>I think it is imporant to ask how it is that All-In-One, which is
>conformant to the old NBS FIPS which underlays the DEC MailRouter stuff
>cvan be said to conform to anny aspect of X.400!  The addresses in A-1
>are routing addressses with multipole @signs, etc, et a., ad nauseum.

>A-1 is really just a user agent, if my understanding in correct, and DEC
>has put an X.400 Gateway (MRX) on the edges of the MailRouter "domain",
>which buffers A-q from any direct contact with X.400.

>So what is this all about.  How is A-1 conformant with any version of
>X.400?

>Best...\Stef

Stef,

ALL-IN-1 (tm) is a brand name, now.  What you are calling
"All-In-One", we now call ALL-IN-1 Integrated Office System
(IOS). ALL-IN-1 MAIL is a whole new implementation of mail, and
is not the same as the current mail (the one you are referring
to) inside ALL-IN-1 IOS.

ALL-IN-1 MAIL can exchange P2 conformant messages with other
X.400 MHSes through MRX.

Thanks for your interest,